IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Battles has a better production, that's a fact, you must've misunderstood me. But to have the audacity to call any song from SC cheesy while you are trying to make a point for Battles.... :D :D Battles is a by the book American Metal record, but the problem is, bands who are doing this for years are obviously better than IF. Yes, 30 Seconds to Mars, Billy Talent and Skillet has not just one, but many better records in this genre than Battles.

Battles also have better vocals, won't even argue that, but SC moves on a much wider range. Battles' heaviest track is what, Through My Eyes? :D :D :D :D Give me a fucking break, half of SC is heavier than that, which says a lot, when SC was BY FAR the most light-hearted record from In Flames.

I'm not embarrassed to show SC around because it is a mild alt-rock record, nothing more. Wouldn't be my choice of record to try to convince people to like IF, but that's fine.

Battles is quite easy to not hate, actually, as it does nothing. While SC has a variety of songs, which are bound to be hit or miss, even if the band was in their heydays, Battles has The Truth + 11 variance of the same shit. The name of the game is vocal layers. Benson makes the vocal transition seem seamless, and by the third chorus, he throws in a bunch of additional vocal tracks to immerse your ears in it. And it works, no fucking question about it. So what?

Battles is hands down the most braindead music on my 200+ shuffle list, and that says something when it includes tracks which starts like this: "Ahhhh ahhhhh, Ge-ge-e jo jo uh lala hmm let's go, Geronimo".

There are some instrumental highlights, sure, I love the ending guitar at Drained, In My Room and The Truth have nice solos, Wallflower starts out promising, but these are nothing but fractions. The biggest luck this record has, that while ASOP and SC was plagued from the start for following such records as CC and SOAPF, Battles had the freedom to be born into an "I expect nothing" environment.

I dread everyone who thinks that Battles is musically more complex than Siren Charms.

Here's another call for In Flames to record their album with Nordstrom again in 2018. He would do it right. If he recorded Battles I bet this album would have been considered a return to form.
Apparently he produced this song this year:

Have to agree, if Battles was anything like that, I'd dig SC's grave myself. Sexy ass drums, guitars sounds like fucking metal finally, vocally playing it safe, being both heavy but still singable, some synth in the background, MORE DRUMS, 3rd chorus being epic without having 1 million vocal layers... mmm, throw in some Björn solo and it's all set.

But Battles is nothing like that, which, once again, says a lot, when even this kind of music is extremely popularized, you can barely do wrong with it.

Last edited:
Battles is hands down the most braindead music on my 200+ shuffle list, and that says something when it includes tracks which starts like this: "Ahhhh ahhhhh, Ge-ge-e jo jo uh lala hmm let's go, Geronimo".
Slave, you have indeed turned to the dark side. Welcome.

Eeeey, I just heard this song yesterday in a tv series and had to search it today! It's soothing.

And I might as well throw in a treat for people who dig American Metal 101:

Last edited:
Battles has a better production, that's all. It is as lazy as an effort as it was siren charms, but more mainstream. There is nothing memorable about this album, nothing to remember, not one single guitar riff or solo, with the exception of anders vocals, and we know that those are fake, so they don't count.

I don't know how familiar you are with djent genre Jester Slave but 2 or 3 years ago I used to be very much into it but at some point every goddamn mediocre metal or metalcore band started to use the low tuned sound and I got tired of it.

Listen to that chorus at 1:00. It sounds very similar to the Architects song you linked and I guarantee there's dozens if not hundreds of similar songs out because it is the current trend with young bands.

And talking about Papa Roach. Djent sound became so popular that even they decided to tip their toes in the water.

The style is so overused I wouldn't like djenty In Flames at all but now that I think of it Anders will probably do it on the next album.

Btw damn those Papa Roach guys look embarrassing in that picture. Tattoeed tears, really?

Last edited:
Never heard of it, but that Papa Roach song is not that far from their original style.

As for IF, if I have to choose between washed up mainstream and washed up mainstream, I'd still pick this style, as the instruments get way more room than in Battles. At least it SOUNDS heavy, even if it is factory work pop rock in disguise.

I totally get where you are coming from. I've just personally heard too much of it at this point.

