IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Metal Injection's article about IF releasing Save Me is hilarious.

"Save Me is what you'd basically expect from In Flames these days."

That's about it haha

The author just says at the end he's looking forward to Jesper's new material as a send off to the article

I never knew enough about it, but the mix and production of these songs, besides the bland, forgettable structure and writing... Is just weak.

Metal, even this simplified pop-metal sound they're going for... Should still sound "massive"... In the sense that the music should be booming even when it's softer at times, just some kind of power at least.

Ghost has great production and they're basically a melodic hard rock band... And their ballads sound more "powerful" than the heavier songs from Battles we've heard so far...

Honestly for the first time I am not excited for an IF release. I agree with the production being weak, it has no mass to it. I listen to the singles and they don't have a punch to them at all.

Reactions: only4theweak187
If the songs we've heard so far were run through an EKG meter the lines on the screen would stay pretty horizontal haha

I haven't posted on here in years, but I still lurk to see the thoughts of other people on the progression of the In Flames sound and what it is to be a fan of this band.

Personally I find following IF increasingly frustrating as they just seem to become inexplicably less and less interested in playing or recording music I enjoy listening to. I don't like sticking the boot in, far from it... I hero worshipped these guys for most of my adolescence, they're my most-listened to artist by far, almost doubling the total of the next band down on that list.

It's not even like I'm an old-school elitist snob, Come Clarity was my gateway IF album and there are some individual songs on Reroute, Soundtrack and even ASOP that I adore (especially the songs that sound least like typical IF: Metaphor, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in a Closet etc.)... I think SOAPF is a record with a similar pedigree to the "big four", I may even prefer it to Colony. So I'm not ideologically against the idea of IF "evolving" or not producing a traditional Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal record every time they release an album.

I just feel that they're so much better than Siren Charms and the tracks I've heard so far from Battles... I was listening to the chorus of Paralyzed earlier on, it didn't even seem to mean anything, it was just like a list of empty, cliched lyrical platitudes and far too much of SC was the same, like an incongruous stream of consciousness rant that seemingly progressed independently to the music that underlay it. Music that lacked any spark of sophistication or creativity.

In the Battles tracks I hear some good ideas and slight hints of the band that once was but it's not like CC or SOAPF where they successfully managed to incorporate elements of their whole sound up to that point as well as taking their music to a new place. It seems that Anders is still fixated on the lowest-common-denominator brand of songwriting he adopted on SC, where any degree of lyrical sophistication has been replaced by a vague series of statements "Are we the only ones? It's all dark in here, Do I just waste my time?". I mean, it doesn't have to be "For those who cling to this dominion will partake in its fall" or "Gather the faithful and propose a toast to the epoch of indifference", but how do you go from writing lyrics with that degree of sophistication to the latter as your skills in the language (presumably) improve? I don't get it...

The last time IF came to my country, they played ONE song I wanted to hear, or hadn't heard live before... Resin. Going to see them at the moment, if you don't live in Sweden where they generally play a more varied set, just seems like a big musical cocktease...

Anyway, I've had my rant, I'll crawl back under my rock...

GrameSinclair's post is perfectly fair and concise.

Your curiosity is pretty much felt by at least half of us here while the other half would say you're crazy for pondering perfectly acceptable things

Reactions: Midas and AtotheK
I haven't posted on here in years, but I still lurk to see the thoughts of other people on the progression of the In Flames sound and what it is to be a fan of this band.

Personally I find following IF increasingly frustrating as they just seem to become inexplicably less and less interested in playing or recording music I enjoy listening to. I don't like sticking the boot in, far from it... I hero worshipped these guys for most of my adolescence, they're my most-listened to artist by far, almost doubling the total of the next band down on that list.

It's not even like I'm an old-school elitist snob, Come Clarity was my gateway IF album and there are some individual songs on Reroute, Soundtrack and even ASOP that I adore (especially the songs that sound least like typical IF: Metaphor, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in a Closet etc.)... I think SOAPF is a record with a similar pedigree to the "big four", I may even prefer it to Colony. So I'm not ideologically against the idea of IF "evolving" or not producing a traditional Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal record every time they release an album.

I just feel that they're so much better than Siren Charms and the tracks I've heard so far from Battles... I was listening to the chorus of Paralyzed earlier on, it didn't even seem to mean anything, it was just like a list of empty, cliched lyrical platitudes and far too much of SC was the same, like an incongruous stream of consciousness rant that seemingly progressed independently to the music that underlay it. Music that lacked any spark of sophistication or creativity.

