IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

That was also a month ago. Also, Jesper said that he found out through facebook. So that was not a quit but a fire. Not bad news since the resistance is a boring band and Jesper is doing far interesting music now.

If the personal stuff about is true, its just sad you know. I agree with The Resistance boring, its not because it isnt mdm but just boring, nothing special.

That was also a month ago. Also, Jesper said that he found out through facebook. So that was not a quit but a fire. Not bad news since the resistance is a boring band and Jesper is doing far interesting music now.
Well to be honest, that's what Jesper said, and I have a feeling the band is telling the truth more than he is. He really seems to have a lot of problems. If it's like this then I wonder how many years in the end they had to struggle with that shit in IF before he quit the band. I am really looking forward to Dimension Zero though, that new vocalist sounded pretty similar to the last vocalist Jocke, let's just hope the music is on par again.

Well to be honest, that's what Jesper said, and I have a feeling the band is telling the truth more than he is.

I don't think that he has any reason to say that he left the band. But it could be as you suspect.

He really seems to have a lot of problems.

Agreed. Too many negative messages in the past few months.

If it's like this then I wonder how many years in the end they had to struggle with that shit in IF before he quit the band.

Probably a lot. Really hard to know without personally knowing them.

I am really looking forward to Dimension Zero though, that new vocalist sounded pretty similar to the last vocalist Jocke, let's just hope the music is on par again.

Agreed.

I'm quite curious about what the songs will sound like on this album.

I feel like they just did softer, simpler songs on Siren Charms just to change things up for an album.

I wonder what direction especially, guitar play will be. And the mix of screams vs clean vocals

I'm quite curious about what the songs will sound like on this album.

I feel like they just did softer, simpler songs on Siren Charms just to change things up for an album.

I wonder what direction especially, guitar play will be. And the mix of screams vs clean vocals

I wish they come with more varied structures instead the rush-to-the-chorus.

Well I don't mind the more simple structure if the choruses are sick, such as Paralyzed. It's like Soilwork, one of their most simple albums (riff and structurewise) Stabbing the Drama is all about the choruses, and many of these songs are among my favorite songs ever. Shoutout to the song "Distance".

While I love stuff like Moonshield with the acoustic intro, the interlude, just like the interlude in Lord Hypnos, I also absolutely love stuff like "Where the Dead Ships Dwell" which is just verse, chorus, verse chorus.

I'm also really interested what they have done with the new album. I wonder how Anders clean vocals will sound this time around, and I definitely wonder what direction the music will be. I find it hard for them to go ''softer'' with the music anymore really. I think we all want some more aggressiveness in both the music and the vocals though. Considering the album was done 1month ago we should be getting some news possibly this month at least. Also I wonder what they will do with the drummer, if they got a new permanent member or if they are doing it like Amon Amarth are doing it at the moment, will also be interesting. I would be really surprised if it's a drummer who is not Swedish.

I actually like Ander's harsh vocals on SC and also on 2014/2015 live shows. Eg. the screams on Everythings Gone chorus or in When the World Explodes.
They are more low pitched compared to high pitch screams in Come Clarity or earlier.
So i'd be wanting to hear more of these vocals in the new album and hopefully the music will be more aggressive to accommodate.

I have a feeling that the new album will be more raw/heavy and direct. Less synths and guitar melodies and solos but more aggressive guitars like F(R)iend. They will try to make a point to people.

Well I don't mind the more simple structure if the choruses are sick, such as Paralyzed. It's like Soilwork, one of their most simple albums (riff and structurewise) Stabbing the Drama is all about the choruses, and many of these songs are among my favorite songs ever. Shoutout to the song "Distance".

While I love stuff like Moonshield with the acoustic intro, the interlude, just like the interlude in Lord Hypnos, I also absolutely love stuff like "Where the Dead Ships Dwell" which is just verse, chorus, verse chorus.

I'm also really interested what they have done with the new album. I wonder how Anders clean vocals will sound this time around, and I definitely wonder what direction the music will be. I find it hard for them to go ''softer'' with the music anymore really. I think we all want some more aggressiveness in both the music and the vocals though. Considering the album was done 1month ago we should be getting some news possibly this month at least. Also I wonder what they will do with the drummer, if they got a new permanent member or if they are doing it like Amon Amarth are doing it at the moment, will also be interesting. I would be really surprised if it's a drummer who is not Swedish.

I like good choruses with complex and simple structures. What I mean is that I like diversity. All the song structures from the last albums look the same, with some variations here and there. The only song that had something different was the Chose Pesimist.

I also like when lyrics do not focus on the chorus, but on telling a story.

I agree with WTDSD. But, when all albums are the same, then there is no place for surprise (I found no better word for this, sorry.)

As for the direction, I'm afraid that they will go on with that that they started with SC, going softer and trying to reach wider audiences. I really wish that Anders would put some effort onto learning to properly sing, instead on relying on the studio production, but that's his choice.

