IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Siren Charms, although the details were different, each song felt the same. I'm not even sure why I hear them this way.

The reason they sound this way is because structurally the songs are almost identical from beginning to end. If you actually analyse how each song is put together, it soon becomes painfully clear that practically every song on the album follows the same basic template. It's an unforgivable lack of effort from a band that is capable of so much more. Some of the songs aren't that bad, but listening to the album as a whole is tedious as the identical structures of each song become more obvious with each passing track and make the album incredibly boring after only four or five songs. The details aren't different enough to make many of the songs memorable, and their template creation makes the album as a whole almost worthless.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Absolutely.

I think it's what they were going for. Just a simplistic relaxed go at an album. They've been doing it a long time but it just didn't reasonate well with the fans.

People who had problems with Siren Charms mostly aren't the idiotic haters who've been going hard at them online since like A Sense of Purpose... Most comments I remember seeing were "I like a lot of your stuff guys just can't get into this one" on Facebook at least.

Just didn't work out for the band that time.

What I hear on The End is the BARE necessities that make a good new In Flames song. Decent guitar melodies/riffing, some good screams and all the other ingredients we hear that SC songs didn't provide.

Then we heard The Truth shortly after and that was a real "ehhh."

But there's still some hope for something different this time around from the first single released alone

Was listening The End today and noticed a scream on background. There's a pre-chorus after the shitty solo, after the "we'll be outlaws on the run" section, scream continues on the background. Its just awesome and pretty long. Love it.

LS may be behind SC when it comes to production - but it's miles ahead as far as passion, originality and artistic merit is concerned.

Behind Space, In Flames, Upon an Oaken Throne, Starforsaken (dat intro), Everlost Part II, Clad in Shadows, all good songs. The album has some clunkers too - Everlost Part I, Dreamscape, Lunar Strain... but LS had more identity than SC ever has or ever will.

If I had to choose between listening to LS or SC, it would be LS all day long. Not even a contest.

Yes, at least Lunar Strain doesn't sound like outdated late '90's-early to mid 00's nu-metal.

SC is more like a blend of alt-rock and alt-metal imo, and it works about as well as blending shit and vomit. Bad times.

The closest they got to nu metal was STYE, but even then it was more like straight melodic/heavy metal. The most nu metal thing about In Flames during that period was Anders' dreads and stupid dress sense.

Reactions: eochaid
You can't compare Lunar strain and Siren charms.

LS - kids doing demo, songs and sound all over the place, sometimes turns out fine, sometimes not
SC - dudes in middle age crisis doing shitty pop metal rehashing song structures and old riffs over and over and over and over again

And while I don't really like those two albums, LS at least have some songs worth listening years later (plus some good ol' oldschool feeling that makes obscure early '90 stuff enjoyable for some reason). SC does not. SC has like 30 seconds combined of half-decent riffs and melodies and a few catchy choruses, all packed in clean and sterile modern production. That's it.

In reality, In Flames has 4 significant albums (TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman), and a few commercial, solid, decent, but otherwise uninfluential and unremarkable efforts. More or less good, depends on personal taste (example - I like SOAPF, but I really dislike STYE; also I think ASOP is not really worse in songwriting and music department compared to let's say CC, but I strongly dislike production and vocal+lyrics whiny emo shit)

I'd say the only nu-metal song they've done in the last few albums is Everything's Gone.

The way the verses are sung is that weird dreary style of talking the lyrics and simple guitar riffing. Reminds me of the atmosphere of a lot of those songs back then

Reactions: eochaid
My top 5 IF albums
• Lunar Strain ☆☆☆☆☆
• The Jester Race ☆☆☆☆☆
• Colony ☆☆☆☆☆
• Clayman ☆☆☆☆
• Whoracle ☆☆☆☆

Many years ago, I really liked the band when they were making albums like TJR/Colony/Whoracle but I ended up gravitating a bit more towards Dark Tranquillity. Probably because they actually found new ways to approach melodic death metal rather than changing genres entirely with generally middling to poor results.

Man.. i want the pre-orders to come, and the tracklist.
And im always excited for the 30 sec samples that gives us a little glimpse how the album will sound like as a whole.

Yeah ´the samples will probably take some more time, but a tracklist cant be far away.

Hopefully another song before the end of this month. Seems like they haven't filmed a music video yet though, so maybe it'll come a music video single in October instead. 30second samples doesn't usually come more than a week or two before-hand, sadly.

Reactions: Seppo91
I hope as Krofius said recently that The Truth is the second "half" of a two-part single.

Hopefully a music vid will be for a better song. Don't think they'd make one for The End since its had a lyric vid done but who knows

Yesterday I listened to the end like 10 times and it's a listenable and enjoyable song. I can appreciate it better when I forget about the truth. It makes hope that the album has more highs than lows.

Yesterday I listened to the end like 10 times and it's a listenable and enjoyable song. I can appreciate it better when I forget about the truth. It makes hope that the album has more highs than lows.

If the album overall quality is similar to The End then it'll be OK. Kind of like a SOAPF b-sides collection, which would still shit all over SC.

