IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Been lurking more than a decade, maybe even posted before? TJR, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman are the canonical 4 for me. Honestly after Reroute I tuned out for a few years, but CC is good (though production blown out), ASOP & EP are okay (weak production),SOAPF good (production and guitar sound a little too clean?/streamlined?/"modern "?), SC (uh, no thanks, haven't felt desire to re listen in the past 2 years).

Total agree with the discussion on post-Friedman production being a problem forever and ever. They didn't understand how crucial that producer was to defining their sound. But I can understand them wanting to be more in control of their destiny, but WTF, it took a decade to get a decent sound again (SOAPF).

I personally though The End was good but safe and definitely had an ASOP vibe. I immediately thought The Truth was better. Yeah, everyone is complaining but at least the song sounded good musically to me and different. But I can't stand Through My Eyes. Those crap MIDI cymbals are banging a hole into the right side of my head every chorus. Save Me is crap too. At least no Wah solo though.

I can't get over the cognitive dissonance I get after seeing those Take This Life and Bullet Ride live videos. Anders does sound beast, but agree those 2000 videos beat all...

The problem is In Flames keeps hitting all the old songs awesome live, then they put out this crap. They tease us like that.

^Agreed about how well they still play the old songs... Seeing Clayman and Bullet Ride played live last year was amazing. I hope they continue to play some songs from this awesome setlist they played in late 2015:

set.jpg

I find it to be a great mix of old & new, I hope this type of show continues. Would've been epic to see live as this set was only played in Europe before they went back to the studio and I'm in the states.

Been lurking more than a decade, maybe even posted before? TJR, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman are the canonical 4 for me. Honestly after Reroute I tuned out for a few years, but CC is good (though production blown out), ASOP & EP are okay (weak production),SOAPF good (production and guitar sound a little too clean?/streamlined?/"modern "?), SC (uh, no thanks, haven't felt desire to re listen in the past 2 years).

Total agree with the discussion on post-Friedman production being a problem forever and ever. They didn't understand how crucial that producer was to defining their sound. But I can understand them wanting to be more in control of their destiny, but WTF, it took a decade to get a decent sound again (SOAPF).

I personally though The End was good but safe and definitely had an ASOP vibe. I immediately thought The Truth was better. Yeah, everyone is complaining but at least the song sounded good musically to me and different. But I can't stand Through My Eyes. Those crap MIDI cymbals are banging a hole into the right side of my head every chorus. Save Me is crap too. At least no Wah solo though.

I can't get over the cognitive dissonance I get after seeing those Take This Life and Bullet Ride live videos. Anders does sound beast, but agree those 2000 videos beat all...

The problem is In Flames keeps hitting all the old songs awesome live, then they put out this crap. They tease us like that.

Nice first post bro... contribute more often, we need some fresh blood around here :D

Whilst In Flames can still play the older songs well enough live, they are missing two key components to create new ones of the same quality: a young, relatively functional Jesper and Fredrik Nordstrom. Without these two I very much doubt we will ever hear another album of Come Clarity's quality, let alone the big four. That dream is most definitely dead.

What's frustrating to me is that they COULD produce another SOAPF. It's possible, Jesper and Nordstrom weren't involved. Drums would probably be shittier now than CJ is on the sticks, but still... all isn't completely lost for the band. Unfortunately instead of putting in some proper effort, they are churning out formulaic pop-metal shit with cliched lyrics and really questionable production. The potential of the band has never really been realised after Clayman, but when SOAPF hit the shelves I briefly saw a brighter future for In Flames, but those ashes have burned out (burn out!). What we're left with... well, the music speaks for itself.

Regarding Fredrik Nordström, if I remember correctly the bandmembers said he made them work really hard, and that they had some musical disagreements with him also. In Flames were already considering dropping the guitar harmonies while still with Nordstörm, and he reacted with "oh no, you have to keep the harmonies" or something like that.

According to Wikipedia the guys were more interested in drinking beer and playing Tekken 3 than recording Whoracle. so maybe a demanding producer was something they really needed at the time. :D

Agreed. After watching several of the recent interviews with Anders and Bjorn it really clicked. They admitted over and over that they are "lazy" and that they don't continually write. That's the problem. You can't just show up to the studio every 3 years and churn out an album with zero prep. MAYBE they could do it when they were young and full of new ideas and with Nordstrom. (Jesper was obviously a key element but he also was involved with the modern sound for almost 10 years so that alone is not the secret).

