IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Agree, Colony was peak after building since TJR. Clayman was a plateau album. It was not better than Colony but not that much worse either. A bit over produced but still had some cool songs.

I'd tie Colony and Clayman as I think they both are brimming with incredible energy, talent and melody. In terms of albums I listen to, nothing comes close to either of them (except Brokencyde's debut obvs).

It's also part of the reason the band got so much negative press, though. They produced two albums that were as close to metal perfection as you're ever going to find. Then they went in a totally different direction and by the time STYE came around it might as well have been a completely different band. The music was still listenable but nowhere near where they had been, and it wasn't that they were struggling for inspiration, they changed direction on purpose.

Nowadays it's silly for anybody to expect another Colony or Clayman, but back then it hurt to see the band devolve so aggressively.

I've had a real resurgence with OFTW, haven't really listened to it that much last couple years but then last couple weeks I've been absolutely loving it again, mostly due to the solo. In my opinion one of the best just simple melodic solo's that I know of. Perfect example of a slow solo compared to the more faster shreddier ones (that I love too).

I'd tie Colony and Clayman as I think they both are brimming with incredible energy, talent and melody. In terms of albums I listen to, nothing comes close to either of them (except Brokencyde's debut obvs).

It's also part of the reason the band got so much negative press, though. They produced two albums that were as close to metal perfection as you're ever going to find. Then they went in a totally different direction and by the time STYE came around it might as well have been a completely different band. The music was still listenable but nowhere near where they had been, and it wasn't that they were struggling for inspiration, they changed direction on purpose.

Nowadays it's silly for anybody to expect another Colony or Clayman, but back then it hurt to see the band devolve so aggressively.
Agreeing with you, I think that the next albums are more solid in terms of inner coherence.

I've had a real resurgence with OFTW, haven't really listened to it that much last couple years but then last couple weeks I've been absolutely loving it again, mostly due to the solo. In my opinion one of the best just simple melodic solo's that I know of. Perfect example of a slow solo compared to the more faster shreddier ones (that I love too).
One of my three if favourite solos, one of my top five ever.

Colony has only one flaw. Drum sound could be better. Everything else is at perfect spot between melodic and aggressive.

I kind of like how not overproduced the drums sound.
Colony has this strange edge-of-the-knife high production without even coming close to sounding over produced. It's perfect.
It sounds incredibly warm but very modern, like a stepping stone for modern metal sound before Clayman was the wanted tone.

The combination between the insane production with the massive sound and tonal perfection, and the relentlessly epic and focused songwriting make the whole album have this ethereal sound to it that I can't get out of any other metal album, even if the others sound "kinda close". There's something real about Colony that has made it one of my favorite albums ever.

Shit can really get you an auditory high. Don't think there's an album like this. Maybe similar in arbitrary face value, but not as defined and precise as Colony.

I hope you're kidding with the Brokencyde stuff lol, has to be the worst group I've heard in years. Remember hearing their song Freaxxx many years ago and laughed my ass off.

I hope you're kidding with the Brokencyde stuff lol, has to be the worst group I've heard in years. Remember hearing their song Freaxxx many years ago and laughed my ass off.

What's not to love about lyrics like "let's get freaky now, let's get fucking freaky now (NOWWWW)" ?

GOAT.

I said it at the other topic but will say it anyway, new album of The Bloody Beetroots features Anders on it. Song called Irreversible, you can find it on Spotify. And surprisingly its not metal, its EDM. Pretty good song, you guys should check it out.

I said it at the other topic but will say it anyway, new album of The Bloody Beetroots features Anders on it. Song called Irreversible, you can find it on Spotify. And surprisingly its not metal, its EDM. Pretty good song, you guys should check it out.
Fanboy.

"I can't wait to hear your voice again.
I am far from lonely,
But without you I'm a mess.
I close my eyes and drift away,
I'm wondering what you're doing now...

[Chorus:]
When I look at you
I see me.
We will always be part of history.

When I look at you
I see me!