IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Heard the title track for Colony and was sold instantly. 12 yrs old at the time and sounded amazing compared to the boring thrash an older brother listened to. The cool keyboard organ effect and guitar riffing ruled.

From then until like 16 listened to other bands and basically only Colony, Clayman and Reroute until came across the rock am ring 2006 show on YouTube.

Shortly after, popped in used and abused and watched it almost all the way through doing my homework one day. First time hearing songs from Jester Race and Whoracle + being a polished mixed live sound brought me back full force.

That Used and Abused dvd had a lot of good content.

It's a great DVD and even makes STYE sound good. Unlike SC, you can see what they were talking about with STYE when they talked about making songs for live performances. STYE is far better live than it is on CD.

Behind Space on the Used and Abused DVD... holy shit. I don't care if it was overdubbed, that might be the best that song has ever sounded.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Echoaid can you watch In Search For I live at Hammersmith from the DVD again and tell me if you still completely dont like it?

I know you don't like it but the growls + keyboard in the chorus fucking rule live on that dvd Im sorry.

Even though I barely get the lyrics haaaa

Reactions: eochaid
It's a great DVD and even makes STYE sound good. Unlike SC, you can see what they were talking about with STYE when they talked about making songs for live performances. STYE is far better live than it is on CD.

Behind Space on the Used and Abused DVD... holy shit. I don't care if it was overdubbed, that might be the best that song has ever sounded.

Dude, I dont get why the guitar tone and other instruments are the way they are on the studio record.

If they recorded STYE with like, ASOP or even worse SIREN CHARMS guitar/instrument sound I think STYE would sound way better hahaha

****example: Superhero of the Computer Rage's breakdown during the bridge is heavy as fuck on the DVD. Sounds flat and weirdly "static" or whatever that guitar tone was on the record.

Behind Space at that Hammersmith show ruled too

Dude, I dont get why the guitar tone and other instruments are the way they are on the studio record.

If they recorded STYE with like, ASOP or even worse SIREN CHARMS guitar/instrument sound I think STYE would sound way better hahaha

Behind Space at that Hammersmith show ruled too

They seemed to fuck up a bit production wise during the R2R-STYE era. Both albums would have been a lot better if the production had been different. It sucks, but on both albums you can hear what they were going for when you listen to the live tracks. Even Bottled ALMOST sounds passable on Used & Abused.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Yes.

Even Bottled was a lot heavier and the riffing could actually make you bob your head. The dual harmony solo'ing actually sounds good on the DVD. Never will get why that shitty chorus and what those lyrics were.

Quiet Place when theyve played it lately sounds big and is great guitar wise. On the record you barely hear bass guitar and every song sounds flat and a lot of "treble"

Yes.

A lot heavier and the riffs that were supposed to hit "hard" do a lot better live.

Quiet Place when theyve played it lately sounds big and is great guitar wise. On the record you barely hear bass guitar and every song sounds flat and a lot of "treble"

From what I remember, both Reroute and STYE had experimental production techniques. I think with R2R they went to a completely different studio, and with STYE they went to some cabin in the wilderness to record.

Interesting ideas but in retrospect these decisions were to the detriment of the albums, which is a shame.

I will unashamedly say I still like The Quiet Place. It's a great live track and actually really heavy in parts.

One of the tracks I feel like I should like from STYE is "F(r)iend" as it's really heavy and brutal, but I've always found it really boring. It's a bit better live but I always feel like it could have been a lot better.

Speaking of songs with weird titles and lyrics... Borders and Shading.

So, the title comes from Microsoft Word. OK. Guess Anders was really struggling to come up with anything that day. But what the fuck are the lyrics about?

"I take a knife, and carve it in
Want to see your faults as a part of your pretty skin
Everyone has a tragedy
I want you to wear yours in pain"

... wut? Is it me or is this intensely creepy? On the other hand...

"Your face reminds me of a bleak future"

... is a pretty brutal line :D fuck. Anders was harbouring some serious hate on that album.

The Quiet Place is fucking great.

Keyboards, Anders "talking" in the verses was good, bridge had cool voice effects and riffing. Chorus nice power. Weird atmosphere that fit the theme of the song.

Yeah so many songs suffer from that off Soundtrack.

Touch Of Red and so many other songs have just weird choruses.

Love Evil in a Closet (keyboards add nice atmosphere and on Used and Abused the guitar riffing is nice and heavy) and My Sweet Shadow was great.

Reactions: DE4life
Everyone has a tragedy

... is a pretty brutal line :D fuck. Anders was harbouring some serious hate on that album.

Yes like other songs on the record. A mix of "darker" themes in numetal songs from the time trying to be artistic mixed with some good metaphors.

