IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Interesting, so maybe the Square Nothing solo was a conscious (but misguided) decision.

Nah, apparently it’s just weaving some old song titles and album names into the lyrics, in a concept-song sort of way. Which sounds like a neat idea. Kind of like how Blake Armstrong (?) created a narrative out of TJR/Whoracle by making that comic a few years back.

There’s another band that does something similar (Ra?) by featuring one recurring lyric line somewhere on each album, as sort of a continuity nod. On the other end of the spectrum, Dream Theater’s big Glass Prison suite was a more ambitious example (that one involved repeating riffs from old songs to create continuity).

Edit: Wait, Square Nothing solo? You mean in House? Are you trolling, lmao. It’s hard to tell around here.

I think Anders is perennially fucked by his poor grasp of English. I don’t think his interviews would be half as controversial if he could phrase things more tactfully.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
Nice clip, that house looks fucking sick. Good insight also. If I understand it correctly Anders & Björn wrote most of the demos of all tracks before entering the house/studio and then Niclas was there for the whole recording process, meaning he came with a bunch of ideas himself for the music. Seems like he's more involved than it sounded at first.

From the sounds of it he told them what to bin, and was responsible for trying to marry Bjorns guitar lines and Ander's vocal delivery

I underdtood that there were more peopme involved in thw writting process. Though I don't remember if he mentioned niclas.

Nah, apparently it’s just weaving some old song titles and album names into the lyrics, in a concept-song sort of way. Which sounds like a neat idea. Kind of like how Blake Armstrong (?) created a narrative out of TJR/Whoracle by making that comic a few years back.

There’s another band that does something similar (Ra?) by featuring one recurring lyric line somewhere on each album, as sort of a continuity nod. On the other end of the spectrum, Dream Theater’s big Glass Prison suite was a more ambitious example (that one involved repeating riffs from old songs to create continuity).

Edit: Wait, Square Nothing solo? You mean in House? Are you trolling, lmao. It’s hard to tell around here.
Yeah I mean that but I wasn’t trolling. I thought that person meant there were riffs and solos from those songs, just like House does. Like I said before, they could make this album the Smash Bros of metal. But it sounds like you are saying it’s not riffs it’s lyrics.

I can clearly remember that Niclas spent only a week or so in LA, whereas Anders and Bjorn spent 3 months there. I don't think he contributed, he just recorded his parts and maybe threw a couple of random ideas and that's all.

Sentenced was good, especially the poppy stuff stuff like Cold White Light. Too bad the main guy died.

Sentenced already disbanded before Tenkula died, though. They were sick and tired of touring and very close to breaking up in 2004, but decided to "go out with style" and do one more album and tour with that funeral theme the next year.

But yeah, they were good and Tenkula's passing was tragic. He was obviously a broken person for whatever reason and self-medicated with booze. The actual cause of death was a heart failure caused by a genetic condition, but his alcoholism probably didn't help the health issues either.

Yeah I mean that but I wasn’t trolling. I thought that person meant there were riffs and solos from those songs, just like House does. Like I said before, they could make this album the Smash Bros of metal. But it sounds like you are saying it’s not riffs it’s lyrics.

Oh okay, sorry if I wasn’t clear about that. Yeah, it’s just supposed to be lyrical references.

I just wasn’t sure if the thing about the Square Nothing solo was trolling, lol. I remember reading some comments here about the House solo being a ripoff of the one in SN, but I’m still not sure if that was just an inside joke or not.

Watched that web episode. Yikes, not a fan at all of what Benson was saying about introducing them to other artists during the making of Battles. I guess that explains all the random people from other bands in the credits for that album. I'm fine with him trying to help the band find the best way to interweave the guitars with the vocals — that's something the band has been trying to do for a while anyway, so if they can do it better, I'm all for it — but that's the extent of what I would want him to be doing.

Also, that bit at the end about considering the "commercial aspect" is complete bullshit and should not matter in the least. I hope this is their last album with him as a producer. He's the worst they've ever worked with.