IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

I often think of Borders and Shading as from the point of view of the person's mind, their conscience.

Edit: I also "love"/hate how he wrote other lyrics to a lot of the songs on STYE but just didn't sing them on the album. Such as this from B&S, "I deny any reminisce of us / I'm on a new mission / I find myself in the future / A trace of the past cannot be found"

Last edited:
There was a lot of that on the earlier albums, lyrics that were in the booklet but never sung. I kinda like that. In the older days (Jester Race-Clayman) it seemed to be because there were too many words to fit into the music, but after that it was more to flesh out the concept of a line.

Nowadays the lyrics are so short and simple that it just isn't necessary.

I often think of Borders and Shading as from the point of view of the person's mind, their conscience.

Edit: I also "love"/hate how he wrote other lyrics to a lot of the songs on STYE but just didn't sing them on the album. Such as this from B&S, "I deny any reminisce of us / I'm on a new mission / I find myself in the future / A trace of the past cannot be found"
Do you mean one's conscience talking to himself? Because in thatcase A weak worn out friend, there's nothing left for me doesn't makes much sense.

I mean, it's not impossible, but I think System is similar. I think System's protagonist is blaming someone too. There are many lines which could be interpreted both ways, but the ones like my life has become such a waste for you are way too straightforward. The way I see it, System's protagonist has been going with the ebb and flow, being naive, following the wrong people, who slowly but surely neglected and/or chipped him away, and the guy is going crazy, because he realized his mistake but it seems too late, he's a laughing stock, a misery, and he is shouting to the one or ones that betrayed him or left him behind. The tl;dr of System I think is being in an abusive (not necessarily romantic) relationship.

The reason I like ASOP, and rate R2R as my all time favorite - beside the sentimental value of it being my first (IF record I ever listened to) - is because of their themes. I love how fucking sick R2R is. There is so much art in a human's mind falling apart.

That being said, I have no problem with STYE's "fuck you" songs, like Friend, Superhero or B&S, great pump up songs.

System is fairly obviously about a break up. Anders was going through one during Clayman, so System is probably related to that.

Reactions: eochaid
System isn't about breaking up with a girlfriend?
It's a bit more than that. The first verse is most likely talking about a lover, but the rest of the song could be interpreted for anyone, really.

But even if we go with it being aimed at a girl, it's still deeper than a break-up song. Evil In A Closet is closer to that theme, though the guy in EIAC was most likely never together with the girl he is singing to. Anyway, System is imo is best described as "living with a narcissist".

I can't ignore the way you make me bleed
I hate when you throw my thoughts against the wall

The guy has some kind of mental problem (I blame and run, sadly all too often sounds like the guy has some form of depression) and he is with a self-engulfed, narcissist personality (who can be his girlfriend who is constantly saying how the guy is stupid), who dismisses him in every way. I'm not sure if at the end he commits suicide or not, but even if he doesn't, he's pretty much just a useless wreck at this point.

The reason I don't know if he dies because: Follow your instinct, it usually takes you home. Don't let these words tear you down. You see me hanging by the end of the rope. I tell you [...]

You
meant the abuser of the protagonist so far, but it would be quite strange here, why would he want to give life lessons to the person he is trying to run away from finally? It's possible though, so he is either:
- talking to us, telling us that just because he kills himself we should not follow his footsteps.
- talking to the abuser, which could make sense in a way that he feels so fucking inferior that even when he finally unleashes his anger and disappointment, he considers his abuser superior, so with his last breath he wishes him/her good things and basically apologize for being a nuisance by ending his own life. Though at the end he still reminds him/her how him/her ruined his life and the reason he is doing this.

I don't think it's possible that he is talking to himself, that would be waaaaay over-complicated to make sense.

If we want to take the interpretation one step further, we could also assume that the reason that at the very end Anders is saying for you calmly, because it's exactly what it is: he is free from all the burden he was just singing about, because he finally pulled the trigger and killed himself OR it is the very last moment before doing so. I never killed myself before, but I imagine you do take a big breath before you commit to the act.

I think someone here said System is almost like a sequel or another point of view to Only for the Weak. DE, A88 or Clay-Man might have said that.

I postulated that Dawn of a New Day was a sequel to Satellites and Astronauts, some years ago. I never thought about System being a sequel to OFTW, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were related in subject matter.

Slave, you're definitely over complicating System and giving Anders far too much credit :D it's just the protagonist realising they're wasting their time in a shitty relationship. Nothing more or less.

Reactions: eochaid
Come back to Clayman my favourite is Satellites and Astronauts .. soo deep song and amazing space atmosphere , verse ,, a silent cry in the middle of hell " kick ass totally !

Come back to Clayman my favourite is Satellites and Astronauts .. soo deep song and amazing space atmosphere , verse ,, a silent cry in the middle of hell " kick ass totally !

Agreed, one of my favourite songs of all time. The solo is absolutely incredible. So glad I got to see it played live.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Agreed, one of my favourite songs of all time. The solo is absolutely incredible. So glad I got to see it played live.

Lucky... When I saw them live they played the setlist that will be on the new DVD (minus When the World Explodes). I'm seeing them again in january, but this time it is as support for Disturbed and A7x (so excited for the gig, 3 of my favourite bands) so they will probably just play the singles from the last couple of albums

Again I fucking wish I could've seen that European fall 2015 setlist.

Satellites And Astronauts guitars are what solidified me back as a full In Flames fan in early 06 when I stopped listening for a couple years as a teenager.

That part in the middle with the clean guitars is such a great sound.

Reactions: DE4life
Slave, you're definitely over complicating System and giving Anders far too much credit :D it's just the protagonist realising they're wasting their time in a shitty relationship. Nothing more or less.

That's what the verses seem to be talking about.

I've seen them playing Swim... that's not my favourite from the album. Still a good song. Satellites have a vibe... It's one of those songs that you definitely remember.

I think someone here said System is almost like a sequel or another point of view to Only for the Weak. DE, A88 or Clay-Man might have said that.
The theme seems to be the same, a bad relationship. So there's a good chance.

In an interview when STYE was released Anders said that he liked to write about personal stuff.

I never said it had bad production, but I don't think it's their best since you can't really hear the guitars unless you have headphones on. I think all the instruments should be more or less even.

Lets agree to disagree :p I have the CD and mp3 copies, and through speakers or headphones the guitars sound fine. Even if they are quieter, it's better than R2R's muddy, nasty guitars and quiet vocals at least :/ to me R2R with STYE production would have been better even. Thats how much I dislike R2R production. Clayman production would have worked best on thst album