IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Roberto in hindsight was really good as a producer, but not a mixer. I mentally associate him with terrible snares.

Bring back Frederik Nordstrom.

Or, even better, let the band produce the album! Worked wonders for Come Clarity.

I disagree, while I love the album itself, the mix on come Clarity makes my ears bleed, specifically the guitars and Anders' screams

Reactions: galvanized
Come Clarity has a rawer mix for sure. The cymbals can be a little intense in particular, I find. To me it's rock solid in every way but I can see how your mileage may vary on that one.

No In Flames album has perfect production, but I'd probably say Colony and Come Clarity are my favorites.

So the guy who wrote the best song on Battles didn't contribute. Bummer.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Niclas never had a solo songwriting credit on Battles? I only remember him having songwriting credits along with Anders & Björn on like 4-5 songs or something, meaning you can't really know how much he and Björn wrote each on those tracks.

he just recorded his parts
Basically they paid for a vacation for him. What are his parts that Bjorn couldn’t take care of in 5 minutes? Niclas must be chill AF, he really doesn’t care. Is he really that well paid to have no IF ambition? I really want to know how much money the band members make. Krofius, can you tell us?

I wish it was just an inside joke :( it’s real

I'm comparing the two solos right now, measure-by-measure.

Are you talking about the first two measures in the House solo? The sound is somewhat reminiscent. The fifth and sixth measures of the Square Nothing solo follow a similar pattern. But I have no idea how anyone could pick up on this immediately unless they were actively searching for it. Sort of like that bridge riff in "I, the Mask" that people said was a ripoff of "I'm the Highway". It's nitpicking to the nth degree.

This isn't directed at you, @galvanized, since you only brought it to my attention: I have to be honest, this self-plagiarism meme strikes me as just a really forced way to try to make an argument that the band is *objectively* lazy. Like, trying to find irrefutable evidence. Aside from the conspiracy theory that says Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn of Events is a whole-album ripoff of Images and Words, I have never heard this criticism leveled against any band. It's so weird, and in a funny sort of way it gives me Qanon vibes.

In regards to Niclas: since he sort of smoothly transitioned from stand-in guitarist to full-time, I think it's safe to say he realizes that this is mainly Bjorn and Anders' project. But he's energetic live to make up for whatever lack of writing contributions he makes. I don't see how it makes him apathetic or without ambition at all (doesn't he have a thousand sideprojects he already writes for?).

Correct me if I'm wrong but Niclas never had a solo songwriting credit on Battles? I only remember him having songwriting credits along with Anders & Björn on like 4-5 songs or something, meaning you can't really know how much he and Björn wrote each on those tracks.

A few pages back someone said Niclas wrote most of Wallflower by himself, according to some interview. That's what I was thinking of.

The saddest thing was how nonchalantly Benson talked about showing the band how to sound better on a commercial level. My issue is not with commercialization, no. It's that IF has been commercial since Clayman. Only For The Weak is a prime example of a metal song you may find on everyone's playlist. IF KNOWS how to be commercial while still sounding metal.

I do like that he tells them if something sucks, I think it's needed. There's a fine line between Nordstrom's fascist regime and Rick Rubin's "sounds good, keep it up boys".

I know lots of people thst are not into metal and don't like oftw. So, if by commercial you mean approaching wider metal audiences then I agree with you. What they've been doing since soapf is trying to reach all kind of audiences, specially outside of the metal scene, and this is more evident for battles.

I have to be honest, this self-plagiarism meme strikes me as just a really forced way to try to make an argument that the band is *objectively* lazy.
Anders is not lazy.

Leaving jokes apart, it's a fact that, for the last albums, there are some, probably mamy, riffs directly taken from older songs amd slightly changed. Though it's true that Bjorn or whoever has also plagiarized some "alien" riffs.

Reading some facebook reviews on the album from people who were in the pre-listening ( and the one from Metal Hammer ), I have to say that I am really looking forward to listening to Follow Me. They say it's an excellent song, with cool groove, nice chorus and lots of SOAPF vibes. I got a hunch it will be something like Fear Is The Weakness.

I know lots of people thst are not into metal and don't like oftw. So, if by commercial you mean approaching wider metal audiences then I agree with you. What they've been doing since soapf is trying to reach all kind of audiences, specially outside of the metal scene, and this is more evident for battles.
Since SOAPF?

Trigger, TQP, Come Clarity, Take This Life, Alias...? and these are just the very commercial ones.