IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Also pretty cool with The End, after the first chorus at 1:10, the electronics reminded me of something from STYE a lot and then I remembered, it sounds very similar to the outro of Dead Alone.

Reactions: Riamu
After 10 listenings I'm starting to get bored of The End. It's good but has nothing that catches my attention.

The Truth I still see as radio garbage. I can't stand that song. Worst than anything from SC (never thought that I would say something like this). It's kinda embarrasing for grown men to write a song like that.

There are many riffs from both songs sounding like previous in flames songs that I'm starting to think that this is going to be another uninteresting and effortlest work. Unless the rest of the songs bring something new I think that Bjorn's well of inspiration is empty.

Last edited:
You know what boggles my mind?

You're the main driving forces in a band (Anders and Björn) -- you've nurtured this thing you have for 25+ years at this point. Blood, sweat and tears to get to where you are now, on the backs of amazing albums and amazing songs.

And then comes the time for your next effort, soon to be released to millions of fans, and you make the concious decision to use programmed fucking drums.

It boggles my mind. How can you be so nonchalant towards your own work, where you should strive for every song to be a masterpiece?

Why not give Dirk Verbeuren a call to do some session work? There's an alternate universe somewhere out there where In Flames is working with people like Dirk and being produced by Townsend. It's a universe, where at least Bjorns honestly now boring songwriting is at least covered up by the skill of supporting personnel.

Disappointing.

Reactions: AtotheK
You know what boggles my mind?

You're the main driving forces in a band (Anders and Björn) -- you've nurtured this thing you have for 25+ years at this point. Blood, sweat and tears to get to where you are now, on the backs of amazing albums and amazing songs.

And then comes the time for your next effort, soon to be released to millions of fans, and you make the concious decision to use programmed fucking drums.

It boggles my mind. How can you be so nonchalant towards your own work, where you should strive for every song to be a masterpiece?

Why not give Dirk Verbeuren a call to do some session work? There's an alternate universe somewhere out there where In Flames is working with people like Dirk and being produced by Townsend. It's a universe, where at least Bjorns honestly now boring songwriting is at least covered up by the skill of supporting personnel.

Disappointing.
Agreed. But it's good because that also shows how fake music is these days. Now they don't need a live drummer anymore.

It is possible they had a deadline for the album to be finished and really wanted to take the time to find the right guy to be their new drummer and just could not find the right fit. ?? But yeah, programmed drums are disappointing.

^
What if these 2 songs are the only ones with programmed drums? And like you said, due to this deadline, they had to complete 2 songs as fast as they could....

How can you tell programmed drums from real ones? Are we sure that they used programmed drums? And what about the photo with a drummer that Niclas uploaded?

It has been two days or so...

I stopped listening The End. OK song, but very short-lasting.

The Truth would work better without metal-rock elements, maybe leave rhythm guitar muffled and processed in the background. As it is, dominant pop elements ruin it as (some kind of) metal song, and metal element sound forced and out of place in the electro-pop surroundings.

^
What if these 2 songs are the only ones with programmed drums? And like you said, due to this deadline, they had to complete 2 songs as fast as they could....
The album was finished like 4 months ago. So no.

Celldweller is great!

We can't be sure if all the songs have programmed drums, but frankly, they do not sound out of place for me. So, it's like complaining for the sake of complaining. IF drummings were rarely anything to talk home to, it's always been about those guitars, and then later, about those vocals too. I can't imagine any youngster deciding to become a drummer after listening to In Flames, hahaha. They did not even have a dedicated drummer until Colony to begin with.

That being said it would be/would've been cool if they used an actual session drummer or drummers for some songs, like NIN had Dave Grohl on With Teeth, but honestly, who cares. I can assure you that NO ONE is going to say "I love/hate the new IF record because of the drums." All eyes are on Anders, Björn and the solos, and for them to make something new and interesting. If they fail, no drummer on the world could save them.

I always respect Sweden for their music . All amazing bands are swedish. When in flames create something it is always good , all albums are diffrent but in The same amazing style. Swedish people have good taste of music... In Poland everybody listen crap and we have only two good bands Behemoth and Vader

Reactions: Seppo91
Haha, well, Eastern-Europe sucks to begin with. I think Finland is the same when it comes to quality music. Whether it's Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, or the probably not too well known Turmion Katilot.

Btw I'm from Hungary, so if you ever want to hook up, PM me, I'm good looking and a fan of In Flames. My musical taste is exceptional, just ask eochaid, he can attest to that!

I always respect Sweden for their music . All amazing bands are swedish. When in flames create something it is always good , all albums are diffrent but in The same amazing style. Swedish people have good taste of music... In Poland everybody listen crap and we have only two good bands Behemoth and Vader

Thank you!

Haha, well, Eastern-Europe sucks to begin with. I think Finland is the same when it comes to quality music. Whether it's Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, or the probably not too well known Turmion Katilot.

You're right, never heard about them, are they on Spotify? Will have a listen'.

EDIT: Just gone through their top 5 on Spotify, pretty good stuff. Like that they actually sing in finish. Might not understand much of it (I'm 50/50 Swedish and Finnish), but I always like it when bands sing in their native tongue.

Last edited:
Thank you!

You're right, never heard about them, are they on Spotify? Will have a listen'.

EDIT: Just gone through their top 5 on Spotify, pretty good stuff. Like that they actually sing in finish. Might not understand much of it (I'm 50/50 Swedish and Finnish), but I always like it when bands sing in their native tongue.
Checked what's their top 5 spotify and do not agree with it at all (well, actually, I might've fucked up, because I could not put them in order of popularity)!! Here are some of my favorites:

I'm lazy to provide links, but at this day and age it should not take you much effort to find them: Verta Ja Lihaa, Pyrun Nyrkki, Liitto, Lepositeet, Paha Ihminen, Mina Maaraan, Pyha Maa

If you can stand mutilation (dude hooks himself on the back and flies around, he's bleeding too, skip to around 3:50 if you want to avoid that) you should check the live version of Teurastatja, it has more kick with real instruments:

Also, while technically it's not Turmion Katilot, it's basically the same, just with additional female vox (edit: not even sure if she sings, actually, sometimes they [girls] can sound like guys too when growling):

What can I say, I love everything that's industrial!

Celldweller is great!

We can't be sure if all the songs have programmed drums, but frankly, they do not sound out of place for me. So, it's like complaining for the sake of complaining. IF drummings were rarely anything to talk home to, it's always been about those guitars, and then later, about those vocals too. I can't imagine any youngster deciding to become a drummer after listening to In Flames, hahaha. They did not even have a dedicated drummer until Colony to begin with.

That being said it would be/would've been cool if they used an actual session drummer or drummers for some songs, like NIN had Dave Grohl on With Teeth, but honestly, who cares. I can assure you that NO ONE is going to say "I love/hate the new IF record because of the drums." All eyes are on Anders, Björn and the solos, and for them to make something new and interesting. If they fail, no drummer on the world could save them.

No, it's complaining because usually bands record their albums with real musicians playing real instruments. If the drums have been programmed then that's not "real". Can't you see the difference?

Btw I'm from Hungary, so if you ever want to hook up, PM me, I'm good looking and a fan of In Flames. My musical taste is exceptional, just ask eochaid, he can attest to that!

Yep, he's the guy.

Reactions: Jester Slave