A week ago or so I also watched a Summer interview with Stanne discussing the album progress at that time for Atoma. The difference between the creative process in the two bands is like night and day. Stanne said that they had worked on material for a while and it was a struggle for him to decide if they were ready or not for the studio.

WTF. Why haven't I ever heard that from In Flames? Do they ever even ask themselves that question? Are we ready? No because that is now their modus operandi. Show up, rehash some old stuff, totally new producer and new sound every time, wah solos, done. Dark Tranquillity has been working to put out works of art. Not saying it works every time and to be quite frank sometimes I prefer IF's varied output to DT's consistency. But come on, try.

In Flames are still an awesome live band and obviously love to tour. They need help on the creative process. They need Nordstrom or someone to kick their ass and get solid songs forged. SOAPF was actually written beforehand (most of it) and it shows. Bjorn did it to prove to himself, the band, maybe even to Jesper that he could do it. He had a fire in him. At least they could go back to this level.

Where's the fire? They are freaking In Flames. Burn!

Last edited:
Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Agreed. After watching several of the recent interviews with Anders and Bjorn it really clicked. They admitted over and over that they are "lazy" and that they don't continually write. That's the problem. You can't just show up to the studio every 3 years and churn out an album with zero prep. MAYBE they could do it when they were young and full of new ideas and with Nordstrom. (Jesper was obviously a key element but he also was involved with the modern sound for almost 10 years so that alone is not the secret).

A week ago or so I also watched a Summer interview with Stanne discussing the album progress at that time for Atoma. The difference between the creative process in the two bands is like night and day. Stanne said that they had worked on material for a while and it was a struggle for him to decide if they were ready or not for the studio.

WTF. Why haven't I ever heard that from In Flames? Do they ever even ask themselves that question? Are we ready? No because that is now their modus operandi. Show up, rehash some old stuff, totally new producer and new sound every time, wah solos, done. Dark Tranquillity has been working to put out works of art. Not saying it works every time and to be quite frank sometimes I prefer IF's varied output to DT's consistency. But come on, try.

In Flames are still an awesome live band and obviously love to tour. They need help on the creative process. They need Nordstrom or someone to kick their ass and get solid songs forged. SOAPF was actually written beforehand (most of it) and it shows. Bjorn did it to prove to himself, the band, maybe even to Jesper that he could do it. He had a fire in him. At least they could go back to this level.

Where's the fire? They are freaking In Flames. Burn!

Agree - they got the potential, they are just lazy - I dont care if they want to do pop-american metalcore type music as long as they dont give us half finished songs and lazy guitar work.

I really don't like when people in the past are glorified, it's such an easy and weightless thing to do. I do not doubt Friedman is an A+ producer, but if you can't reach common grounds then the fault is in you too. If I was a musician, aka a creative entity, and I can't convince my very fucking own producer to let me try something new, because my head is just full of cool ideas, then hell yeah I would drop him, and everyone should in their right minds.

It is a low blow for blaming anyone for this. The band was shifting and Friedman did not or could not adapt.
Umm... apparently yes, you can. Many IF fans' favorite songs or records are from the post Clayman era. The biggest hindrance was probably Jester letting himself completely loose. The guys could get away with being lazy, because you had three somewhat talented musicians who worked together for a few weeks or months and produced something neat, albeit dividing. But then Jesper was more interested in pursuing his homeless dreams, which let Anders and Björn stood up, because they did not put the extra effort into ASOP. Now, after a dozen+ records Anders went to a vocal teacher... can't say just in time, but better late then never.

And yes, it worked the other way around too, because Jesper is just as fucking useless without those guys, so really, no one won with that. Let this be a reminder to get a hold on your crippling addiction and/or depression before it's too late.

Regarding Fredrik Nordström, if I remember correctly the bandmembers said he made them work really hard, and that they had some musical disagreements with him also. In Flames were already considering dropping the guitar harmonies while still with Nordstörm, and he reacted with "oh no, you have to keep the harmonies" or something like that.

According to Wikipedia the guys were more interested in drinking beer and playing Tekken 3 than recording Whoracle. so maybe a demanding producer was something they really needed at the time. :D

They need a demanding producer right now too :D I know Anders claimed he had to send his lyrics in beforehand to be vetted this time around - but it's clear that the standard was pretty fucking low. But yeah, we probably would have heard an album similar to STYE straight after Colony if Nordstrom hadn't been around. Most likely no Bullet Ride, no Pinball Map, no Swim, no Clayman (song) ... most likely a simpler version of OFTW with more synths and less guitars, and shitty production to boot.

