If you're new to metal, can listening to Extreme metal first spoil metal for you?

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
Okay I first go into a lot of metal about 3 years ago in 2014. But I did something that's a little wrong in the eyes of myself. That I finally figured out basically yesterday. My buddy at the local guitar repair center said my issue is that when I first started listening to metal, I probably started with extreme stuff. To which I did. I was listening to a lot of Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Exodus, Pantera, and Slayer of the likes and such. He stated that it may have spoiled my taste in metal. Because I want to start a band in the future and I have issues going with style. Wanting to either go for a more classical Maiden or Priest sound vs something like what I've stated above. I do want to try to innovate both styles further. But in a sense where I started off in metal first makes it hard to go back to the lighter stuff and appreciate everything that came before, including just good old Hard Rock and the likes. Because I go extreme, all I'm going to want to hear is extreme. And while I like extreme, I can't just go off on extreme as the only influence. It might just be a matter of what I like, but extreme can get boring for me and sound all the same. Do you think this is true? Is there a way I can figure out this issue?

No there's not just 1 taste in metal everyone should have. Keep listening and you will find something you like in each subgenre. You will prefer some subgenre over others most likely but that's sort of how taste works. It doesn't matter, do what you like.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
No there's not just 1 taste in metal everyone should have. Keep listening and you will find something you like in each subgenre. You will prefer some subgenre over others most likely but that's sort of how taste works. It doesn't matter, do what you like.
I know. It's difficult for me to choose taste though. I find inspiration from both. But I find both have their drawbacks, plus their pros. I don't want to play 1000 miles an hour all the time, or be lyrical constrained to the whole death and war stuff of extreme metal. But at the same time, when it comes to the classic stuff, I don't want to be bored or lack the punch. I'm using my influences to form a band in the future and this is more of a style thing.

Your buddy at the guitar repair shop is talking rubbish. There's no way to "spoil" your taste in metal. If you're hankering for less extremity, go listen to some less extreme stuff. It's that simple.

Reactions: CiG
i started with metalcore and modern death metal and can appreciate most but not all osdm. but many of the traditional heavy metal bands that are considered classics are boring to me.

The conventional way of getting in to metal is starting with the less intense bands, like The Who, the working your way up to thrash metal, and finally, you will develop an appreciation for black metal and death metal.

You will get bored with anything if you listen to it too much.

The conventional way of getting in to metal is starting with the less intense bands, like The Who, the working your way up to thrash metal, and finally, you will develop an appreciation for black metal and death metal.

You will get bored with anything if you listen to it too much.
Yeah I know that now. But I listen to some stuff to see where I wanna go musically and it puts me in a conundrum.

The conventional way of getting in to metal is starting with the less intense bands, like IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, SAXON, DIAMOND HEAD, TYGERS OF PAN TANG, MERCYFUL FATE, ETC., the working your way up to thrash metal, and finally, you will develop an appreciation for black metal and death metal.
Just thought I'd fix that.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
No. My first metal bands were shred guitarists, Necrophagist, Nile, and grindcore bands like Pig Destroyer. Now, I practically never listen to those bands and almost exclusively listen to traditional doom, NWOBHM, and 80s metal.

You can start wherever you want. I started with Metallica, Ozzy and Dream Theater. One person I introduced to metal only liked Stoner at first. It just depends on prior tastes, not everyone is going to like Iron Maiden either. I still don't like them.