In the Battles tracks I hear some good ideas and slight hints of the band that once was but it's not like CC or SOAPF where they successfully managed to incorporate elements of their whole sound up to that point as well as taking their music to a new place. It seems that Anders is still fixated on the lowest-common-denominator brand of songwriting he adopted on SC, where any degree of lyrical sophistication has been replaced by a vague series of statements "Are we the only ones? It's all dark in here, Do I just waste my time?". I mean, it doesn't have to be "For those who cling to this dominion will partake in its fall" or "Gather the faithful and propose a toast to the epoch of indifference", but how do you go from writing lyrics with that degree of sophistication to the latter as your skills in the language (presumably) improve? I don't get it...

The last time IF came to my country, they played ONE song I wanted to hear, or hadn't heard live before... Resin. Going to see them at the moment, if you don't live in Sweden where they generally play a more varied set, just seems like a big musical cocktease...

Anyway, I've had my rant, I'll crawl back under my rock...

Great post bro. I pretty much agree with everything.

I WISH they would let go of the name "In Flames". They won't, because it's got drag to it... Anyway, In Flames has evolved into... Without Flames.

...Yes, I'm sinking as low as to a Pokémon joke.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
This thread is my favorite kind of cancer!

Do you know what bothers me about Save Me the most, and what will probably my biggest pet peeve with the record? The fucking lyrics. This record was hyped up as inner battles and Anders wanting to reach out to everyone, dig so fucking down you will have flashbacks of your parents belting you and throwing you out from the first floor window in a cold Winter night.

And what we get? What we fucking get?!?!?! SAVE ME, SAVE ME, NO RELLY, SAVE ME PLOX!! It drives me insane.

I don't care if the lyrics are simple or short, I already talked about in regards of Like You Better Dead that less is sometimes more. For example, look at Evil In A Closet. It's nothing fancy lyrically, it's a short song, it doesn't even have proper verses. But the way he/they made that sound is really touching, you can feel his pain.

And here's Save Me without any weight whatsoever. How am I supposed to take the lyrical meaning seriously when even the singer does not give a half damn about it?

Ooooh, I spent my sketch lyrics to Howard in advance, oh my God, I've never done such a thing before, but he wanted to see my purest, raw feelings, to make these songs an absolute punch to the guts!!! REALLY? DID YOU SEND HIM A NOTE WITH SAVE ME WRITTEN ALL OVER IT WHICH RESULTED IN THIS DEEPLY TOUCHING (not) PERFORMANCE?

Absolute provocation. I told you how I am not a great fan of the US metal scene, because they all sound the fucking same, but man, they do a pretty decent job at sounding depressed and/or angry.

ZzzzZzzzzzzzZzz

On a side note, I'm really diggin' starkill's new album that came out today.

Holy shit, it's like a parody of Lacuna Coil. You know, Lacuna Coil being actually decent, and this being intentionally shit.

I never understood bands like this. Yeah, yeah, this is the first and probably last song I heard from them, but Save Me sounds like something composed by Mozart compared to this. There are great (well, at least decent) bands with female vocalists: Epica, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Lacey Sturm/Flyleaf, Pretty And The Reckless. Hell, there's that death or melodeath band as well, where the chick growls like a madman, if you are into that.

But this? This is pale as fuck, and it annoys the heck out of me, that the only reason that girl is there is because it's cool and she looks nice. Now, combine it with basic background metal music and the lyrics of a 16 years old and you get that song. Oh well...

Let's see, my notes:
1. Fix your teeth, motherfucker.
2. ... but learn English first I suppose.
3. The story of how Joe ended up in IF is still a fucked up one.
4. That (half) ass is going to be the highlight of this video, isn't it?
5. Wow, Joe hit the drums hard. HIRED!
6. I agree, alcohol does bring out one's true personality. Life advices with Anders Fridén!
7. The interviewer made a move on Anders. Haha, go for it bud!!
8. I might fall asleep.
9. Here we go, the lyrics...
10. YOU ARE SAYING THE SAME SHIT FOR 4 MINUTES NOW
11. This is fucking awful.
12. I'll admit it, I never thought about nuclear weapons while listening to The Truth.
13. Jesus fucking christ, two people who can't speak English fluently... I am having an aneurism watching this shit.
14. VOCAL COACH VOCAL COACH VOCAL COACH VOCAL COACH VOCÉLAKFÉLA ,ÉLA,FSÉAKSAÉ OFSDLÉFAKFÉLASK WHATTTHWHA MVOCLSAKÉÁSF
15. "Eventually I want to play them all" - hmm. "Star off slow with a few songs" - hmmm hmmm.

Reactions: AtotheK
I WISH they would let go of the name "In Flames". They won't, because it's got drag to it...

Without that name and bunch of good albums people hope to hear live, they would be unknown band nobody would give a fuck.

Now, that would be a brave move from our mighty songwriting duo.

Reactions: eochaid and Midas
"We do drum programming, then we remove them and do real drums."
Anders seems aware of what people say about the drums. I still do not hear real drums when I listen, but it may be... and if so, the sound still is shit.

Reactions: AtotheK