IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Nah, his screams often sound pretty shit live. They don't even sound that good in the studio any more - not compared to the 1999 - 2006 period, anyway.

His screams were pretty good until 2010. 2004-2008 was the best era for his vocals. But you cant expect him to be that good after heavy touring for years.

He sounded okay on STYE and CC, but his peak imo was Colony. He sounded amazing on that album.

He was fucking awful on ASOP, so I hope you aren't including that in 2004-2008 :D

He sounded okay on STYE and CC, but his peak imo was Colony. He sounded amazing on that album.

He was fucking awful on ASOP, so I hope you aren't including that in 2004-2008 :D

Yeah the vocals were bad on ASOP but I was talking about live performances. Just look at this video it was around ASOP era:

The scream at 3:10 was fucking awesome. Yeah I know quality is bad but you can hear what I'm talking about :D

The WFF clip has a more muddier and unclear sound than R2R, in multiplied numbers. Absolute shit sound. I don't know when you guys last saw IF live, but my last IF show was less than 2 years ago and it's the best one of the 7 ones I've been to. Partly because of setlist as well but also performance. I can definitely see the argument for shitty clean vocal performances live, but in general his live screaming and growling has never been shit. Not on most of the live videos I've seen and all the gigs I've seen them at. I think it has more to do with vocal approach than impaired screams. They always do Take This Life as last song and it always sounds great. His growls has always been sick imo, haven't really heard them change at all the last like 10-15 years. If anything they're better. To compare the growls in F(r)iend from Used and Abused has nothing at all compared to the last gig I saw when he only growled during the entire Food For the Gods song. My favorite live memory by far, sickest shit I've heard from him.

It was pretty much like this but a bit better and exclusively growls and obviously better sounding live than from a mobile recording. Comparing it to all the available old live performances from 15-20years ago it's MILES better. Same with Moonshield they've been doing the recent shows, sounds a lot better than it did during the old days live. Plus they added that guitar melody as intro instead of jumping right into the part after the acoustic guitars which makes it sound much cooler as a whole.

I mean compare Used and Abused's Moonshield to this recent live performance...To me it's not even close, recent one sounds so much better.

Seeing them again in November in a large stadium 10k+ people show, hopefully it's gonna be as good as before. I've seen much better setlists than the recent ones but as long as they keep Moonshield for the upcoming leg of the tour I'm good.

Last edited:
Anders sounds his absolute best on Gothenburg 99 bootleg. He's pretty good in Club Citta 98 too. He sounds shit on every recorded I've heard before 1998, he sucks for most of 2001-2003, marginal improvement for 2004-2008 period, then mostly downhill since then. Not sure how anybody can listen to Anders live in the past few years and think he sounds healthy tbh. More of a hear what you want to hear thing going on.

I don't get how you think that his screams are sounding better. He just cannot properly scream, his voice is a mess and he is clearly suffering.

I'll take the death growling style in the Moonshield and Food For the Gods clips I posted over STYE screams any day. That said, that one is also very good.

The problem with Anders' modern "death growls" is that they have no power. You hear it a lot with that type of growl, and it sucks. It's boring as fuck. Zero personality, zero emotion (which apparently Anders is big on), voice just sounds like a toilet flushing. Anders sounded much, much better when his voice was at a higher growl/scream register back in the late 90s, but obviously he fucked up his voice too bad to do that live any more.

I understand people liking his death growl the few times that he is able to do it but it does not fit the music, and he cannot scream anymore. His screams were pretty good in the past, but the lack of technique destroyed his voice, and he lacks the ability to be a live singer.

I understand people liking his death growl the few times that he is able to do it but it does not fit the music, and he cannot scream anymore. His screams were pretty good in the past, but the lack of technique destroyed his voice, and he lacks the ability to be a live singer.

When he busts out the death growl for a line or two, it's fine, it sounds good. When he's doing it the whole song, as you say, it doesn't fit. I mean, arguably it sounds closer to the album version of Moonshield with the death growl, but Moonshield live definitely sounds better with a higher register growl/scream. He just can't do that like he used to.

Reactions: eochaid
FYI This is the best performance of Moonshield, ever.

Better than Koln, better than Goteborg 99, better than Sticky Fingers.

Guitars are tight, they play the intro (they never do this) and Anders is growling throughout the whole song.

Here's another, semi-new performance that I think is one of the best they've done of the song.

It just sounds tighter and fuller.

Reactions: Jester313
They sound fine, but Embody's vocals have no power in the screams and deep growls don't suit the song.

Sounds fine to me. Not the most powerful, but he's 40 give him a break.
The whole group dynamic sounds massive though.

He's 40 like Stanne, Strid and many other singers.
Yeah and that's old. If you pay attention to Stanne and Strid they aren't as saturated sounding as their albums either. They balance their performance out for longevity.

If you look at many other screamers out there, they've blown their voices out for pushing too hard.

Last edited:
Never heard DT live or Soilwork, but I've seen a lot of Soilwork videos and Strid sounds fucking sick live. I've always thought Stanne has been a bit monotone sounding. Like an upgraded Marco Aro (The Haunted). That said what I've heard Stanne sounds fine live.

That Moonshield performance on Hellfest is one of the best one's I've heard as well Clayman. Embody clip also really good. Deep growls not ''fitting'' lol. You can't change up small parts when performing songs live or what? It all has to sound like the studio version? Same pitch, same pronunciation and length of words? Each to his own I guess. Personally, the outro scream he does at 3:25 completely shits over the studio version outro scream. Those type of small changes just add to the shows for me.

No, Krofius, it just means I don't think deep growls work in a song like ETD. Sounds much better with vocals in a higher register. I understand why Anders can't do that nowadays though.