IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I don't think you can complain on how many people in a band are primary songwriters etc... In some bands all members write music, some bands it's 2 guys collaborating or sometimes it's just someones ''baby'' and they write and do EVERYTHING, like some of my favorite stuff such as Wintersun and Devin Townsend, I don't give a shit if it's 1 or 4 guys writing the music if they music is good. There's plenty of bands where just half of them contribute musically. Some bands have session live members, some people roll with the same line-up for 20 years...I don't care particularly for new members, only person I think can't be changed is the vocalist. There are rare occasions where bands has swapped vocalists and it has worked out great though. I know with Meshuggah for example the vocalist doesn't even write any lyrics whatsoever, the drummer writes them all. Am I sad Daniel and Peter left IF? Yes of course, but I also don't think bands should call it quits just because a longtime member wants to do something else in life or if a member passes away. I mean it's their career and income that you've built for decades, you usually don't quit your job just because else at your job quit.

Those bands are popular cause it's ''easy going'' Metal. It's more accessible music basically. Not as in mainstream radio accessible but in Metal/Rock standards it's easy going stuff. FFDP is massively popular in US primarily I think because of their lyrics and image.

I don't think you can complain on how many people in a band are primary songwriters etc

I don't. It's natural for if that anders and bjorn write the music. That's what they've been doing since ever. This is why it doesn't matter jf the rest of the band members change or if they are not the same that record the album. In the end people goes to the shows because of bjorn and anders.

Those bands are popular cause it's ''easy going'' Metal. It's more accessible music basically. Not as in mainstream radio accessible but in Metal/Rock standards it's easy going stuff. FFDP is massively popular in US primarily I think because of their lyrics and image.

In the old times they were called posers. Today most of the new metal fans are a bunch of posers.

Well depends what type of metal we're talking about though, Metal in general will never be mainstream anyways which is good because then there's still gonna be a huge amount of sick bands creating music. I mean for us Five Finger Death Punch is garbage cookie cutter Metal with cringy lyrics, but for the average "My music taste is whatever's on Spotify top50" person in modern society they will even think they are ''just noise'' which just shows you how far from mainstream Rock/Metal still is, which is a good thing cause it keeps the integrity of the scene.

Reactions: Riamu
I also think that in flames would've been a far better known or followed band if they had not played with the more commercial and american sound. Old time followers are abandoning them and it has not served to gain a large mass of new followers. Only or almost only casual ones.

Well I disagree with that cause we have a living example of this: At The Gates. They didn't change their sound at all. I remember that we talked about here that how their latest single sound like from an album released at 1996 or something. But they're not big as IF. You can check youtube views, facebook likes or whatever you like.

Btw, Niclas was not part of SOAPF because he wasn't in the band at that time. I think they added him after the recording. He was just stand-in for Jesper between 2009-2010

Well depends what type of metal we're talking about though, Metal in general will never be mainstream anyways which is good because then there's still gonna be a huge amount of sick bands creating music. I mean for us Five Finger Death Punch is garbage cookie cutter Metal with cringy lyrics, but for the average "My music taste is whatever's on Spotify top50" person in modern society they will even think they are ''just noise'' which just shows you how far from mainstream Rock/Metal still is, which is a good thing cause it keeps the integrity of the scene.
I'm not so sure about that. Nu metal was the first step towards making metal mainstream pop music while reaching larger audiences. These bands are just folowing that pattern. I don't think that 200 milion visualizations are only from metal fans.

Well I disagree with that cause we have a living example of this: At The Gates. They didn't change their sound at all. I remember that we talked about here that how their latest single sound like from an album released at 1996 or something. But they're not big as IF. You can check youtube views, facebook likes or whatever you like.

I don't think that we're talking about the same thing here.

Btw, Niclas was not part of SOAPF because he wasn't in the band at that time. I think they added him after the recording. He was just stand-in for Jesper between 2009-2010

Yes he was. When jesper definitely left they announced niclas as the new member of the band. And that was prior to the recording of the album. He's even in the credits of soapf as a band member.

The point is, he was not a part of the recording process and no one complained later saying thatbhe should not be touring with the band or that bjorn should play both guitars live.

Changing members are just a natural part of a band. It's a living being formed of smaller living beings so it's object of changes. And it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Wacken is not in Sweden. They are also in the top half of posters everywhere else. Being headliners in US is not expected at all.

Hail to the King from Avenged Sevenfold was a pretty good, non-sellout album. I'm also glad that I grew up with Bat Country. And the early FFDP records were not bad either, American Capitalist was their last good record though.

I don't understand how people become so elitist that they refuse to accept the numbers. Just because you think a music is "shit", it doesn't make it any less popular. And what the fuck is up with crying at metal becoming mainstream? What, Bon Jovi was not mainstream? Alice Cooper was not mainstream? Twisted Sisters were not mainstream? Kiss was not mainstream? Jesus, you treat metal like this little, fragile egg, which only you know and enjoy, and when it starts appealing to more people, you are like NOOOOO ,MY PRECIOOOUUUS, I'M NOT UNIQUE ANYMOOOREEE.

It is absolutely amazing that we have such a widespread variety within metal, so even people who don't enjoy metal band X may enjoy metal band Y. Once you are hooked into a style, you will eventually start giving other bands a chance, and who knows, maybe you end up with quality bands as well.