Holy shit. I forgot how much I would listen to both live performances of Dial 595 Escape from the DVD back in like 06-07. Was obssessed with that song. I liked the guitar tremolos Bjorn was doing during the bridge that you can't hear in the studio version.

Dial 595 is another "hooking" type song that could be benefited from a "hard hitting" sound. The way the guitar riffing goes back and forth in the main riff/chorus just again, falls flat in the studio. Needed some more prevalent bass booming

Last edited:
Speaking of songs with weird titles and lyrics... Borders and Shading.

So, the title comes from Microsoft Word. OK. Guess Anders was really struggling to come up with anything that day. But what the fuck are the lyrics about?

Everyone has a tragedy

My favourite song from the album. I always thought that he was talking about drugs.

The Quiet Place is fucking great.

Keyboards, Anders "talking" in the verses was good, bridge had cool voice effects and riffing. Chorus nice power. Weird atmosphere that fit the theme of the song.

Yeah so many songs suffer from that off Soundtrack.

Touch Of Red and so many other songs have just weird choruses.

Love Evil in a Closet (keyboards add nice atmosphere and on Used and Abused the guitar riffing is nice and heavy) and My Sweet Shadow was great.

Evil in a Closet is awesome. For some reason the solo always reminded me of Streets of Rage 2. There must be a song on that game that sounds similar. The way it builds up to a really crushing final minute or so is fantastic.

Touch of Red is actually one of my favourites off Soundtrack. Something about it just works for me.

Yes like other songs on the record. A mix of "darker" themes in numetal songs from the time trying to be artistic mixed with some good metaphors.

Holy shit. I forgot how much I would listen to both live performances of Dial 595 Escape from the DVD back in like 06-07. Was obssessed with that song. I liked the guitar tremolos Bjorn was doing during the bridge that you can't hear in the studio version.

Dial 595 is another "hooking" type song that could be benefited from a "hard hitting" sound. The way the guitar riffing goes back and forth in the main riff/chorus just again, falls flat in the studio. Needed some more prevalent bass booming

Dial-595 was my fav off STYE when it initially came out. It lacks appeal long term, but it's a cool little song. I remember that at the time, if you called that number, it was some angry Indian dude :D

My favourite song from the album. I always thought that he was talking about drugs.

I dunno, Touch of Red was about alcohol, so maybe. Might have just been Anders talking about his ex... though hopefully not, as that would be seriously fucked up.

Fuck it, I'm going to throw in the Used & Abused DVD. Haven't watched it in 8 or 9 years, so it's due :D the packaging for it was really nice.

Dead Alone - another song that sounds fucking AWESOME live, but just average on CD.

Like You Better Dead - such a shame the lyrics for this kind of suck. The chorus is really epic, and there's some fantastic guitar melodies on this one too. The breakdown is great too.

Last edited:
Sorry krofius, but your post basically boiled down to exactly the same as Jester Slave's - "I'm right, you're wrong, and you're stupid for being wrong".

I wish you guys would just write that instead of long winded bullshit, it would make this topic much easier to read
No it really didn't. I was saying I don't understand why people waste their time on things they don't like, that's what it came down to, not people having opinions.

Cya when there's something of value to discuss, can't bother with this dull state at the moment of this forum, keep it up though.

In Flames We Trust

No it really didn't. I was saying I don't understand why people waste their time on things they don't like, that's what it came down to, not people having opinions.

We're past that, now we're discussing the merits of STYE, believe it or not.

You are like the mafia. Poor ciko, he will wake up one day with a broken SC record and some nasty message with it.

Hahahah that was a good one. Actually I dont have (had, but thats a long story) a SC record, but I'll buy the new one, hopefully it'll be safe and sound on my hands.

Oh man I missed so much arguments, I had to be here! Anyway since we're talking about Used and Abused i have few thoughts about it.

DVD is pretty good but I'm not sure that it is really live or not. It bothers me a lot. It feels like vocals and guitars on tape and they're playbacking. I'm sure we talked about this on other tread, Jesper was slide picking and it wasnt on the sound etc. Other than that it shows the true potential of STYE. After I watched it, some of the songs felt much better when I listen the album.

First IF song for me was... TQP. And I was like: WTF is this shit? Hated it.

Then some time passed, and I got my hands on CC album. Now, I was quite OK with that one. I still am.

But, then... I got Clayman. And as soon as the first riff of the first song kicked in, I was in love. Then worked my way backwards through the catalogue.

10+ years later, I still love Clayman, Colony and TJR, while the only way I can suffer through STYE is via Used&Abused.

Always thought that album was biggest piece of shit IF did. Then, Siren charms came out.