IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

I think you overrate R2R's overall significance. It was more a sign of things to come, with STYE being the big leap into the American metal scene - complete with dreadlocks and stupid clothing.

By "toned down" I just meant simpler. By and large R2R is Clayman without the complexity - both lyrically and musically. It appeals to a wider audience as a result, and that's OK. As I said, a sign of things to come.

Are you for real? R2R and CC are not significant? See, this, THIS is what I will never understand. We all won't see eye to eye about specifics, and that's fine, but how, how, how, HOW can you ignore those two records? Whatever you think about the new In Flames, it is objectively impossible to deny the success and significance of those records.

Significant as - considered classics of the whole genre, inspiring whole new genre etc.

R2R and CC are good albums, but they are following the trend, not leading the way.

And I agree with DE4life as usual - RTR is Clayman minus complexity. It is like an album built around lesser parts and songs of Clayman record.

It's like with SC - album built around worst parts of SOAPF.

Are you telling me you still did not realize what was happening between the times of R2R and STYE? To me, even Clayman is different enough (compared to TJR or Whoracle), and R2R is just an enormous jump. I did not follow it "live" back then, but in hindsight, STYE is an interesting record, even if you compare it to R2R or CC, hell, it has barely anything to do with any other record before or after that. In my eyes, R2R marks the entrance of the new In Flames, and STYE was just - for some, or I guess many - people a bump on the road. I mean, CC, ASOP and SOAPF had pretty much more to do with older IF than STYE.

Are you telling me you still did not realize what was happening between the times of R2R and STYE? To me, even Clayman is different enough (compared to TJR or Whoracle), and R2R is just an enormous jump. I did not follow it "live" back then, but in hindsight, STYE is an interesting record, even if you compare it to R2R or CC, hell, it has barely anything to do with any other record before or after that. In my eyes, R2R marks the entrance of the new In Flames, and STYE was just - for some, or I guess many - people a bump on the road. I mean, CC, ASOP and SOAPF had pretty much more to do with older IF than STYE.

R2R was a shift towards the American metal scene, STYE was a total leap right into it. Come Clarity was a real puzzler, a total departure from the route they were taking. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall as far as American metal was concerned, or maybe they saw the rise of metalcore (ironically inspired hugely by In Flames) and decided to try and hitch onto that bandwagon instead.

Either way, Reroute is just a half way point between Clayman and STYE. A tenative step before taking the big jump.

Significant as - considered classics of the whole genre, inspiring whole new genre etc.

R2R and CC are good albums, but they are following the trend, not leading the way.

And I agree with DE4life as usual - RTR is Clayman minus complexity. It is like an album built around lesser parts and songs of Clayman record.

It's like with SC - album built around worst parts of SOAPF.
To the melodic (death) metal genre, yeah, probably. But you sounded like you meant it as being insignificant in IF's career, which is just not true.

And to me, and it's now a subjective field, obviously, R2R is the best IF had produced. How is it not complex? There are so much track diversity, even bigger than on Clayman. Sure, Clayman has more and probably better guitar melodies, to which R2R has more vocal melodies.

R2R is not that complex. Every song has the same structure just like SC. Long first verse, chorus, short second verse, chorus, solo, chorus. Might not be 100% every song on R2R, but it's damn near close. But at least the songs on R2R are far more interesting, energetic, and aggressive than on SC.

Reactions: DE4life
R2R was a shift towards the American metal scene, STYE was a total leap right into it. Come Clarity was a real puzzler, a total departure from the route they were taking. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall as far as American metal was concerned, or maybe they saw the rise of metalcore (ironically inspired hugely by In Flames) and decided to try and hitch onto that bandwagon instead.

Either way, Reroute is just a half way point between Clayman and STYE. A tenative step before taking the big jump.
I have to ask again, are you sure it was just a shift? Listen to something on TJR and listen to something on R2R. Folky vibe gone, no medleys at all. Guitars are much more structured, they are rather heavier and faster, but the point is they are at best accompanying Anders if not even playing under him. Clean vocals. I won't mention electronics, because Whoracle already had them.

But just compare December Flower to System, I think those songs are very similar. Pop them in after one another, and explain how is it possible people were only dumbfounded after hearing STYE? I would heavily argue that R2R was THE jump.

I don't understand how THE jump was from Clayman to R2R when Clayman sounds greatly different from Colony.

Edit: I mean, yeah, it's the jump to a more American sound but Colony to Clayman was a huge change too.

Reactions: Jester Slave
I have to ask again, are you sure it was just a shift? Listen to something on TJR and listen to something on R2R. Folky vibe gone, no medleys at all. Guitars are much more structured, they are rather heavier and faster, but the point is they are at best accompanying Anders if not even playing under him. Clean vocals. I won't mention electronics, because Whoracle already had them.

But just compare December Flower to System, I think those songs are very similar. Pop them in after one another, and explain how is it possible people were only dumbfounded after hearing STYE? I would heavily argue that R2R was THE jump.

