IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Jake is much better than Anders :D jeez. His vocals are fine. I like that song a lot. Better than anything In Flames have put out in the last six years. If the album continues in that vein I'll be adding it to my collection.

Being a better singer has nothing to do with me liking his voice or his vocal style :p

I agree with the rest of your post. Just the guitar work is better than anything from sc or battles (suck it peter.... I mean... slave).

Karma actually reminds me a little of the stuff Echoes of Creation were putting out a few years back.

Clean vocals are somewhat similar, although Jake is better, and obviously no growls in Cyhra.

Being a better singer has nothing to do with me liking his voice or his vocal style :p

I agree with the rest of your post. Just the guitar work is better than anything from sc or battles (suck it peter.... I mean... slave).

Yeah fair enough, but Anders with cleans on this track, even pro tooled, would be a massive downgrade.

It's funny how in a lot of the past few albums people have tried to compare some of the guitar work to Colony or Clayman. Well, nope. Listen to Karma and tell me recent In Flames captures anything like that. It's not even close.

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah fair enough, but Anders with cleans on this track, even pro tooled, would be a massive downgrade.

It's funny how in a lot of the past few albums people have tried to compare some of the guitar work to Colony or Clayman. Well, nope. Listen to Karma and tell me recent In Flames captures anything like that. It's not even close.
In modern in flames the music is a mere background.

Karma is just a combination of some of my favourite styles. Modern power metal vocals and synths with old school melodic metal riffs. It's a great combo for me and if the whole album is like that it'll be up with my favourites straight away.

Reactions: eochaid
With four minutes lenght songs and the use of synths I doubt that's going to be one of my faces. But, as long as it is enjoyable I will be OK with it.

Karma is reminding me a bit of Firewind too.

No synths in Firewind, but awesome opening riff followed by slower verse and catchy chorus with clean singing is basically the same formula.

But, this song is far nearer to what I expected from modern in flames than the two previous non efforts.

But, this song is far nearer to what I expected from modern in flames than the two previous non efforts.

Karma doesn't really sound like anything In Flames have done since Clayman though. I mean, even if Anders was doing screams on that song (which imo would not improve it at all) I don't see which album it fits on post-Clayman.

Most noticeable to me is how on Karma the vocals and instruments flow seamlessly together. Whereas since Jesper left In Flames have really struggled to make the vocals and instruments compliment each other. Best effort was SOAPF, but SC and Battles didn't do well in this department at all.

I'm not saying that it fits into any album.in particular. But, if you mix the guitar work with clean vocals, there you have something very similar to what in flames would (probably) sound if jesper was still in the band.

I dunno, Jesper was in the band for ASOP too. I think the creative differences between him and Anders would never have allowed an album with songs like Karma across the board. At best we'd get some weird mix of Resistance, Cyhra and SC/Battles era in flames, which wouldn't be so great.

Karma doesn't really sound like anything In Flames have done since Clayman though. I mean, even if Anders was doing screams on that song (which imo would not improve it at all) I don't see which album it fits on post-Clayman.

Amazing dude, you just bring your hatred of Anders to another level. Bravo indeed. If Karma had Anders's screams (not cleans only scream) that would improve the song A LOT, actually that would make it a song from Clayman's itself. Music wise song has a lot of similaritys to Clayman/Colony, intro sounds like Swim, verses sounds like Embody the invisible. Actually verses not sounds like Embody, its the same verses. Add Through My Eyes verse screams to that song and boom you got a Clayman/Colony song. And that wouldnt improve the song? Are you going to start hating Clayman too just because you dont like Anders?

I get if you dont like Anders for driving IF sound to more modern way (or popish way as you say it) but saying that it wouldnt improve at all its just ridiculous.

Well, 20+ spins later, I must say I'm OK with songs like Karma. This is what IF should sound like today (if they wanted to "evolve" and leave all death metal behind). But no, we've got Save Me instead.

Vocals are a bit loud compared to background riffs, and electronics don't really add anything, but the song is well done, vocalist is good at what he does and that guitar lead... Now, that I hate. Jesper seems able to write that stuff whenever he likes (moments in Resistance, guest stuff for other bands, Karma...), and he really has unique style nobody knows how to copy no matter how melodic or harmonic other band are, but he chooses not to for decade and half. It's like Maiden saying: "Fuck it, we're done with leads and solos" or Dream Theater ditching long progy songs from their repertoire.

This is what IF should sound like today (if they wanted to "evolve" and leave all death metal behind). But no, we've got Save Me instead.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that there's a song called "here to save you"?

Amazing dude, you just bring your hatred of Anders to another level. Bravo indeed. If Karma had Anders's screams (not cleans only scream) that would improve the song A LOT, actually that would make it a song from Clayman's itself. Music wise song has a lot of similaritys to Clayman/Colony, intro sounds like Swim, verses sounds like Embody the invisible. Actually verses not sounds like Embody, its the same verses. Add Through My Eyes verse screams to that song and boom you got a Clayman/Colony song. And that wouldnt improve the song? Are you going to start hating Clayman too just because you dont like Anders?

I get if you dont like Anders for driving IF sound to more modern way (or popish way as you say it) but saying that it wouldnt improve at all its just ridiculous.

What if I actually think good singing sounds better than screaming? I appreciate that might be difficult to get your head around, but there are some people with that opinion.

Well, 20+ spins later, I must say I'm OK with songs like Karma. This is what IF should sound like today (if they wanted to "evolve" and leave all death metal behind). But no, we've got Save Me instead.

Vocals are a bit loud compared to background riffs, and electronics don't really add anything, but the song is well done, vocalist is good at what he does and that guitar lead... Now, that I hate. Jesper seems able to write that stuff whenever he likes (moments in Resistance, guest stuff for other bands, Karma...), and he really has unique style nobody knows how to copy no matter how melodic or harmonic other band are, but he chooses not to for decade and half. It's like Maiden saying: "Fuck it, we're done with leads and solos" or Dream Theater ditching long progy songs from their repertoire.

Hopefully the mixing will sound a little better on the album. Agreed on the electronics, I guess they're fine but the song could easily just start with that awesome riff.

It makes me sad that we've had to wait this long for Jesper to create good new music. At least we're getting a full album, if it's similar to Karma across the album I can't wait. Song titles are a bit Anders but as long as the music is good I don't care.