IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I like Lunar Strain quite a bit. It's only when I got online that I realized a lot of people think it sucks. I even like Everlost Part 1. It's not as good as their other classic albums but I think it deserves to be in the same company.

My man :cool:

I also think SOAPF pretty much sucks. It's the album that made me give up on the band.

My man... :(

Seriously though, welcome aboard. Stick around. Was your username the same on Everdying as on here?

This board is becoming a polish colony. We're taking over this town.

I think songs like Fear Is The Weakness or Ropes are really fucking great, but extremely generic. I much more prefer almost anything from ASOP
This is wrong on so many levels :D ASOP is the only IF records lacking any ideas, it's even hard to distinguish certain tracks. It's even hard to guess if at a particular moment Anders is a Highway or is he Sober and Irrelevant. Awful, absolutely forced album. SOPAF has those moments, but it's not the same song over and over again. Quite a few tracks actually stand out.

Also, the problem with Stanne's voice on LS is that it exists. Anders on Skydancer is much better. Yes, he is absolutely butchering the songs, but at least it makes it sound interesting - for an amateur record, that is. Stanne doing the same godawful sound 0-24 is zzzzzzzzz puts me to bed.
Mikael sounds so much more convincing, like he actually knows what he's doing. Anders is just hurting his throat. It's ok to dislike Stanne's screams, but Friden sounds hilarious on Skydancer. I could never even force myself to listen to the entire thing, since it hurts too much.

Hey! Hard to explain why...I just don't think most of the songs are memorable. I barely remember what most of them sound like. It's not because I hate their newer stuff, btw. I actually think ASOP is a pretty good album and the last one of theirs that I liked. I even like Chosen Pessimist, though it would be dreadful live, I think. All of their albums up to that point have good stuff on them imo.
How about Where the Dead Ships Dwell?

Hey everyone. New member alert. I've been stalking this shit for quite a while, so I thought I'd actually join in.

A little background on me: I first heard In Flames when I downloaded Moonshield on Kazaa or something in the early 2000's and I was hooked. I then saw them here in Chicago opening for Iced Earth who were touring for their Horror Show album (fuck yeah). They became my fav band for about a decade until I started losing interest due to the downhill slide of their music. I also interviewed Anders during the Come Clarity tour for my metal radio show at the time. I also posted on the Everdying boards for a while.

A couple apparently controversial opinions: I like Lunar Strain quite a bit. It's only when I got online that I realized a lot of people think it sucks. I even like Everlost Part 1. It's not as good as their other classic albums but I think it deserves to be in the same company. I also think SOAPF pretty much sucks. It's the album that made me give up on the band.

Also, anyone think the intro riff here sounds almost exactly like Bullet Ride?

You think that sounds similar to Bullet Ride?

Then check out the intro to this Norther song (A very good band btw especially first album)

You think that sounds similar to Bullet Ride?

Then check out the intro to this Norther song (A very good band btw especially first album)

I was a big fan of Norther but after Petri left it wasnt the same anymore. The last album they did without Petri was meh and I think they knew that and disbanded. RIP :(

This is wrong on so many levels :D ASOP is the only IF records lacking any ideas, it's even hard to distinguish certain tracks. It's even hard to guess if at a particular moment Anders is a Highway or is he Sober and Irrelevant. Awful, absolutely forced album. SOPAF has those moments, but it's not the same song over and over again. Quite a few tracks actually stand out.

I think that's a bit harsh. ASOP has some good moments as far as riffs, solos and drumming is concerned. The issue is the production and vocals, primarily. To me SOAPF is a more uptempo version of ASOP, with fixed production and vastly improved vocals. IF fans who enjoyed Reroute, ASOP or Come Clarity disliking SOAPF baffles me in all honesty. There's so much to like about the album, in a lot of ways it takes the better elements of their "newer" sound and refines it to what is probably its peak. Come Clarity had better harsh vocals but Anders' cleans are better on SOAPF, imo.

Mikael sounds so much more convincing, like he actually knows what he's doing. Anders is just hurting his throat. It's ok to dislike Stanne's screams, but Friden sounds hilarious on Skydancer. I could never even force myself to listen to the entire thing, since it hurts too much.

I'm OK with the vocals on Skydancer (I actually prefer the original version of Alone to the 94 version with Stanne on vocals) but I definitely think it's the production on LS which makes Mikael's vocals sound worse than they are. He sounds great on Of Chaos and Eternal Night and The Gallery, much better than LS, and they were basically all recorded during the same period.