I'm also interested in the new drummer. Since it seems that he didn't take part in the recording process, I asume that the drums will not be something "special on this new album.

I do like the aggression of Everything's Gone's chorus. The song deff is wild. And Paralyzed's as well.

Every other song to me off SC is just whatever. (besides The Chase)

Sounds of a Playground's "filler" tracks like Darker Times, Enter Tragedy and The Puzzle are miles ahead of Siren Charms' non-single songs.

As for predicitons... I see two ways it can go which have already been mentioned.

They can either continue with the simple structures, mostly clean vocals and (forgive me)lame songs.

OR they can "make a statement" and go aggressive again. Which at the most, will be Sounds of a Playground in style. I dont think they will go in a heavier or more aggressive direction than a SOAPF type.

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming album.

When STYE was about to come out the producer for R2R, Daniel...Bergstrand(?), openly called his work for R2R not good and was like "don't worry, I did a much better job this time" or something. When CC came out one of the bandmembers said "we thought we should bring the guitars back". And what followed ASOP, to me the blandest IF album ever was SOAPF, in my opinion definitely the best one since Clayman. So the new album being more aggressive again wouldn't be the first time IF learning from their "mistakes". Of course the pivotal question is whether they consider Siren Charms a "mistake" or not. :)

I have a feeling that the new album will be more raw/heavy and direct. Less synths and guitar melodies and solos but more aggressive guitars like F(R)iend. They will try to make a point to people.
There is no way they are going to go with less synths. Even Whoracle had synths and they did not miss an opportunity to throw some electronics in all of their later albums as well. But I think it's a cool, signature part of IF's sounding. Not sure who came out with the synth melodies, like the famous Alias one, but kudos to him/her.
I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming album.

When STYE was about to come out the producer for R2R, Daniel...Bergstrand(?), openly called his work for R2R not good and was like "don't worry, I did a much better job this time" or something. When CC came out one of the bandmembers said "we thought we should bring the guitars back". And what followed ASOP, to me the blandest IF album ever was SOAPF, in my opinion definitely the best one since Clayman. So the new album being more aggressive again wouldn't be the first time IF learning from their "mistakes". Of course the pivotal question is whether they consider Siren Charms a "mistake" or not. :)
I mean, what was your point there exactly? R2R is the band's (commercially) most successfull record and as for STYE, I feel like I'm the only one here who likes that album and not just part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if some people would rate STYE below ASOP. So, yeah, you really can't base anything on interviews.

To me though, it's not a question whether the new record will be more agressive than SC or not. I pretty much take it for granted. If the band didn't feel like they could put together a new album, then they would just tour one more year.
I like good choruses with complex and simple structures. What I mean is that I like diversity. All the song structures from the last albums look the same, with some variations here and there. The only song that had something different was the Chose Pesimist.
What do we mean by diversity exactly? Yes, TCP has a weird ass song structure, takes power ballad to a whole new level, which is really strange from a band which pretty much only made ~4 minutes long songs. But I think it's unfair to expect any band to come up with brand new song structures. The classic song structure most of the bands use for 95% of the time works for a reason. It's much easier to show something new musically, and you can't say they did not do that. I was the one who actually got lectured that Through Oblivion is an entirely new type of IF song, because it's not comparable to ballad songs like CC or Liberation. Yes, now you'd say "but TO is fucking shit", but isn't that besides the point? I'd start to worry for a band more if they don't do anything new, than if they were to experiment on 1 or 2 songs which doesn't turn out that great.

Filtered Truth also had a very strange, non-traditional (well, I guess non-traditional can mean many things when we talk about IF) IF sounding.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd be optimistic, because it's mainly on Björn how the guitars will eventually turn out, and now he had two projects where he was pretty much the "head" when it came to managing the instruments, so the more experienced he is in this regard, the better he should be able to come up with. Obviously nothing will stand in the way of the "Anders-factor", which means the songs will still revolve around his singing, his melodies, his choruses, but those who couldn't bear that kind of IF has probably jumped ship after R2R.

What do we mean by diversity exactly?

Doing more tham two song structures.

Yes, TCP has a weird ass song structure, takes power ballad to a whole new level, which is really strange from a band which pretty much only made ~4 minutes long songs.

TCP is a song with a very varied structure, in riff lines and in vocal lines. Maybe I like it or maybe I don't, but there's a conscious effort on that song.

But I think it's unfair to expect any band to come up with brand new song structures. The classic song structure most of the bands use for 95% of the time works for a reason.

The bands that you listen at, you meant.

I was the one who actually got lectured that Through Oblivion is an entirely new type of IF song, because it's not comparable to ballad songs like CC or Liberation.

Through Oblivion: guitar intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - short guitar solo - short verse - chorus - repeat chorus.

How is that song something new when talking about song struture?

Filtered Truth also had a very strange, non-traditional

FT: guitar intro - verse - chorus - shorter verse - chorus - guitar solo - chorus - repeat intro

How is this new?

