If Mort Divine ruled the world

That's exactly why it isn't useless, in fact. He's a major conservative voice in Hollywood, and he got there by exploiting a conservative streak in the demand for popular entertainment. You can't just say he doesn't count because he's too popular.

But aside from Eastwood, you have Michael Bay films, Peter Berg films, Paul Greengrass films (to name three directors) all of which draw tons of money and none of which care about being politically correct.

He was established well before the bias really took hold, so again, pointless. He was established before the 70's even came along. More credible examples would be recently established people, of which there aren't very many. Vince Vaughn didn't come out as a republican conservative until well after he was established.

It produces some of that, surely; but it also has plenty of room for right-leaning films and writers.

Any examples? Patricia Heaton actually noticed that she lost work right after she became publicly conservative. I don't really see a lot of examples supporting your refusal to accept this bias.

He was established well before the bias really took hold, so again, pointless. He was established before the 70's even came along. More credible examples would be recently established people, of which there aren't very many. Vince Vaughn didn't come out as a republican conservative until well after he was established.

No, you're wrong. I'm sorry, refusing to acknowledge Eastwood's influence within Hollywood is asinine. If anything, the fact that he has managed to remain so popular for so long speaks volumes.

Any examples? Patricia Heaton actually noticed that she lost work right after she became publicly conservative. I don't really see a lot of examples supporting your refusal to accept this bias.

I've already listed three other directors, at least - Michael Bay, Peter Berg, and Paul Greengrass.

It doesn't speak volumes at all, because the bias mostly involves getting your foot in the door, so to speak, Eastwood built the door, no smug Hollywood leftist can keep him out of his own door.

I guess all those closeted conservatives and republicans in Hollywood are just imagining things.

No, you're wrong. I'm sorry, refusing to acknowledge Eastwood's influence within Hollywood is asinine. If anything, the fact that he has managed to remain so popular for so long speaks volumes.

Clint is interesting..he is clearly the most prominent (male) conservative in Hollywood but films like the Iwo Jima depict a rather 'progressive' depiction of American war films...then he does Lone Survivor which is quite the opposite.

All money hungry bastards in the end, I say

This stuff is all well documented and there are many audio and video recordings of upper tier Hollywood liberals admitting it. As well as admitting that those on the right in Hollywood keep their views hidden due to the bias in Hollywood.

It doesn't speak volumes at all, because the bias mostly involves getting your foot in the door, so to speak, Eastwood built the door, no smug Hollywood leftist can keep him out of his own door.

I guess all those closeted conservatives and republicans in Hollywood are just imagining things.

He has a "door" because millions of people pay to see his films. Hollywood doesn't have room for conservative voices? Bullshit.

Clint is interesting..he is clearly the most prominent (male) conservative in Hollywood but films like the Iwo Jima depict a rather 'progressive' depiction of American war films...then he does Lone Survivor which is quite the opposite.

All money hungry bastards in the end, I say

Lone Survivor was Peter Berg, not Eastwood. Do you mean American Sniper?

All of this is completely ignoring television, by the way: 24, Homeland, et al.

This stuff is all well documented and there are many audio and video recordings of upper tier Hollywood liberals admitting it. As well as admitting that those on the right in Hollywood keep their views hidden due to the bias in Hollywood.

They don't though. Bruce Willis, Gary Sinise, Jon Voight... come on man, these guys are all known conservatives. They may not tweet like DiCaprio, but their politics aren't keeping them out of Hollywood by any means.

You're pushing this Hollywood-as-leftist-propaganda thing way too hard.

Last edited:
the right do it all the time, quite honestly. Hiding it on twitter, hiding it on college campuses, hiding it in hollywood -- yet everyone knows their views

victims all around

Lone Survivor was Peter Berg, not Eastwood. Do you mean American Sniper?

All of this is completely ignoring television, by the way: 24, Homeland, et a

oops. yep, American Sniper.

All of this is completely ignoring television, by the way: 24, Homeland, et al.

As in these shows are progressive or conservative? Didn't watch 24 but did spend a few seasons on Homeland

So we have literal handful of non-vocal actors and a couple of movies and TV shows as evidence? Looks like an exception proving the rule example.

Read Primetime Propaganda and get back to me. Unless you already have?

I have not. And if having read that book is a precondition for having this conversation, then I concede.

So we have literal handful of non-vocal actors and a couple of movies and TV shows as evidence? Looks like an exception proving the rule example.

I never have claimed that Hollywood has no liberals, or that it isn't left-leaning (see my above response to no country).

What I am claiming is that it isn't some immense liberal propaganda machine, and that it doesn't preclude conservative voices or films. These are all over the place if you only look for them. Although, I suppose you also have to want to see them, which neither of you seem to want to do...

Shapiro identifies how many more shows/actors/writers than me? Oh, that's right - not that many. And Dak, I can think of more examples, but it's not my primary concern to placate or convince the two of you. Just to accuse you both of overstating the point. :D

. And Dak, I can think of more examples, but it's not my primary concern to placate or convince the two of you. Just to accuse you both of overstating the point. :D

I'm not saying there's no examples of conservatism, of course I probably wouldn't count some examples you would either. it does seem as though you think anything that isn't about LGBT rights or something as maybe conservative. That's the only explanation I can think of for including Berg on your list.

I would just assume that leftist films would be shoving PC culture down our throats at every turn. Berg's films definitely don't do that...

To be honest, this is a tiring discussion. You both have a stronger conviction about the "truth" of these things, but for me it's a matter of perspective and interpretation. I see conservative values surface in films ranging from 13 Hours, to Captain America, to 300. I don't think these films are necessarily pushing a conservative agenda, but to say there are no conservative voices in Hollywood, or that they're routinely supressed, simply overlooks the plethora of films that exhibit (unconsciously or otherwise) noticeably right-wing values.

Hollywood isn't a propaganda machine one way or another, it's just a conglomerate of various politically-minded people, some of whom are more vocal than others and many of whom (especially the younger ones) respond to the hip PC culture of modern social media. If there are some liberals who think of Hollywood as an outlet for their cause, then fine. None of this means that Hollywood is in the liberal pocket and subject to liberals' demands.

None of this means that Hollywood is in the liberal pocket and subject to liberals' demands.

I don't think anyone made that claim. The point is that the script writing and acceptance and funding is much more heavily influenced by those of a liberal persuasion. I did a search for "conservatives in hollywood" and got some pretty short lists (all with the same people) when you think about the totality of people in the industry.

I did find this, which may be what you are thinking of when you say "conservative":

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...but-not-in-the-way-liberals-often-say/266960/

I'm no longer sure putting the individual on a pedestal is conservative.

Well, CIG said explicitly that "the left has Hollywood" and then cited a book by Ben Shapiro that claims to expose the liberal conspiracy in Hollywood. These strike me as hypoerbolic claims.

My identification of conservative values in Hollywood is multifaceted and doesn't reduce to one thing, but I'm just not interested in providing an in-depth explanation.

Reactions: Dak