IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I wonder if the next song will leak within the next couple of days. I’m fairly certain they will have another one available with preorder Friday. According to the in flames page on VK there should be. Haven’t seen anywhere else confirm this though.

Reactions: Ilias7
I think the next single will leak soon. I bet it will be slow and poppy. Something like Save Me or Liberation.

Liberation is amazing and I'll never get the hate boner here for it. At least I can understand why some people can't stand TCP, but Liberation is such a niche IF song that fits as a closure very well.

Reactions: DE4life and Ilias7
Okay the In Flames album has just leaked and I have to say it's quite amazing.

It's here!!!

Rerelease of Colony would get a significantly better reaction than whatever they're going to shit out in March, I'd bet.

I really need to go back through Arch Enemy's discography and work out when they started incorporating power metal into their music. I definitely don't remember any significant elements of it in anything up until Rise of the Tyrant, which is roughly when I stopped listening to them.

It's pretty cool that DT, Soilwork, At The Gates and Arch Enemy are all in recent years producing excellent old school MDM albums. A shame that IF, arguably the best of all those bands back in the day, is now shitter than ever.

Just listened to Nightrage's "The Venomous" from 2017... it felt like all the ingredients were there, but something wasn't right. Guitar tone was really thin and weak which didn't help, but as a whole the album just had an incredibly generic and uninteresting vibe. I'm already struggling to remember anything about any of the songs. That said, after Gus G and Lindberg left in 2005 I'd say generic sums up Nightrage pretty well.

I've just listened through the whole new Soilwork album.

And... just like every other recent Soilwork album it's a huge, well-crafted blur for me. Out of the whole album I can identify Stalfagel, Arrival, one When the Universe Spoke riff and that cool NBC-like intro melody for Witan. Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable album, but I get the feeling that the band is at its strongest while doing that cool clean/light distortion guitar melodies, while the rest of the song is generic, fast B-side Soilwork material.

A lot of the songs have identical structure (clean melody-dist.melody-gimmick riff-some screaming-generic catchy chorus-repeat for another 3 minutes and stick a short solo or clean interlude somewhere), riffing leaves me cold, new drummer has zero feeling and goes into double bass and blasts every 10 seconds (sometimes less is more), singers is singing just fine and catchy, every time, all of the time, and it doesn't work for me.

So, good but I guess quite forgettable. I must admit I enjoy NFO albums more.

Reactions: eochaid
I've just listened through the whole new Soilwork album.

And... just like every other recent Soilwork album it's a huge, well-crafted blur for me. Out of the whole album I can identify Stalfagel, Arrival, one When the Universe Spoke riff and that cool NBC-like intro melody for Witan. Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable album, but I get the feeling that the band is at its strongest while doing that cool clean/light distortion guitar melodies, while the rest of the song is generic, fast B-side Soilwork material.

A lot of the songs have identical structure (clean melody-dist.melody-gimmick riff-some screaming-generic catchy chorus-repeat for another 3 minutes and stick a short solo or clean interlude somewhere), riffing leaves me cold, new drummer has zero feeling and goes into double bass and blasts every 10 seconds (sometimes less is more), singers is singing just fine and catchy, every time, all of the time, and it doesn't work for me.

So, good but I guess quite forgettable. I must admit I enjoy NFO albums more.

PlainVanilla will be raging when he reads this :D

I agree in some respects though. For me Soilwork is at its best on the new album when they're leaning more towards rock than metal. The songs I like best are the ones that reminds me of NBC, which in of itself had some rock elements. The three I keep coming back to are The Nurturing Glance, Witan and You Aquiver. All three have great riffs, dat catchy chorus and a decent mix of clean/harsh vocals. The rest of the album is fine but not as good as those songs for me. Drums kill Arrival & When the Universe Screams, I find it difficult to ignore them and both times they seriously fuck up the chorus. The other songs are fine but as you say, they blend together a bit. Standard Soilwork stuff that's good but nothing you're going to remember in a year's time.

I would say SOAPF is a more diverse and interesting album than Verkligheten.

Yeah, SOAPF is def more interesting.

Soilwork songs never go anywhere. Pretty much the best part of all songs is located in the first 30 seconds, then a lot of things happen but nothing that really stays with the listener.

The nurturing glance and Witan are good examples of this.

It is sad really, they have skill, they can write killer stuff, they have a good singer...but they rarely produce a great song. I guess that is one of the reasons they are not too popular.

Also, this is really subjective, but Soilwork songs lack emotional punch for me. When I hear While we sleep or Sat & Astronauts or Hours past in exile or Nemesis or Countless skies...it gets me in some kind of mood. Soilworks music is good but it's just there.

Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid
I thought NBC did a good job packing some emotional punch with some interesting songwriting ideas. I guess being produced by Fredrik Nordstrom and Devin Townsend helped in that regard though. Personally I thought they went downhill quite rapidly after this and only got back on track on The Living Infinite, which was cool but way too much content.

I never realised Stabbing the Drama was produced by Daniel Bergstrand (doesn't surprise me though), whilst pretty much all the other post-2002 albums have been produced by Soilwork themselves, Jens Bogren (?), and random others. I really don't know why bands leave Nordstrom, their output almost always tanks as soon as they do.

I really think Speed has found his niche in NFO - that laid back, cool rock vibe works well with his voice and demeanour. Soilwork has always been "that other Swedish MDM band" alongside DT, sitting firmly behind IF, Arch Enemy, ATG and to a lesser degree Children of Bodom. He has more chance of carving out something unique, memorable and interesting with NFO at this point, imo. I don't mind new Soilwork coming out but it always feels like the creative process only got about half way before they decided to finish.

Reactions: Vermyn
LUNAR STRAIN EXPERTS, come to my aid. (@krofius , maybe? Not sure if you’d know any of this.)

What the hell is going on, vocally, in “Behind Space” right before Mikael goes “We are entering dimensions behind space”? It sounds like a guy trying to do a Louie Armstrong impression.

And in “Lunar Strain”, at some point halfway through the song, there’s this weird, breathless gasping going on and I have no idea who that is or what they’re saying.

And did Carl Naslund actually play anything on the album, or was he just there for the promo shots?

This is important info, here.