I'm using an EMG81 impulse, what do you think?

Scottxx

Apr 23, 2009
Hi guys,

I was using since long time an EMG81 impulse that I found at the forum a long time ago. My pickups are Seymour Duncan JB SH-4. Adding this impulse first in the chain gives me more mid tone and near the EMG81 sound. Did you use it? Is it degrading the sound? Was it a good impulse to use?

I tried the Acmebargig pickup plugin but didn't like it too much.

I need your thoughts, thank you.

I would like to know more about that impulse, the AcmerBargig pickup plugin didn't work very well for hi-gain
stuff for me, but it worked pretty well to get a more mellow sound out of the active seymour duncans in
my charvel.

What an interesting concept!

Assuming the impulse accurately portrays the individual pickup characteristics, this could save people a ton of money.

I have tried using curve eq to eq a DI guitar recorded with an emg 81 with the frequency curve of an emg 85. I did this when I was first considering to use an 85 in the bridge. It gave me more of an idea how the 85 would sound in that particular guitar.

It worked reasonably well, but an emg 81 and 85 are not nearly as different as an emg 85 and a passive duncan.

Didn't work for me very well, I just use ReaEq for that guitar at the moment.
Cutting a few lows, boosting some mids and high mids and stuff because it's
an older gibson neck pickup that I got in the neck position of my Ibanez SZ atm...
Gonna get me a set of EMGs for it next year.