IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

In Flames is the train that speeds along the tracks of hell. Everyone gets on, all wide-eyed and digging their shit, and eventually everyone gets off, albeit at different stations. You can't be an IF fan and keep liking their new albums forever as they get released. It's impossible. Even the fanboys/girls have a limit. I got on with R2R, and while I didn't get off with Battles, it did have me glancing at the exit. Not that this is a bad thing, mind. This band changes its sound constantly. It's only natural.

Anecdotally, SOAPF is where IF listeners I know were like "nope, this is too different" and moved on. I totally get that. I think it sounds drastically different than ASOP. A completely different band. Jesper's absence was immediately noticeable, but it was still good music, just very different.

I think the next album will be Battles 2.

The ghost of Henke Forss haunts me in my sleep.

Last edited:
I cannot accept Clayman as "the sellout album". Of course, it all depends on one's definition of "selling out". I remember Peter saying that from Clayman on they intentionally started making their music more accessible so I guess that to some, that alone suffices for admitting to having "sold out."

In my opinion though, "selling out" equals "changing only because of money." But even Jesper, who was probably the most old school metal guy of them all said, in an interview I recently read, that the spirit and essence of In Flames (or something like that) only went missing after Reroute. (He said the rest of the albums are still decent but missing something.) For this reason I disagree with anyone saying IF sold out with Clayman, or even with Reroute... whether they "sold out" with STYE or some later album I do not know and I don't really care either. I wasn't there, as a fly on the ceiling (does this idiom exist in English?) listening to their conversations about musical direction.
So what happens when Jesper defends ASOP? R2R-CC were sellouts, then ASOP not? But we hate ASOP and love CC, right? It's getting confusing if you/we want to enforce this narrative.

And I always said: if you hate R2R for being "sellout", then hate Clayman too. It baffles me to no end that people cream over Clayman as the last real IF record with fucking songs like OFTW and Suburban Me, like right buddy. Time travel back to TJR and show these to people. Good luck not getting beaten up, while trying to explain it's still the same "spirit" or whatever.

But you said it right: you cannot accept Clayman is the sellout album. Now, insert the same sentence, except every single IF fan says a different record in place of Clayman. To me, it's SOAPF - not sellout, but if I am forced to name the first record which is the least like IF, then I would say that. I'm sure some would even say Colony, and they wouldn't be completely wrong tbh. It was like their first really professional album. More professionalism usually means less amateurish enthusiasm, which can not be reproduced, ever.
Clayman was a sell out but it still sounded good. Reroute sounded like a sell out but it’s obvious they were all into it. So I could agree that STYE was the true sell out album.

N*Flamez
See? Now STYE is the sellout! It's like a hot potato.

Vide is unavailable o_O Anyway, here it is on youtube:

edit: decent song, but it annoys me to no end, when bands make 5+ minute long music, and they do fuck all in the second half of the song. Have some breakdown or anything, don't just repeat the chorus.

To me, it's SOAPF - not sellout, but if I am forced to name the first record which is the least like IF, then I would say that.

How exactly does STYE sound like anything In Flames did pre-2004? It literally sounds like a different band feat. Anders on vocals. To be honest STYE doesn't sound like anything they did post-2004 either so it's just stuck in a weird position of "remember that time IF toured with Slipknot and we ended up with STYE?"

Vide is unavailable o_O Anyway, here it is on youtube:

edit: decent song, but it annoys me to no end, when bands make 5+ minute long music, and they do fuck all in the second half of the song. Have some breakdown or anything, don't just repeat the chorus.

Works for me. Song sucks though. Within Temptation have always been incredibly boring to me. What's more annoying is when a band has a song which says "Feat. [fairly well known singer]" and their contribution is a few random lines that literally anybody could have done. Anders contribution here is essentially a scattering of background screams. At least give the guest singer a verse or a prominent section in the chorus if you're going to advertise them as being part of the song.

Anders F-ckin' Friden, making songs even better since 1995. :D Well some of you guys might know but I'm declaring myself as Anders fanboy at this point. Anders could fart for 3 minutes and I would still love it.

In fact that's whay he's been doing for the past years.

It's nice that you need to listen to within temptation to hear Anders scream. I mean, pretending to scream.

Out of curiosity has Anders ever been a guest for any band with his clean vocals? I only remember him being a guest to do screams :D

Out of curiosity has Anders ever been a guest for any band with his clean vocals? I only remember him being a guest to do screams :D

There are few songs, some of them are not on Youtube so I'll link Spotify.

The Bloody Beetroots - Irreversible (has some screams but mostly clean)

Martin Rubashov - Black Elk

Also I just discovered a song that probably none of us heard. Sounds like a movie music,Interesting one:

I Dreamed A Dream:

How exactly does STYE sound like anything In Flames did pre-2004? It literally sounds like a different band feat. Anders on vocals. To be honest STYE doesn't sound like anything they did post-2004 either so it's just stuck in a weird position of "remember that time IF toured with Slipknot and we ended up with STYE?"
It was still some fast paced melodic metal music. Friend could be even passed as an MDM song.

Maybe too experimental? Sure, but it was still IF.

It was still some fast paced melodic metal music. Friend could be even passed as an MDM song.

Maybe too experimental? Sure, but it was still IF.

Nothing on STYE sounds like anything from their back catalogue. You could call SOAPF melodic metal by that standard too, so I'm not sure why you'd suddenly set the mark there..

Nothing on STYE sounds like anything from their back catalogue. You could call SOAPF melodic metal by that standard too, so I'm not sure why you'd suddenly set the mark there..
Friend, Bottled (yes) and In Search For I could be passed as a combination of various older IF styles.

It's also one of the recorrds from the three where Anders' screams were fucking amazing. You may dig his style on R2R and CC more, but nonetheless, it was an important part of that era. It's a bit weird to acknowledge R2R and CC, but then saying they burned their bridges with STYE.

Friend, Bottled (yes) and In Search For I could be passed as a combination of various older IF styles.

It's also one of the recorrds from the three where Anders' screams were fucking amazing. You may dig his style on R2R and CC more, but nonetheless, it was an important part of that era. It's a bit weird to acknowledge R2R and CC, but then saying they burned their bridges with STYE.

Your first sentence I just totally disagree with so no point debating that.

I agree that Anders' screams sound good on STYE, but that's irrelevent. Nobody said anything about "burning bridges" so not sure where you're getting that from. The point is that STYE sounds very different to everything before and after it. That's not a judgement on it in terms of quality, just an auditory fact.

Anders had the smallest vocal feature I've ever encountered on that Within Temptation song

Last edited:
Anders screams like a female goblin having a fake orgasm.
It's Within Temptation mate, don't expect him to go full Lunar Strain mode. The guy can pull of his screams, it's more of a matter what the rock opera audience can handle.

This one has quite a lot of cleans.

It's Within Temptation mate, don't expect him to go full Lunar Strain mode. The guy can pull of his screams, it's more of a matter what the rock opera audience can handle
As if he can do it better (he can't).