This attitude is also why I'm weary to say that I'm into metal and rather just say that I listen to everything (which is true), because you people can be absolutely insufferable when it comes to discussing genres. You can be as open-minded sometimes as a nun's vagina - not at all.

I don't understand how people become so elitist that they refuse to accept the numbers. Just because you think a music is "shit", it doesn't make it any less popular. And what the fuck is up with crying at metal becoming mainstream? What, Bon Jovi was not mainstream? Alice Cooper was not mainstream? Twisted Sisters were not mainstream? Kiss was not mainstream? Jesus, you treat metal like this little, fragile egg, which only you know and enjoy, and when it starts appealing to more people, you are like NOOOOO ,MY PRECIOOOUUUS, I'M NOT UNIQUE ANYMOOOREEE.

Those are metal bands? Lol.

Last edited:
Maybe in terms of ''heaviness'' but they dont really write their riffs like that and the Muse singer has a very special type of sound as well.

Also sadly just a 90sec video of Colony but these are the types of vocals I wish he'd use all the fucking time, they are so sick.

Maybe in terms of ''heaviness'' but they dont really write their riffs like that and the Muse singer has a very special type of sound as well.

Also sadly just a 90sec video of Colony but these are the types of vocals I wish he'd use all the fucking time, they are so sick.

Maybe he doesn't want or maybe he can't do it all the time without damaging his voice. It's the kind of vocals that he used in a new dawn and they fit the music pretty well.

Last edited:
I will gladly listen to your opinion as why you think those bands are not metal, or why they can not be classified as metal. I have the feeling that you think those are rock bands, to which you should just compare Deep Purple with Kiss. Metal is not classified as some underground genre, and most modern (= from the 80's onwards) rock/metal bands were blurring the lines of these two genres.

It's funny that you think the likes of Alice Cooper or Kiss were not metal, but fucking Avenged Sevenfold is. But as I said, I'm all ears.

Homework for this week. Learn the differences between hard rock and heavy metal and why they're not the same. Write them into an essay not lesser than 2000 words.

Homework for this week. Learn the differences between hard rock and heavy metal and why they're not the same. Write them into an essay not lesser than 2000 words.
It's your third reply to this topic, yet you still not given an answer yourself. You put yourself on the high horse, so why should it be on me to prove myself right, when you haven't brought up a single argument as to what's the difference between hard rock and any kind of metal?

Why is this purely metal...

... when this is purely hard rock?

These songs not only built up the same way to the bone, they also sound extremely similar. You have to pull some real mental gymnastics to explain to me why the former is without a doubt a metal song, while the latter is rock.

Just google it. Hard rock and heavy metal are not the same. That's not an opinion.that's a fact. Everybody knows.
Even you know it. It's just that you don't want to admit that you're wrong.

Just google it. Hard rock and heavy metal are not the same. That's not an opinion.that's a fact. Everybody knows.
Even you know it. It's just that you don't want to admit that you're wrong.
Not only I've already googled it, I went another mile and looked up this question on certain ask and answer places on the internet, and there was no consensus. Even Wikipedia labels all of these acts as hard rock - heavy metal. It's your fourth reply now where you refused to even give a simplified answer. You know, like if it was rap vs. rock then you could just say that rap revolves around speaking in rhymes, extremely lyric-centric, often provocative and uses various - mostly simple - samples as its "music", whereas "rock" always have at least one guitar player, a drummer, etc. Even if you were to compare rap vs. hip-hop, it would be easy, because you can just say that if you can shake your booty to it, then it's hip-hop, if not, then probably rap. You can't do this with heavy metal and hard rock.

Not only I've already googled it, I went another mile and looked up this question on certain ask and answer places on the internet, and there was no consensus. Even Wikipedia labels all of these acts as hard rock - heavy metal. It's your fourth reply now where you refused to even give a simplified answer. You know, like if it was rap vs. rock then you could just say that rap revolves around speaking in rhymes, extremely lyric-centric, often provocative and uses various - mostly simple - samples as its "music", whereas "rock" always have at least one guitar player, a drummer, etc. Even if you were to compare rap vs. hip-hop, it would be easy, because you can just say that if you can shake your booty to it, then it's hip-hop, if not, then probably rap. You can't do this with heavy metal and hard rock.
You can do this with rock and heavy metal because both use a drummer, bass player, at least one guitar... And that makes Bruce Springsteen the most successful metal musician ever.

Hard rock is more blues orientes. Its lyrics are lighter. The scales are different. The rythms are different. The themes are different. Metal tends to use darker themes and the music is heavily influenced by classic music. Their influences, the bands that they listen at are also different.

Also, if yhey use the word babe then it's definitely hard rock. Unless they say kill the babe. You will never see a heavy metal band talking about rock and roll in their lyrics as you will never see a hard rock band talking about heavy metal in their lyrics.

Wikipedia says that In Flames is a melodic death metal band. Period.

Yes there are bands that sometimes deal with both genders. But this is why both terms exist. As there is one melodeath, one trash, one death, one gothic, there is hard rock and there is heavy metal.

With hard rock you can dance and grab your gf and kiss her. It's sexy and glamurous. With heavy metal you raise your hands and shake your head. Heavy metal it's not sexy. It's noisy. It's sweaty. It's dark. It's profound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
I would like to hear the opinions from the rest of you people. Are hard rock and heavy metal the same? Yes or no.

Remember that yhe difference is that you can soend an eternity in hell listening to Iron Maiden or listening to Bon Jovi.