Slave why the fuck did you quote everyone's opinion and then, challenge each and tell them why they're wrong?

You're also again, taking one person's particular view and making it ALL of ours here versus yours.

Your OPINION and thoughts are no more right than anyone else's.

I mean, what was your point there exactly? R2R is the band's (commercially) most successfull record and as for STYE, I feel like I'm the only one here who likes that album and not just part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if some people would rate STYE below ASOP. So, yeah, you really can't base anything on interviews.

My point was that I am more or less optimistic about the upcoming album because In Flames have made several "correction-moves" in the past that have been to my liking.

Reroute was a commercial success, yeah, and I personally liked the music, but I was only addressing the production. Many people found the production less than brilliant, regardless of whether they liked the actual music or not. Even Daniel Bergstrand himself said it could've been better. This was improved on the following album, as STYE sounded much more clearer and crisper.

When STYE came out I was hoping the next one would be more guitar-oriented again. And Come Clarity was just like that.

I thought ASOP sounded rather uninspired. I don't know how the band feels about that album these days. Maybe it was exactly the kind of album they wanted to do at the time, who knows. But to me it sounded bland, and taking Jesper's alcohol/depression problems and musical disagreements with Anders into account it may very well be he really wasn't that motivated with the album. Anyway, I was hoping the next one would have more "punch" again. In my opinion, SOAPF accomplished that very well.

For these reasons I'm still hopeful I'm going to like the next one even though Siren Charms was a disappointment for me.

Slave why the fuck did you quote everyone's opinion and then, challenge each and tell them why they're wrong?

You're also again, taking one person's particular view and making it ALL of ours here versus yours.

Your OPINION and thoughts are no more right than anyone else's.

He just doesn't like people having opinions.

Reroute was a commercial success, yeah, and I personally liked the music, but I was only addressing the production. Many people found the production less than brilliant, regardless of whether they liked the actual music or not.

Agreed. The production is terrible.

Minus suffered the worst from R2R's production. So many awesome melodies buried underneath that shitty mix.

They should really do a re-release of R2R with better production some time. DT re-released Damage Done with better production and it's fucking amazing.

Through Oblivion: guitar intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - short guitar solo - short verse - chorus - repeat chorus.

How is that song something new when talking about song struture?

FT: guitar intro - verse - chorus - shorter verse - chorus - guitar solo - chorus - repeat intro

How is this new?
My whole point was that IF and bands in general should alter their sound a bit if they want to experiment, and not come up with records where half of the songs have some funky structure. Unless you listen to bands like Nile and such, you pretty much meet with the same strong structures, unless throwing in one or two more guitar drum solo counts as something extremely innovative I guess. I never heard people shitting on classics just because they have the same verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure.

But TO and FT - for better or worse - SOUNDS different than your regular IF songs. Compare it to some of the more forgettable tracks, like Dead Eyes. Now, obviously neither TO nor FT (though the latter could really deserve at least an "average" badge from you guys) will be your favorite, but Leeches was and still is an unusual IF track and I would assume most of you dig it as well.
My point was that I am more or less optimistic about the upcoming album because In Flames have made several "correction-moves" in the past that have been to my liking.

Reroute was a commercial success, yeah, and I personally liked the music, but I was only addressing the production. Many people found the production less than brilliant, regardless of whether they liked the actual music or not. Even Daniel Bergstrand himself said it could've been better. This was improved on the following album, as STYE sounded much more clearer and crisper.

When STYE came out I was hoping the next one would be more guitar-oriented again. And Come Clarity was just like that.

I thought ASOP sounded rather uninspired. I don't know how the band feels about that album these days. Maybe it was exactly the kind of album they wanted to do at the time, who knows. But to me it sounded bland, and taking Jesper's alcohol/depression problems and musical disagreements with Anders into account it may very well be he really wasn't that motivated with the album. Anyway, I was hoping the next one would have more "punch" again. In my opinion, SOAPF accomplished that very well.

For these reasons I'm still hopeful I'm going to like the next one even though Siren Charms was a disappointment for me.
I understand what you are saying, even if R2R is my favorite IF record despite its production. On most part, I actually like the muddiness, but I would be interested to listen to a different take on it, for sure.

But you are only talking about one aspect of their past records. Yes, STYE is probably their cleanest album ever up with SOAPF, but as you could read (or if you did not lurk around here, just check out the album rating thread), most people here were extremely disappointed with how that album turned out. Yes, from my point of view, all I wish from IF to keep on doing what they've been doing for more than a decade now, which is switching their shit up. I don't mind if their next record will be Anders screaming constantly, just as I did not mind the laid back approach of SC.

However, what makes for a good IF album has got to be the toughest question in the world in 2016. Probably the only record everyone agrees it was great is CC.

Btw, whether it was intentional or not, I think ASOP turned out to be the most depressive IF record, and for that, I will never hear it bland or uninspired.