Why are you talking about TJR/Whoracle in relation to R2R? They were years apart from each other. Of course it's a jump from those albums, but then so were Colony/Clayman. How many folky elements do you hear in Clayman? Funnily enough, both Colony and Clayman got a lot of stick for being "too commercial", though you'd have to have been around at the time to remember. They were actually great examples of a band evolving in the right way.

If you're talking from Clayman-R2R, it isn't that big of a jump at all. Down-tuned guitars, more melodies shifted to vocals, much simpler lyrics, guitar melodies shunted into the background (but still there). STYE on the other hand is a significant change in sound, with guitar melodies basically retired in favour of chunky, american metal riffs.

I agree
Why are you talking about TJR/Whoracle in relation to R2R? They were years apart from each other. Of course it's a jump from those albums, but then so were Colony/Clayman. How many folky elements do you hear in Clayman? Funnily enough, both Colony and Clayman got a lot of stick for being "too commercial", though you'd have to have been around at the time to remember. They were actually great examples of a band evolving in the right way.

If you're talking from Clayman-R2R, it isn't that big of a jump at all. Down-tuned guitars, more melodies shifted to vocals, much simpler lyrics, guitar melodies shunted into the background (but still there). STYE on the other hand is a significant change in sound, with guitar melodies basically retired in favour of chunky, american metal riffs.
But even STYE only lived in bits and pieces on later records, if at all. For example, deep under Come Clarity's skin, it might as well been built onto STYE, both are fast-paced records with screams and clean production, but CC followed an entirely different way. And then even ASOP barely resembles anything STYE. I guess lyrically, but even the screams are gone.

I agree

But even STYE only lived in bits and pieces on later records, if at all. For example, deep under Come Clarity's skin, it might as well been built onto STYE, both are fast-paced records with screams and clean production, but CC followed an entirely different way. And then even ASOP barely resembles anything STYE. I guess lyrically, but even the screams are gone.

STYE and CC aren't really comparable, imo, unless by "deep under Come Clarity's skin" you mean literally remove all of the guitar work. In which case yes, they're similar. But that's a pretty big omission to make.

As an aside, I'm lost as to how we're connecting all of this to Reroute and its significance to the overall catalog?

I don't know anymore. Let others chip in, and we will see where we are. I prepare the popcorns and the pitchforks. Maybe even put on some quality music in the form of SC. Who knows?

System, Drifter, Transparent, Egonomic are arguably heavier than anything on Clayman

Not hevier than Clayman or Brush the Dust Away.

CC is their overall heaviest record.
In the terms that you have defined I agree.

And that's why I initially wanted to mention CC among the most significant records, but I guess that one could actually be argued, so I just went with R2R instead.

They're different. R2R is a new sound to the band. CC looks like the natural evolution that they were following until they released R2R.

They're different. R2R is a new sound to the band. CC looks like the natural evolution that they were following until they released R2R.

Their discography would actually make a lot more sense if it read something like:

Clayman
Come Clarity
Sounds of a Playground Fading
Reroute to Remain
STYE
A Sense of Purpose
Siren Charms

At least with this you'd have an acceptable commercial sound after Clayman, followed by a steady decline after R2R. Instead you've got a really messy and inconsistent discography where no album really seems to follow the other properly.

Reactions: eochaid
Their discography would actually make a lot more sense if it read something like:

Clayman
Come Clarity
Sounds of a Playground Fading
Reroute to Remain
STYE
A Sense of Purpose
Siren Charms

At least with this you'd have an acceptable commercial sound after Clayman, followed by a steady decline after R2R. Instead you've got a really messy and inconsistent discography where no album really seems to follow the other properly.
I woulp put SOAPF after stye and ASOP before R2R as a first apporach to a lighter sound. But yours makes sense.

Hate to say "I told you so", but...... I told you so ;)

Official confirmation about programmed drums... Programmed by Bjorn.

Over & out

AMAZING. That's what professional musicians do. Next time they don't even need to bother playing real bass or guitars. :rofl:

Hate to say "I told you so", but...... I told you so ;)

Official confirmation about programmed drums... Programmed by Bjorn.

Over & out

Ey man, you people deserve all the credit after that debate :D Will watch the vid later though.

edit: okay, nothing interesting. I hope the record is mixed better, than this webisode, because I couldn't hear shit from The End. Like, Jesus, if I'm already watching #3 of how it's made, at least tone down that song, as I most likely already listened to it a thousand times and would actually like to hear what people are saying.

Last edited:
Apparently, real musicianship was just too kvlt for them.
Yeah, what's next? Anders uses voice enhancement tools?!

Chill guys, it's only 2 (T W O) days until Lady Gaga's newest single! I'd laugh though if it would actually have real drums, haha.

edit: fuck, I even spelled out two, but it's actually 3 days...