I remember in one of the Battles preview videos on nuclear blast's youtube channel on of the band members (I think it was Niclas) said something along the lines of how the end and the truth being released at the same time allowed them to give a spectrum of sort, and show tje duffrrnt sort of stuff to be on the album, so I guess what we can take from that is that therr may be a lot of song to song variety (not necessarily in structure I would guess, but in style)

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
You can't compare Lunar strain and Siren charms.

LS - kids doing demo, songs and sound all over the place, sometimes turns out fine, sometimes not
SC - dudes in middle age crisis doing shitty pop metal rehashing song structures and old riffs over and over and over and over again

And while I don't really like those two albums, LS at least have some songs worth listening years later (plus some good ol' oldschool feeling that makes obscure early '90 stuff enjoyable for some reason). SC does not. SC has like 30 seconds combined of half-decent riffs and melodies and a few catchy choruses, all packed in clean and sterile modern production. That's it.

In reality, In Flames has 4 significant albums (TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman), and a few commercial, solid, decent, but otherwise uninfluential and unremarkable efforts. More or less good, depends on personal taste (example - I like SOAPF, but I really dislike STYE; also I think ASOP is not really worse in songwriting and music department compared to let's say CC, but I strongly dislike production and vocal+lyrics whiny emo shit)
Are you for real? R2R and CC are not significant? See, this, THIS is what I will never understand. We all won't see eye to eye about specifics, and that's fine, but how, how, how, HOW can you ignore those two records? Whatever you think about the new In Flames, it is objectively impossible to deny the success and significance of those records.

Tell me what makes Whoracle or Clayman significant, what R2R and CC lack? I would say the most significant records were:
- The Jester Race, because it defined what In Flames was. LS and Subt. was fooling around, but TJR just hit it right in the fucking middle. Whoracle was "just" an upgrade on it, but TJR paved the way.
- Reroute To Remain, because as its name suggests, this is the record they rerouted themselves once and for all. Call this record shit, call it awesome, doesn't even matter, because it was the beginning of a new chapter. If this record is not significant, then surviving an otherwise fatal car crash is not a significant part of someone's life. I rest my case!
- Sounds Of A Playground Fading, because it's the beginning of the Jesperless era. No more gut-wrenching screams, no more crazy pacing, it sounds all "grown up", which I don't dig, but undeniable that it marks the beginning of a new era.

Special shoutouts to Colony and Come Clarity, if we want to make the group bigger, they are definitely the next candidates, but at that point the line of what matters significant and what not would blur.

But be my guest if you want to believe that the reason IF is still afloat to this day is because their most significant records are TJR-Whoracle-Colony-Clayman. Those records must really be the most significant in the band's history if people are willing to PAY to listen to an average of 2 songs from them combined on their live shows, one of which is almost always OFTW. The band's most played song is from R2R. Which is also they highest selling record abroad with like 60k. I'm sure people in the US bought TJR and Whoracle because in the 90s IF were huge in the USA, not because a certain record (cough R2R, cough) blasted them into absolute mainstream status. Geez, how many cocks R2R would have to suck to be at least included on a list of significant IF records? I can just imagine R2R having double its sae numbers, winnng 6 Grammys, and you would still go "well yeah, it was an okay album, but I mean, did you hear Whoracle? that record basically made IF! I mean, for Colony they had the money to pay for a real drummer too! Forget the US tours, and the sales, and the recognition.. A D-R-U-M-M-E-R. 10/10, I give R2R a 3/10 though, good effort."

And yes, I dare anyone to tell me that I am being irrational. You folks had an easy time with dissecting SC, but I dare you to go up against R2R and enlighten me how it was not a significant record - and yes, I know that so far only one guy voiced this opinion.

I would agree that R2R is a somewhat significant record, as it set the tone for vocals in the foreground and instruments in the background. For better or worse, that's basically how the band have operated ever since. It possibly marks the first time Anders took a strangehold on the group's output, and continues to do so to this day. It also, imo, marked the beginning of In Flames following as opposed to leading. However, one could argue that they followed Dark Tranquillity, Carcass and At The Gates into the MeloDeath genre. They just happened to produce some of the best stuff in that genre, essentially leading it despite being nowhere near its actual creation.

As an album R2R is basically just a toned down version of Clayman, though. The guitar melodies are still there, they're just buried into that shitty mix. There's much more of a reliance on the poorly sung vocals to provide foreground melody. The guitar sound overall is quite reminiscent of the American metal scene of the time and they continued that into STYE.

Are you sure that it's toned down? System, Drifter, Transparent, Egonomic are arguably heavier than anything on Clayman. Though New Flames up until ASOP was musically heavier than Old Flames. Faster songs with more "killer" guitar tones, in the expense of perfected, long melodies and folky vibe. I mean, CC is their overall heaviest record. And that's why I initially wanted to mention CC among the most significant records, but I guess that one could actually be argued, so I just went with R2R instead.

edit: also, somewhat significant? SOMEWHAT?