Yeah, for sure. Atoma is a finely crafted album, very tight and exactly what you'd expect from DT. In Flames have always followed trends, trying to fit in. First melodic death metal, then american/nu-metal, then metalcore, then indie-rock-metal... I would say SOAPF and SC are probably the closest things to In Flames (in this instance, Anders & Bjorn's) "true" identity, but even on SOAPF you get the feeling they're mainly trying to emulate bands like Scorpions. I have no fucking idea what they were going for with Siren Charms. It sounds like nothing I've really heard before, just the most generic, boring, uninspired and lifeless collection of songs.

Reactions: galvanized

100% true.

DTs albums do sound like they worked on them for a long time. There is no really groundbreaking stuff there. IMO, with DT there never was. But they do have a solid musical output, better than most, and they are ready to perfect the songs until ready for recording.

On the other hand, IF newer albums sound like a bunch of guys who record first thing they came up while drinking beer and fucking around with guitars. And that is most obvious on simplified song structures, simple streamlined riffs and melodies, lazy solos, and riffing that is to be honest, terrible. Just things most other people forget when they finish jamming, tuning guitar or warming up.

Then, the rest of the band kicks in... and does nothing. Bass, drums, additional guitar, it just follows the layout set by a lazy guitar player and need for vocals and vocals melodies to be accommodated in the front.

Thing is, I can't really believe there is a group of seasoned musicians who doesn't, once in a while, have the urge to do something different. Tempo change, weird time signature, different scale, unorthodox song structure, long solo, two solos, three solos, some 2 minute section with melodies and riffs build up to something awesome. Nope. It's just same ol', same ol', same ol'.

And really, sometimes that is fine. I don't hear one song, if it is good, and notice all that. But when whole albums are filled with same type of material, it is tiring. It is boring. It is unexciting. And ultimately, it makes albums and songs lack replay value. A can't remember listening SC after the time it was released. I don't listen The End, The Truth, that other song, and Save me. And that stuff is barely few weeks old.

Doesn't matter what fanboys say now, there is no chance a significant number of people will listen to that stuff in 20 years, like it's the case with TJR or Colony. And in, not 20, but a few years, these new trendy albums, with "fresh" sound of today, will just sound out of place and bland, while classic is classic. In 1965, in 1995, in 2015, and in the future.

TIn Flames have always followed trends, trying to fit in. First melodic death metal, then american/nu-metal, then metalcore, then indie-rock-metal... .

This. If rap-metal was a thing now, we would no doubt hear geto Anders rapping 'bout his time in jail.

Last edited:
really don't like when people in the past are glorified, it's such an easy and weightless thing to do. I do not doubt Friedman is an A+ producer, but if you can't reach common grounds then the fault is in you too. If I was a musician, aka a creative entity, and I can't convince my very fucking own producer to let me try something new, because my head is just full of cool ideas, then hell yeah I would drop him, and everyone should in their right minds.

I agree with you. I recently read some interviews with Nordstrom and he comes across as a dominant fellow. He might be right a lot, but I would not want to work under someone like that while creating something new. As "kids" they probably accepted it, then later they wanted their independence. Unfortunately they did not have all the elements lined up to take flight on their own.

Clayman is great, but I've always felt it had a little less substance than the previous albums. The bands sound is majestic, but maybe overdone. The creative process was already starting to crack. And what could they do next?

So I agree, moving away from studio Friedman might have been right for them but damn it had been a tumultuous nearly 2 decades.

Thing is, I can't really believe there is a group of seasoned musicians who doesn't, once in a while, have the urge to do something different. Tempo change, weird time signature, different scale, unorthodox song structure, long solo, two solos, three solos, some 2 minute section with melodies and riffs build up to something awesome. Nope. It's just same ol', same ol', same ol'.

This ten times over. Whenever they branch out it's usually the "sound" or all the way in left field ("Metaphor" my favorite song on RtR, "TCP" meh).

But they don't need to be progressive or anything (actually please don't). More "Ropes", "Where the Dead Ships Dwell", "Fear is the Weakness", "New Dawn". Those are all solid songs, good melodic parts, cool solo parts. They were recently written, they could do more of that. Just write!

Reactions: only4theweak187