And don't get me wrong there's a ton of djent bands that I think are still making great songs.

Periphery, one of the original influences to the whole genre, flirt with pop sound but are still groovy as fuck and the mixing is so good too.

New album by a band called Car Bomb must have the sexiest sound ever.

Then there's lots of atmospheric stuff like Uneven Structure and Tesseract. This song kind reminds me of Wallflower from Battles but done right

Sweet fucking Jesus, new Nine Inch Nails next Friday, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Also, never been heard songs from one of his previous record, which is like the equivalent of Clayman, R2R or CC for you/us in IF. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Can't wait to shit on Battles with new NIN tracks!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I totally get where you are coming from. I've just personally heard too much of it at this point.

And don't get me wrong there's a ton of djent bands that I think are still making great songs.

Periphery, one of the original influences to the whole genre, flirt with pop sound but are still groovy as fuck and the mixing is so good too.

New album by a band called Car Bomb must have the sexiest sound ever.

Then there's lots of atmospheric stuff like Uneven Structure and Tesseract. This song kind reminds me of Wallflower from Battles but done right

Periphery: I agree with the mixing, and understand they've done it first, but that Architect song or even the Papa Roach one is still closer to me. It's nothing interesting OR catchy for 3 minutes, even if it's nothing particularly bad either. The second half of the song is more like it, pretty good actually.

Car Bomb: Uhhh... yeah, no. I guess the way I don't understand what is exactly likeable in music like this is what some people would ask me if I told them I am in love with songs like this:

Uneven Structure: Depends on what we mean by done right. I don't dig this style, so I'd rather stuck with Wallflower on an uninhabited island, but yes, this a song you can praise yourself in interviews that you tried something new, big and epic. Wallflower is not new, not big, just long and certainly not epic. It starts out promising, then I WANNA BEEEEEEEE-- shut the fuck up.

I don't dig this style, so I'd rather stuck with Wallflower on an uninhabited island, but yes, this a song you can praise yourself in interviews that you tried something new, big and epic. Wallflower is not new, not big, just long and certainly not epic. It starts out promising, then I WANNA BEEEEEEEE-- shut the fuck up.
Any track from Insomnium's latest album shits, literally shits, all over Wallflower. I like where they were going but they are out of their league in this epic, post-metal area.

Regarding djent, I already thought they were taking some minor cues back in 2010 with SOAPF. They did nothing djenty but the chuggy guitar sound is certainly influenced by that thick, low sound. That's the "modern metal" aspect. Maybe they were influenced third hand (producer had heard certain records), but I think an aspect nonetheless.

If IF did djent at this point they would be so behind the curve. It would almost be like switching over to nu metal in 2002, 6 years after the genre blew up and already starting to die. Oh wait, they did that. So maybe it's possible.

Reactions: A88 and DE4life
I don't think it really changes anything. It's been the Anders & Bjorn show since Jesper left, and will continue to be so until one of them leaves.

I wonder what's gonna happen now that Peter is no longer with IF.
I'm waiting for this Jesper/Peter project to finally get announced. I wonder what the hold up is? I hope it's real and turns into something a lot better than The Resistance. Otherwise I will start to really worry about Jesper's condition. Dude hasn't been productive in years despite many promises, starts, and metal buddies all around.

Reactions: AtotheK
I'm waiting for this Jesper/Peter project to finally get announced. I wonder what the hold up is? I hope it's real and turns into something a lot better than The Resistance. Otherwise I will start to really worry about Jesper's condition. Dude hasn't been productive in years despite many promises, starts, and metal buddies all around.
Same here. And I really hope Daniel joins them as well.

I don't think it really changes anything. It's been the Anders & Bjorn show since Jesper left, and will continue to be so until one of them leaves.
You're right. But two members leaving in such a short period of time is not a good sign. I just don't want them to split up after releasing that pop record.

I do want them to split up after releasing that pop record. There's a very slim chance they'll make something actually good again.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure it's game over as far as In Flames are concerned. They had a good run which, for me, officially ended with SOAPF. Last two records have been well below standard and I'd like to pretend they were released by another band entirely.

Reactions: Jester313