IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Fucking GOAT :cool: take your swaying with your mobiles phones singing to TCP and shove it. This is where it's at.

2:13 on — so heavy

For me U&A is the definitive version of Behind Space, and every song from STYE sounds a thousand times better on that DVD too. It's living proof of how production gimped the entire STYE album.

ASOP has some good moments as far as riffs, solos and drumming is concerned. The issue is the production and vocals, primarily.
Yep, that's it - couple of moments. Even though I like TCP, since it fits my taste perfectly well, the whole album is just a bunch of moments and mostly fillers. The first IF album that got me fully dissapointed.

I'm OK with the vocals on Skydancer (I actually prefer the original version of Alone to the 94 version with Stanne on vocals) but I definitely think it's the production on LS which makes Mikael's vocals sound worse than they are.
For me he's good on all of them. The garage-like production gives Stanne a new dimension, pretty similar to some black metal records (early Behemoth even, from their Grom time).

I think you should give Mikael more of a chance than just that one album. The dude is beast. He shits on Anders in every way possible imo, though I still prefer In Flames.
He's much better singer when it comes to clean vocals, that's for sure, but in the heavy style - really?
Similar to Anders, he had really bad moments. I saw the guys live in 2012 and found myself really dissapointed, both with performance and setlist. For example:

Anders has a different style in almost every album and even then, he sounds different on certain songs. Probably Come Clarity has a bigger vocal range in terms of screams than Stanne for the last what, 18 years?

Fucking GOAT :cool: take your swaying with your mobiles phones singing to TCP and shove it. This is where it's at.
This is great, but I prefer this beast with Hostile/Behind Space transition:

Good times :(

Reactions: ciko_gfb
I watched this quick documentary about At the Gates and it’s interesting to hear about their recording process for Slaughter of the Soul with Nordstrom.

Basically ATG was practicing their music 4-5 days a week for weeks in advance and doing stuff like 80 takes for some parts of the record. Interesting to see Nordstrom say that the Bjorler brothers were so focused that they were “mental” *starts laughing maniacally*.

Now a few weeks/months later enter In Flames who by all reports was quite lazy. I could see why they might conflict with Nordstrom’s style and expectations lol.

Skip to 7:29
http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B8SOtRoayc&t=7m29s

Different artists have different ways of approaching the material for sure. Wasn't In Flames too busy playing Tekken to record most of Whoracle?

I produce my best work when I'm half-assing it. :p

Tekken 3 is awesome to be fair :D

There's no doubt that once In Flames broke from Nordstrom their production went downhill. It became extremely varied but quite often to the detriment of the music. R2R, STYE and ASOP in particular really suffered from not having good production. CC could be improved too. SOAPF is probably the best "modern" In Flames production - SC and Battles are fine too, for what they are.

Tekken 2 and 3 are both great. Haven't really followed the series after that, but in general beat-em-up games aren't my thing.

The artwork for SC and Battles was good too. ASOP aside album artwork has never really been an issue.

Album art teaser has me thinking

Stairs-Illusion-Art.jpg

Give it to ME

Maybe the album title will have something to do with labyrinths, but chances are it'll be, like, "STRUGGLES" or "ENDLESS MAZE" or "STARS BEHIND MARS"

Battles was a pretty weak name. Probably the weakest album name of In Flames' career so far. So generic. The music doesn't exactly evoke a feeling of battling, even in an emotional sense. They might as well have called the album "Surfing USA" or "Hotel California".

Battles was a pretty weak name. Probably the weakest album name of In Flames' career so far. So generic. The music doesn't exactly evoke a feeling of battling, even in an emotional sense. They might as well have called the album "Surfing USA" or "Hotel California".
I don’t know. The whole “Sound...” title is pretty played out as well. Really hope the new title doesn’t start with an S.

I don’t know. The whole “Sound...” title is pretty played out as well. Really hope the new title doesn’t start with an S.

Soundtrack To Your Escape is a pretty lame title. Sounds like the title of an easy-listening album. I don't really get what they were going for with it, but it's least it's kind of unique. I quite like Sounds of a Playground Fading. It felt pretty meh at first, but it fits with the overall theme of the album and in some ways harkens back to the TJR/Whoracle/Colony concepts.

Soundtrack To Your Escape is a pretty lame title. Sounds like the title of an easy-listening album. I don't really get what they were going for with it, but it's least it's kind of unique. I quite like Sounds of a Playground Fading. It felt pretty meh at first, but it fits with the overall theme of the album and in some ways harkens back to the TJR/Whoracle/Colony concepts.

What about "Colony" though!?! It's great in the sense of being conducive and congruent with the record, yet in all fairness, a very boring album title. If they put out a record of that same title today that had not previously existed, I think everyone on here would be crying a river, including myself, on just how lame the title really is. lol