IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Watched another show with IF performing Colony. Jesus fuck it is starting to get annoying how this motherfucker growls EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN. LINE. The chorus of Colony sounds so fucking bad this way. The whole point of that song vocally, is that it is brutal everywhere and then come the desperate sounding, "weak" chorus. Man, Anders is like when a kid you give him a new toy. Only wants to play with that one thing.
Well, he's writting as he knows everyone's opinions.
He's writing the same way you and I write about subjective word definitions, such as "fans". What is a fan, what is an old fan, where is that fan. He represents one subjective entity, which apparently liked them up until Clayman, considers SC their lowest point, seemingly not bothered by Battles, and considers ITM really cool, and a "back at form".

Watched another show with IF performing Colony. Jesus fuck it is starting to get annoying how this motherfucker growls EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN. LINE. The chorus of Colony sounds so fucking bad this way. The whole point of that song vocally, is that it is brutal everywhere and then come the desperate sounding, "weak" chorus. Man, Anders is like when a kid you give him a new toy. Only wants to play with that one thing.
There will come the day when you'll understand that Anders cannot sing. That his voice is a mess. He is clearly struggling and suffering on stage.

There will come the day when you'll understand that Anders cannot sing. That his voice is a mess. He is clearly struggling and suffering on stage.
No, it has nothing to do with it. Anders is an exceptional singer, just not in the metric of American Idol.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about how bad he is. I was talking about how focused he is now to growl. The growl sounds great, but you need those cleans too. And no, no one gives a fuck if the cleans are not pitch-perfect, they never were, but they worked. So just sing the chorus of Colony for example clean, that's all I want, otherwise it's just one big mass of growling.

The again, during the beginning of the SC tour, he singed EVERYTHING with cleans, so...

Reactions: mindd
Last time IF were a popular band was probably between around CC and maybe ASOP.

I don't know what is the correct way to measure that in this day and age. But their social media following isn't that big, their youtube views are mediocre (compare that to Arch Enemy, Sabaton, Gojira, Ghost or even random gimmicky band like Beast in Black), they aren't selling a lot of records, they are playing mid-sized events, and they are bouncing from label to label.

Not saying they aren't moderately popular, because they are obviously working with a profit. But they are not relevant, and they are not big.

And this results are even worse when you consider 20 year-long pathetic (and failed) effort to be popular with US teenage crowds (trying to ride every new mainstream trend, clothing, look, producer, band members...).

Actually, I firmly believe they would do much better commercially if they got their shit together, released a proper, well produced, melodic metal album, and made Anders a little less of an annoying whiny hipster-hamster. And no, I am not talking about new Jester Race. But let's say Colony-light or Clayman with cleaner/catchier choruses.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Oooohh, I can see al the headlines if they were to do that!

Old men trying to recreate their past glory, but fail miserably.

Are they out of ideas? The ever changing band, In Flames, seems to stopped looking ahead, instead retreated to their past.

It's just like Colony! Well, if Colony had boring riffs, bad vocals and mediocre production.

Well yeah, if you're out of ideas it doesn't matter if it is Colony or InsertRandomRadioFriendlyBandNameHere you are trying to (re)create, it's still going to sound bad. But you never know. A number of important bands did make a comeback after years of fucking up.

Oh, and look IAA. Well received. A decent metal song with good riffs, good chorus, decent solo (longer than 4 second you stupid fucks), more to structure of the song than four wannabe catchy choruses crammed in 3 minute of music.

And that pretty much goes for all recent efforts. Can't remember I ever met an IF fan saying: "Yeah man, that House/Truth thingy is a great direction, best song(s) on the whole fucking album."

One more thing. All this talk about them experimenting and exploring is pure shit. They are doing the most mind-numbing, generic music possible, with the help of a producer know for doing just that type of music.

Take Gojira. They are not easy to listen. When they are changing, they are still keeping the basic identity. For that I respect them, even when I don't like a song here and there. Also, their music has the conviction and heaviness of a band doing what it wants and likes. The story behind the songs and albums has some real substance, unlike that oh-maaan-that-is-so-deep ITM story. And while doing all that, they are moderately popular, inspiring and RELEVANT as a band (both among other musicians and among fans).

One more thing. All this talk about them experimenting and exploring is pure shit. They are doing the most mind-numbing, generic music possible, with the help of a producer know for doing just that type of music.

Take Gojira. They are not easy to listen. When they are changing, they are still keeping the basic identity. For that I respect them, even when I don't like a song here and there. Also, their music has the conviction and heaviness of a band doing what it wants and likes. The story behind the songs and albums has some real substance, unlike that oh-maaan-that-is-so-deep ITM story. And while doing all that, they are moderately popular, inspiring and RELEVANT as a band (both among other musicians and among fans).

Honestly brother, even though I personally think they're more generic than they ever were, they still have the basic in Flames identity. Even listening to Call my Name the riffs scream In Flames. Hell, even Our House has that In Flames feeling so I don't agree with you that they have lost their basic identity

Reactions: Jester Slave
Anders is obviously purposefully trying out his vocals that way currently, maybe for endurance purposes? I know it's much easier and less straining to do those midpitch growls than doing the high pitch screams. I don't mind it because I think it's the best sounding vocal he does period. He still screams as well though just that he is growling a lot at the moment, I hope he continues it that way, would make me more hyped to see another show with them for sure.

Lets not kid ourselves here, Magma was a drastic change in style for Gojira, especially vocally. I think Magma is a good album, but it's nowhere the fuck close to From Mars to Sirius or The Way of All Flesh which I regard as two of the best albums ever created in the Metal genre personally. I've seen recent videos of Gojira and either Joe's vocals are crushed, or he just wants to do clean-like vocals mostly nowadays, which could definitely be true considering Magmas more drony type of vocals. It doesn't sound completely bad, but he was untouchable on From Mars To Sirius with his pitched type of scream/growl that I don't know anyone else could sound like. It's going to be interesting to see what their new album this year will sound like, but I doubt they are returning to a more heavier sound this album.

Honestly brother, even though I personally think they're more generic than they ever were, they still have the basic in Flames identity. Even listening to Call my Name the riffs scream In Flames. Hell, even Our House has that In Flames feeling so I don't agree with you that they have lost their basic identity
So, you're saying that, if you show Jotun and Our House to someone who doesn't know about it flames they will know that it's the same band?