IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Well I must say it's nice to have someone from In Flames management on this forum who knows all the inner workings of the band who can tell us all the facts, instead of people just wildly speculating about stuff.

That must be you. It's just that you won't tell us. I'm talking about logic. Is there a logical explanation for Sony and In Flames to not have continued their relationship apart from sales? If there is then please tell us all. I'm very interested on your opinion.

Well I have no idea, no one knows what goes on behind-the-scenes. But to ask you, SOAPF was released under Century Media, for only that album. With your logic then, Century Media dropped them due to poor sales after SOAPF, and then Sony picks them up regardless, and then they dumped them after poor sales from Siren Charms?
After being dumped from Sony, Nuclear Blast signs In Flames again? They must be selling some mighty snake oil to all these labels

It's pretty well known sales have consistently gone down for the whole music industry the last 15+ years especially and if anyone knows that it's the record labels. I mean SOAPF was certified gold in Sweden but only because of them changing it from 40.000 units to 20.000 units sold in 2002, and there's a reason they halved and it's not cause artists all of a sudden dropped in popularity

In fairness to Krofi-kun, he comes from an era of the UM IF forums when you had to be an inconsiderate asshole to survive. Only really him, me and Clay-Man left who were regular posters from those brutal times. Battle weary soldiers.

Well I have no idea, no one knows what goes on behind-the-scenes. But to ask you, SOAPF was released under Century Media, for only that album. With your logic then, Century Media dropped them due to poor sales after SOAPF, and then Sony picks them up regardless, and then they dumped them after poor sales from Siren Charms?
After being dumped from Sony, Nuclear Blast signs In Flames again? They must be selling some mighty snake oil to all these labels

It's pretty well known sales have consistently gone down for the whole music industry the last 15+ years especially and if anyone knows that it's the record labels. I mean SOAPF was certified gold in Sweden but only because of them changing it from 40.000 units to 20.000 units sold in 2002, and there's a reason they halved and it's not cause artists all of a sudden dropped in popularity
Are you seriously saying that it's equivalent going from cm to sony and going from sony to nb? In what universe?

Yes. Sales have been droping down due to several circumstances. But it's easy to see how, when talking about IF, some of those circumstaces are the drop down in quality and the change in the musical direction.

If they're more popular now than ever but that popularity does not translate into sales then there's a problem.

On a side note, it's really funny to have these long esterile conversations :D

Last edited:
krofius you stated that IF has not decreased in popularity and actually grew in popularity since before, so if we can’t use sales numbers what are we using to judge that? SC era is a good example of how they probably did decline after all.

NB would accept them back because that’s their family. Sony is thinking just about $$$, they don’t give a shit about legacy and metal. NB is cool with losing some money to support a brother.

Well all their social medias are growing, look at views/listens on new singles for example, I Am Above exceeeded The End weeks ago and it's barely a month old. Spotify have also increased. I don't really know how you would measure it all correctly, but more people are following them and listening to their music than before so I don't think they could be less popular when that is the case. They aren't canceling their shows due to poor ticket sales either so there's obviously no problem on the touring front either. They also just started their own annual festival in Sweden which they definitely couldn't have done a decade ago.

Counting sales nowadays is completely useless and I don't even think I've seen any numbers reported for most bands I follow since like 2008 or something. I remember there always used to be these ''x copies sold in the 1st week'' + charts of bands new albums but I never see that anymore. You have to look at streaming numbers nowadays, especially YouTube/Spotify & social media reach.

Got an email that my order of ITM was sent out today. I am surprised it hasn't leaked yet.

Well all their social medias are growing,

All of them? Are you sure about this?

I am above has more views than the end? What does this mean? That people likes this song more than the end. It says nothing about the popularity of the band unless you can prove that the difference is due to new followers.

There's also no way to count those people that are still following their social media while not liking their latest releases. The fact is that lots of people who don't like anything from SC is still following their profiles. That's not what I call being popular.

Found a Hungarian review. Won't translate all of it, because it has many of the same old stuff ("In Flames was a side project of Jesper S... blah blah blah"). It's a mostly positive review, but before you hammer it of being sellout, they started their introduction about how IF was pretty great until 2000, then their sound started to get more and more watered down, which barely consisted anything "In Flames". "The fall of the band was probably at its lowest point with SIren Charms" to quote them.

Anyway, tl;dr:
- Strong riffs, good tempo, scream vocals are finally back on the table
- Vocals were surprisingly well mixed with the music, they complemented eachother.
- Despite the harshness of the music and vocals, the melodies are stil lthere. The title song's chorus got stuck in the reviewer's head for days.
- Same thing with I Am Above
- It is great that finally (almost) every single track can be considered a hit. The reviewer clarifies that he doesn't consider these songs necessarily radio friendly, they are just songs you would gladly pop in any time of the day.
- To repeat, the reviewer thinks there are no filler tracks.
- There are some low points however. In This Life could fit into a pop-rock top 10, and he is not completely satisfied with Stay With Me and All The Pain.
- We Will Remember represents the duality of the record. It has facemelting riffs, but with very mainstream vocals and chorus. "We would never think about making such a song, but it works!"
- The reviewer is very happy that In Flames is back ,and not only did they manage to stop their free fall, but with this record, they actually show some good, improving tendencies. We will see if they will keep this trajectory up.
- "The final conclusion is that the fans can once again produly say that they like In Flames. Even if this record does not bring back the good Gothenberg times, it stays true to to the band's name, because finally we have something from that [Gothenburg] feeling. If this is what In Flames will remain to be, we have no reason to worry.

Edit: the final rating was 8/10

Soilwork's boring shit, aka Verke something got 6,5 from the same reviewer.

Got an email that my order of ITM was sent out today. I am surprised it hasn't leaked yet.

More proof of IF decline in popularity than Krofius' social media numbers imo (for the record social media numbers mean absolutely nothing).

More proof of IF decline in popularity than Krofius' social media numbers imo (for the record social media numbers mean absolutely nothing).
No one cares about ripping the newest In Flames, that's why we got 5 songs leaked of the newest In Flames ahead of time. Aha.

- The reviewer is very happy that In Flames is back ,and not only did they manage to stop their free fall, but with this record, they actually show some good, improving tendencies. We will see if they will keep this trajectory up.
- "The final conclusion is that the fans can once again produly say that they like In Flames. Even if this record does not bring back the good Gothenberg times, it stays true to to the band's name, because finally we have something from that [Gothenburg] feeling. If this is what In Flames will remain to be, we have no reason to worry.
All of this is subjective.

In flames facebook page has less followers than likes :err:

That review is invalid because it hates on Siren Charms. I swear, these people...

(KIDDING. I’ll shower praise on SC any time but I realize I’m in the minority.)

Album sales have been declining across the board, mostly because of streaming services. This has affected download sales, as well:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/07/10/music-downloads-extinct/

It’s hard to dispute that IF’s album sales have been declining, but that’s mostly because that’s something the whole industry is feeling, too. I thought Spotify and other streaming services released end-of-year figures for artists? It might be helpful to take a look at those streaming numbers and see how IF has done for the past few years, even if you can’t directly compare those numbers to album sales.