If Mort Divine ruled the world

Order taking is the first line. Food production is becoming more streamlined. You can run an entire restaurant in some cases with no more than 3-4 people there even at peak times.

With more online orders = more delivery drivers

Other half of your post is kind of bullshit

I'm not talking about online orders. I'm talking about customers ordering for themselves via touchscreens.

I can't help you don't know what I'm talking about. I guess you never eat subs at the least.

I live in 1 of the techiest places in the US and that doesn't happen. Even if it does, you still have to have a cashier to manage the transaction so it's not like you're losing employment

some people will get fired and some people will remain employed at the new minimum wage

doesn't mean the economy is better

I live in 1 of the techiest places in the US and that doesn't happen. Even if it does, you still have to have a cashier to manage the transaction so it's not like you're losing employment

If it's card kiosk only and everything is streamlined to need only a max of like 3 people working the food assembly stations (and sometimes only 1), that's a serious reduction in payroll hours from a decade or three ago.

I'm working part time in retail again until school starts, and I see payroll reduction here even since I worked at this place a little over a year ago. It's dived from 5-6 guys at peak hours in my dept to occasionally 1. And that's with no tech disruption yet, and we're all PT or temp, so it's not to save more on benefits or anything.

If it's card kiosk only and everything is streamlined to need only a max of like 3 people working the food assembly stations (and sometimes only 1), that's a serious reduction in payroll hours from a decade or three ago.

I'm working part time in retail again until school starts, and I see payroll reduction here even since I worked at this place a little over a year ago. It's dived from 5-6 guys at peak hours in my dept to occasionally 1. And that's with no tech disruption yet, and we're all PT or temp, so it's not to save more on benefits or anything.

I don't really know what you're referring to so unless I get some sort of example I don't really want to go any farther

no one is arguing that it makes the economy better or worse you weirdo
it'll be -marginally- better for those who keep their job and get the new rate. they will get taxed more and prices will go up anyway.

it'll be bad for those who get fired

it'll be bad for higher skilled workers who might never get a raise because their low skilled coworkers got a raise

it'll be bad for businesses that close

it'll be bad for the economy overall

Last edited:
My local McDonalds has 8 touch screen order machines, you can't order at the counter unless it's ridiculously busy. My local K-Mart and Target don't have manned registers at all.
Rms makes a decent point about the online ordering = more drivers but how does that translate to places like K-Mart? Where are the jobs shifted to when it's all self-service?

I never argued that supermarkets aren't seeing a slight drop in employment due to the cash register future, but Dak said automated in the food industry. I don't agree with that statement right now.

I never argued that supermarkets aren't seeing a slight drop in employment due to the cash register future, but Dak said automated in the food industry. I don't agree with that statement right now.

Lots of chain restaurants are moving towards touchscreen ordering. Have you been to red robin, chili's, etc lately? You can order and pay your bill via the touchscreen. You really just have someone seat you and bring the food.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
Obviously you accept that manned registers are a dying thing in the fast food industry though, right?

Nah, because the industry was already set up in a way to maximize efficiency per employee. Waiters already manage ~10 tables and the hostess isn't going to be replaced by a computer any time soon. Now at a McDonald's, can someone just walk up and order their food like they are in the delivery window but they are inside? I assume so, but it reminds me of the Office Space scene..

Lots of chain restaurants are moving towards touchscreen ordering. Have you been to red robin, chili's, etc lately? You can order and pay your bill via the touchscreen. You really just have someone seat you and bring the food.

But someone is bringing you that tablet or card reader. I don't think it's revolutionizing the industry or anything like that

No fast food waitresses as far as I know. For some reason we are expected to throw extra money at the bitch who's job it is in the first place to bring us our food at sit down restaurants though.

That doesn't really translate for me, we don't have waitresses in fast food restaurants here for the most part. Unless you're talking about genuine restaurants.

Hmm. So it's just a matter of time?

I don't think everyone is a cook, maybe i'm wrong and they just take turns. But some, like chick fil a, have someone bring you your food.

Honestly, even if the clientele could just walk up, pick a table and be expected to seat themselves, I don't think that would ever happen. Someone has to oversee to ensure a lack of anarchy on the table selection system.

I honestly don't know how to remove people from the restaraunt work force outside of expecting people to pick up their own food/drinks and pay a central location

Waiter/Waitresses make like pennies an hour or something outside of tips. But when you can make your order/pay on a tablet at the table, including refills, you can stretch "waiters/waitresses" much further.

Don't you guys have some kind of tax policy in regards to tipping systems wherein the employer assumes they make a certain amount in tips and taxes them via that assumption whether they make those tips or not?