Wow, that’s a total rip off.

Norther made their name essentially ripping off early Children of Bodom :D it's not new to them. I have a few of their songs but never really got into them.

I think that's a bit harsh. ASOP has some good moments as far as riffs, solos and drumming is concerned. The issue is the production and vocals, primarily. To me SOAPF is a more uptempo version of ASOP, with fixed production and vastly improved vocals. IF fans who enjoyed Reroute, ASOP or Come Clarity disliking SOAPF baffles me in all honesty. There's so much to like about the album, in a lot of ways it takes the better elements of their "newer" sound and refines it to what is probably its peak. Come Clarity had better harsh vocals but Anders' cleans are better on SOAPF, imo.

I'm OK with the vocals on Skydancer (I actually prefer the original version of Alone to the 94 version with Stanne on vocals) but I definitely think it's the production on LS which makes Mikael's vocals sound worse than they are. He sounds great on Of Chaos and Eternal Night and The Gallery, much better than LS, and they were basically all recorded during the same period.

Norther made their name essentially ripping off early Children of Bodom :D it's not new to them. I have a few of their songs but never really got into them.

I actually first heard them when I downloaded their Final Countdown cover, but it was labeled as Children of Bodom on Kazaa, so I thought it was them for the longest. I love that cover.

While I don't hate SOAPF nearly as mich as I did back then when I joined this board, I will never understand the love that it gets. The whole record lacks a face, a personality. I think songs like Fear Is The Weakness or Ropes are really fucking great, but extremely generic. I much more prefer almost anything from ASOP. Special shoutout to Liberation though; it's the best IF album closer alongside Whoracle, and the only truly interesting song on SOAPF along with Jester's Door.

The only really good Jesper-less album for me is SC - there, don't tell me I'm not saying nice things about him :D

@galvanized it's the only male k-pop song I occasionally listen, I am 99% for the chick side of Kpop. 2NE1 for example, but the new Momoland song is not bad either.

Also, the problem with Stanne's voice on LS is that it exists. Anders on Skydancer is much better. Yes, he is absolutely butchering the songs, but at least it makes it sound interesting - for an amateur record, that is. Stanne doing the same godawful sound 0-24 is zzzzzzzzz puts me to bed.

I think you should give Mikael more of a chance than just that one album. The dude is beast. He shits on Anders in every way possible imo, though I still prefer In Flames.

Has anyone here listened to Batushka? There's not a lot of very new bands that have caught my interest, but these guys are friggin amazing.

Oh man I completely forgot about Batushka. Usually I can't stand black metal but especially that first song on their debut album is great.

Last edited:
Tools new album has some Half-Life 3 levels of expectations and considering how far progressive metal has gone since their hiatus I don't know what they can do to actually redeem them. My guess is they are going to do something completely different from their previous work and it's gonna piss their old fans off.

I’ve been listening to the Subterranean EP a lot — it’s awesome.

I don’t know about you guys but when I first heard it many years ago it was put together with Lunar Strain for a single album release. Honestly that did it a huge disservice. Most of what I remembered from that CD was medicore LS production and folk tunes. But going back and listening, Subterranean had awesome production and musicianship and should stand alone or get packaged with TJR instead.

Guys, my mind says In Flames should be allowed to evolve and change. But after listening to LS, Subterranean, TJR + old school live tracks like Artifacts of the Black Rain, my heart feels anger. I’m never gonna be able to move on...

Yeah, every time I think I've come to terms with how they changed I listen to something off the first four main albums (TJR-Clayman) and realise just how much better it is compared to everything since. It isn't even a contest. Even albums like R2R, CC and SOAPF, which I have plenty of time for, are a significant step down from the big four.

Still, truth be told four top tier albums is more than the vast majority of bands ever achieve so in some ways it's hard to be disappointed. It's just that they all appeared in the same time period, leaving us with such a huge stretch of relative mediocrity afterwards.

I have a feeling they are going to start teasing the new album or possibly a single this month. Possibly try to get hype going before the next tour

I actually first heard them when I downloaded their Final Countdown cover, but it was labeled as Children of Bodom on Kazaa, so I thought it was them for the longest. I love that cover.

I had that same file :D also from Kazaa, probably. Mine cuts out weirdly at the start of the "we're heading for venus" verse, though.

2j4764.jpg

It's okay guys.