IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Yep, maiden heavily influenced many pm bands, but they're still heavy metal. In fact, I was never happy with the term pm since, to me, they're all hm bands with some common characteristics. But I don't see the power anywhere.

Yep, maiden heavily influenced many pm bands, but they're still heavy metal. In fact, I was never happy with the term pm since, to me, they're all hm bands with some common characteristics. But I don't see the power anywhere.

Well, I agree, but then you could arguably extend that to melodeath too. Are Colony or Clayman MDM albums, or just heavy metal albums with screaming vocals? I'd say the latter. TJR/Whoracle is a different debate, but for a lot of people "melodeath" just means heavy metal w/screams & growls.

Well, I agree, but then you could arguably extend that to melodeath too. Are Colony or Clayman MDM albums, or just heavy metal albums with screaming vocals? I'd say the latter. TJR/Whoracle is a different debate, but for a lot of people "melodeath" just means heavy metal w/screams & growls.
Melodeath is heavily influenced by iron maiden, but also by trash and death metal bands. If it was just heavy metal with growls then I would call it heavy metal with growls

Melodeath is heavily influenced by iron maiden, but also by trash and death metal bands. If it was just heavy metal with growls then I would call it heavy metal with growls

Power metal is often influenced by Folk, Progressive and Speed metal though, so you can argue there's other influences beyond Traditional/Heavy Metal there too.

Some bands they are. Others not.

When I first heard Halloween, I think it was around the time the first keeper was released, everyone, at least around me, was calling it heavy metal while their previous efforts were called speed metal or trash metal.

Then came a lot of German and Norse bands doing what helloween was doing and the term power metal was born.

I just see different ways of interpreting heavy metal. Being the maim difference that they are obsessed with killing dragons and being warriors :p.

Old school PM bands, sure. Modern bands are more about futuristic dystopias, eg. Iron Saviour's Rise of the Hero and Titancraft. I don't think many modern PM bands are doing the whole D&D thing that was popular for those types of bands in the 90s & early 00s.

So there are no cyborg dragons? :D

By the way, I don't care that much about the content of the lyrics as long as the music is good. I mean, my favourite writer is Tolkien, so I won't complain about people writing in music what I find OK in literature.

I never listened to Unisonic, I'll have to check them out. For a while Kiske didn't want to be linked to metal at all. When the first Avantasia album came out in 2001 he refused to have his name on the credits, instead it just says "Ernie"! He's joining back up with Helloween now for a tour so I guess he's over that phase.

I agree that lyrics aren't such a big deal, although I prefer the cyberpunk/dystopian themed albums to the fantasy dragon stuff. Do you like Blind Guardian? A lot of their earlier albums are based on LOTR, so a shame if not :p

I never listened to Unisonic, I'll have to check them out. For a while Kiske didn't want to be linked to metal at all. When the first Avantasia album came out in 2001 he refused to have his name on the credits, instead it just says "Ernie"! He's joining back up with Helloween now for a tour so I guess he's over that phase.

I agree that lyrics aren't such a big deal, although I prefer the cyberpunk/dystopian themed albums to the fantasy dragon stuff. Do you like Blind Guardian? A lot of their earlier albums are based on LOTR, so a shame if not :p
I don't like songs based on Tolkien lore, though I don't know why. At least I don't hate them as I hate the stupid hobbit movies.

About Michael Kiske it was a good summarize in Bruce Dickinson's fanpage.

Unisonic first album is.more hard rock, the second is totally helloween, kiske and Hansen at their best. Amazing album.

I really like Unisonic. When "Exceptional" was out, I was listening that shit all day long. Nice bass line, great leads by Kai, and Kiske doin' his stuff.

Blind Guardian. Another cool band, with great guitarwork and powerful vocals. Although they lost their way a bit on last albums.

Reactions: eochaid
I don't think I've listened to a Blind Guardian album since Nightfall in Middle-Earth. I really liked that one, and Imaginations from the Other Side. Their live performances are incredible too, absolutely spot on. Hansi doesn't need any studio magic to sound great, and it's awesome that he, Andre and Marcus have basically been in the band since day one.

That unisonic clip linked is exactly the type of sound I was talking about kinda. Don't really see similarities in PM and Melodeath btw, the general style of riffing is not similar at all.

Somewhere far beyond (what a generic name), Imaginations and Nightfall are my BG favorites.

Hansi is a great singer (it doesn't get much better than that epic vocal harmonies in Noldor) and a nice guy too. Andre and Marcus have really aggressive, almost thrash-y, but at the same time, very distinctive melodic playing style that I really like. Their drummers are also quite good and hard-hitting.

That unisonic clip linked is exactly the type of sound I was talking about kinda. Don't really see similarities in PM and Melodeath btw, the general style of riffing is not similar at all.

I think main similarity between MD and PM is in melodic lead work, not riffing. However, PM tends to do happy and positive melodies, while MD does the same thing but with a melancholic twist. I guess Colony-Clayman leads are the best example.

Last edited:
What band is this? Anders, Bjorn, Niklas and a few random dudes.

Anders takes shit vocal performances to a whole new level!

What band is this? Anders, Bjorn, Niklas and a few random dudes.

Anders takes shit vocal performances to a whole new level!

Lets just say that he cannot scream anymore and he was never able to sing.

And Ciko thinks Anders screaming in Karma would make it better :D no. Maybe if Jesper could time travel back to 1999 and get Colony Anders to do vocals, otherwise forget it.

And Ciko thinks Anders screaming in Karma would make it better :D no. Maybe if Jesper could time travel back to 1999 and get Colony Anders to do vocals, otherwise forget it.

Well I watched that concert and I agree he was bad. But he said at that concert that he lost his close friend so that might be a reason as well. I still think he would do that song better.

Nah, his screams often sound pretty shit live. They don't even sound that good in the studio any more - not compared to the 1999 - 2006 period, anyway.