If Mort Divine ruled the world

zabu of nΩd;11056625 said:

I think the author is being a bit sensationalist by referring to this as an intuition or "sixth sense"; but it makes some sense that women may be more tuned in to certain things more than men. I would attribute this to any enhanced ability or intuition, but simply a tendency to pay closer attention to certain details. The signs are there for both women and men to read, it's just a matter of who chooses to do the reading. Perhaps social position and treatment have led women to observe certain details more closely.

It is also something of a cultural phenomenon that those "in power" tend to project threatening supernatural abilities into those inferior groups. In Walker Percy's The Moviegoer, a white character insists that black people have a "sixth sense." This is something of a trend in early twentieth-century fiction, and it goes back to colonial humanism, in which colonizers perceived threatening powers in subjugated peoples, deriving from some anti-Christian source.

Seems derived from the whole theory that men are hunters who see the big picture and into the distance, while women are gatherers who zero in on the finer details and lose sight of the big picture.

I think the author is being a bit sensationalist by referring to this as an intuition or "sixth sense"; but it makes some sense that women may be more tuned in to certain things more than men. I would attribute this to any enhanced ability or intuition, but simply a tendency to pay closer attention to certain details. The signs are there for both women and men to read, it's just a matter of who chooses to do the reading. Perhaps social position and treatment have led women to observe certain details more closely.

It is also something of a cultural phenomenon that those "in power" tend to project threatening supernatural abilities into those inferior groups. In Walker Percy's The Moviegoer, a white character insists that black people have a "sixth sense." This is something of a trend in early twentieth-century fiction, and it goes back to colonial humanism, in which colonizers perceived threatening powers in subjugated peoples, deriving from some anti-Christian source.

Good point about the projection of supernatural abilities on inferior groups. Another good example of that is Nazi propaganda against Jews.

I also agree that the signs are there for anyone to read, though I'd say that because our culture conditions men to hide their emotions more, it's difficult for men who interact primarily with other men to learn nonverbal code.

Except that women perpetuate that supernatural ability bullshit more than men, whereas you don't see the other minorities that are claimed to have supernatural abilities that you mentioned continuing the myth themselves.

It's almost always women that go on about having women's intuition, but I've never heard a black person claim they have some supernatural instinct or some shit, is my point.

You tried to make a comparison between what's said about women having supernatural ability/sixth sense to weird racist superstitious rumour.

Ein lives around woman unlike any in the rest of the western sphere it seems. I concur with CIG. WOMEN KNOW is something I've heard all my life, and yet they don't.

Read what I fucking wrote. I admitted that it makes sense that women might be more perceptive toward certain details - the same way that black people were more perceptive than white people toward racism. I said that it's probably heavy-handed to suggest that women have a "sixth sense."

Women don't purport any kind of supernatural power. This is your ridiculous and hostile reaction to their claims to knowledge. Stop claiming that you have superior knowledge of women's behavior and access to a larger pool or some shit.

That's what you said.

Now stop trying to imply that there's a parallel between what women often say about themselves and what racists say about minorities.

I can't even follow your arguments. Nor do I care to.

In that post I was saying that it is a trend of dominant cultural attitudes to project "supernatural" traits into subjugated peoples. I never said that women themselves perpetuate these beliefs. You said this.

It my be heavy handed on the woman's part but it's not hostile on mine. My mom provided a pretty good educational environment all things considered, and I don't find it problematic that I claim access to a larger pool given my homeschooling upbringing. Maybe elementary is radically different from other stages of public schooling, but my brother only ever met like 3 moms in his public highschool days, whereas we met every mom in our homeschool group(s) - repeatedly. And I don't imagine CIG or other contributors are as sheltered as myself.

As noted, the "women's intuition" thing might be a myth, but to state that they "don't purport to have supernatural powers" is to stretch the point. No one is claiming (including women) that women have a "supernatural" power. But women will be the first to push "women know", across all sorts of class and racial boundaries.

If you knew shit about indigenous Australians you'd know that kids are primarily raised by mothers, aunts, sisters and grandmothers.
Same with the black community in America, don't be so fucking condescending.

Also, I'll put it as simply as I can, do not conflate a myth women perpetuate about themselves (not "those in power" aka men) with racist myths spread about minorities to breed fear.

If you don't understand that, then you're just being purposely dense.

Your experience is no better than mine.

Women may very well say such things about themselves - but men say it infinitely more. Men are the ones who insist that women are unknowable and that they have some kind of secret ability. This is a trope of popular films and cinema, especially romantic comedies. It's also what I've heard my father, brother, and politicians say for years.

If I'm condescending it's only because you're both being irrational. You and CIG are making claims that a) have no plausible claims to reality, and b) say more about your hostility toward women than any insight into the world.

The point is it has no actual reference point in reality. We can all appeal to individual experience, but this is a pointless and simplistic source of evidence. I called CIG out because he made a claim to which there is no possible substantiation. It's just a dumb claim.

You didn't call me out, get over yourself.

I've only ever heard the intuition myth perpetuated by women, so who's life experience counts more? Because you seem to be implying yours does.