IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Of course it's not this one, because SC is not an outstanding piece of art, so only half of that sentence is true.

You know, I have gotten around with TJR and especially Whoracle, despite not willing to give them much of a chance. TJR is not really a good album, but you have to take it into consideration, that it was still just a youthful experience. It is basically an unpolished gem. Whoracle turned out to be what TJR could have been, though I'm sure many people were not 100% satisfied with the result, because the thing is, until TJR was an unpolished gem, you could fill in the missing pieces as to what a properly done TJR would sound. Then you hear Whoracle and you may say "wait, I thought they would go in a different route!". Still, it remained quite similar, just better.

Colony sounds like it supposed to be this big breakout record, with all the new members and such, and it sounds really... modern? It has a futuristic sound for sure. The soft melodies of the past are gone, and everything is amplified up to 11. If TJR/Whoracle was melodic metal, than Colony is heavy metal with melodies.

Sometimes it fit them, sometimes it didn't. Colony and Embody are clearly the highlights of the record in terms of utilizing this new sound and agression. As I said earlier, Ordinary Story is not bad, but overall it's jus a worse, louder Gyroscope. Zombie Inc. is a bang average B-side with possibly the best metal solo of all time. Resin is good to fall asleep to, and Scorn is like... nothing. That's the song no one really gives a fuck about except you. You can show Colony to anyone, who haven't listened to it, and they won't talk about Scorn. There is nothing to talk about, because it is bang average, and everything it tries to do, the title track and Embody (even Coerced) do it better.

Pallar is a song, where if you are a blind fan, you can write essays about how clever it is, and how it breaks the record, and such a soft song in the midst of these heavy riffing, blahblah. So basically explaining how a black dot on a white canvas is art. Maybe it is, but it really doesn't matter.

I hate Clayman's production, but that record blows Colony out of the water. Clayman is an actual record with variance and depth, while Colony is just "we go hard boyzzzzzzz" +"vocal filter 3000". It's so funny that Clayman has Astronauts, an actual fucking slow song, with nice melodies and decent length, compared to Colony's Pallar.

Who knows, maybe Colony's biggest flaw is being stuck between two great records.

Whilst most of what you just wrote is completely wrong, I do agree that Colony has a vastly different sound to TJR or Whoracle. That's why I refuse to class it as MDM. It's not the same metal genre as the two albums which preceded it.

Pallar is a song, where if you are a blind fan, you can write essays about how clever it is, and how it breaks the record, and such a soft song in the midst of these heavy riffing, blahblah. So basically explaining how a black dot on a white canvas is art. Maybe it is, but it really doesn't matter.
No. It's just a nice tune played with a lot og sentiment. Does it hurt?

It doesn't break shit. It belongs there and it's good. Unless you understand music as a compact collection of similar songs. Then, Colony, Ordinary Story or Zombie Inc also brrak the album. But, since acoustic was part of IF simce the very beginning that song has its own place.

Last edited:
You have to listen to Colony from start to finish to really understand the point of Pallars Anders Visa. It's a soft interlude between the two halves of the album. There are five songs before it and five songs afterwards. Plenty of heavier bands have something like this to give the listener a bit of a break from the heavy riffs/vocals. Obviously nowadays when albums aren't always listened to from first track to last track it isn't so prevelent, but it was very common. Imo it's much better for a band to do this than to attempt a ballad, which most of the time sounds really out of place and sometimes is just outright bad. Arch Enemy's Will To Power is a good example. It would have been better to have a softer instrumental interlude than have Reason to Believe stuck in the middle.

One of the best examples of this is on Heaven Shall Burn's antigone. It's a crushingly heavy album, but they have an instrumental called Rísandi Von in the middle and then another one called Deyjandi Von at the end. They break up the heaviness nicely and, listening to the album from beginning to end, Deyjandi Von in particularly is a hauntingly beautiful way to end the album. Much better than a ballad would have been.

I know what's the purpose of Pallar, that's what I tried to say with breaking the album. I guess break is a pejorative verb, should've picked another one. Still, it is not rocket science. I won't melt just because a metal band uses this age old technique. Does the song bother me? No. Is it anything good in particular? Also no.

I understand that saying the truth about Colony is hurting some of your childhood memories, and I apologize for that, but The Truth has t be spoken. You are being way too nice to eachother here, beating around the bush. Scorn is not good, Zombie is a B-side thrown around a solo, and Pallar is nothing short of average. The record is also too one-dimensional, and when it works it works, but when it doesn't, it produces B-side songs like Scorn.

Clayman and Whoracle are well-structured and have great variance. Maybe individually Colony has some better songs, but that's a different question.

And that's what I'm saying. Since his brain cannot process how bad SC is, it started attacking all the albums that people praise as a countermeasure.

For real, that album should have a warning on its cover saying "exposition to its contents can cause several brain damage".

Reactions: JesterSlaveSucks
One of the best examples of this is on Heaven Shall Burn's antigone. It's a crushingly heavy album, but they have an instrumental called Rísandi Von in the middle and then another one called Deyjandi Von at the end. They break up the heaviness nicely and, listening to the album from beginning to end, Deyjandi Von in particularly is a hauntingly beautiful way to end the album. Much better than a ballad would have been.
You can't really have a ballad with Marcus Bischoff, since his softest side was probably "Black Tears" :D

You can't really have a ballad with Marcus Bischoff, since his softest side was probably "Black Tears" :D

Lol yeah, can't really imagine a HSB ballad :D Antigone is the only album of theirs I really liked tbh. They do tend to sound a bit samey.

But when it works, it works. Every record has some shit songs on it, usually, so having Scorn, Zombie and Resin is nothing to be ashamed of.

Resin and The New World are the main filler tracks to me. I have always skipped them or been bored by them halfway through.

Resin and The New World are the main filler tracks to me. I have always skipped them or been bored by them halfway through.

Same. I don't mind either of them but in terms of quality they are a step down from the other tracks on Colony imo.

So the fillers are not all at the end of the record. Good, since you really don't want to put all your Scorns at the second part of your record!

Call my name is once again being praised to no end. Very interesting.

And acoustic guitar in an IF song in 2019?! Well-well.