IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I still believe this is a mistake. Single always drops FIRST, and then you can buy it. Probably dumb Americans not understanding time zones again or something.

Yeah I think so too. They didnt even announce anything on Facebook or Instagram. Just members sharing lyrics photos. Maybe they just wanna drop it, like surprise single or something but clearly didnt worked.

The spanish website says that the info was leaked by someone working at nuclearblast. It also says that the single is going to be released within the next hours/ days.

The spanish website says that the info was leaked by someone working at nuclearblast. It also says that the single is going to be released within the next hours/ days.

Then I completely agree with Slave; "Probably dumb Americans not understanding time zones again or something." :D

Reactions: eochaid
I’m in the US, I searched for it (didn’t click the link), chose the first one and bought it. I downloaded it in the Amazon Music app right now.

The intro is very chunky and rhythmic and I got serious “Colony” (the song) vibes. It’s been a long time since they were doing cool rhythms like this that draw you in. The verse is SOAPF type guitar mixed with black’n’roll type riff. It is awesome but not necessarily old school In Flames.

Now for the chorus. It’s better than Battles choruses but has the same vibe. Huge auto tune on the vocals, sounds like late 90s pop punk and bands like The Offspring. So the sound turns me off. But the structure is actually pretty cool. The first part of the chorus is slow but then the second half of the chorus goes into double time and picks up a lot of energy. Also the vocal pattern seems a lot more complicated than Anders has attempted before. So, props for continuing to push the limits. Instead of the auto tune I was hoping for more low growls.

The solo is about 17s long and it’s decent. Bjorn has dialed back the wah wah but he still goes atonal for a few notes early on in the solo which could add some interest I guess but in my opinion slows down the momentum.

If I listen to I Am Above and then a typical Battles song after I notice that this song is much faster paced and has a lot more “bite”. Minus the pop punk vocals, dare I even say that this sounds like a metal song?

Get it.

Last edited:
Well, if it's a time zone thing, then the single will be officially released very soon...that means that the date 07.12 was wrong info.

However, if I remember correctly the Truth was on radio a few weeks before its official release. Maybe it is the same case here

Last edited:
Strange. In europe it's sooner than in the usa. So I don't know how timezones might affect this release.

Pretty good song. I like the much more up-tempo guitar work, and nice to hear a lot of actual growls by Anders during the song too. Not 100% sure about the chorus though, it feels too much Battles-like AKA bit to much of a ''sing a long'' catchy chorus. I like the production overall though.

FIrst listen. The song's not bad. But the chorus is shit. Don't even know why choosing something lik this as first single.

Harder than the past two albums. Better guitar work (but not far better).

And Agree with Krofius. The production is an improvement.

@Vermyn thanks!!

The beginning does resemble Colony, but Bullet Ride as well. And the heavy, fast-paced riffs feel like from the STYE-ASOP era, I really, really, REALLY fucking missed these, and finally a song that sounds metal and not rock. I thought they completely abandoned the idea to ever return to such a sound.

The solo is nothing exceptional, but it's shocking how this song is really unfriendly to the new audiences. Battles was all about jolly good choruses, very easy strong structures, every song was like a wannabe radio and live hit. The second half of this song is not too much for the faint hearted. Nothing brutal, sure, but if you don't dig metal at all, you won't enjoy ~40 seconds of metal music without any vocals whatsoever.

Not sure what to say about the chorus yet and Anders in general. My first reaction would be that I am all for this structure, where a catchy, radio-friendly chorus is implemented into some nice In Flames music. I mean, that's what I fucking loved since R2R.

Didn't check the lyrics yet, but the "my god i need you" part reminded me of delight and angers' "please save me". Lyrically, I mean.

I like it a lot! Fast-paced guitar riffs, nice growls by Anders and a catchy chorus. The solo is actually decent and the song structure is interesting. Couldn't ask for more!

Didn't check the lyrics yet, but the "my god i need you" part reminded me of delight and angers' "please save me". Lyrically, I mean.

I think it's " my god, I don't need you, I won't wait for you to come around"

You are right!

But it annoys me to no end that I can't remember which IF songs those heavy riffs resemble to. It sounds very familiar, like something from STYE or ASOP.

I also dig the outro chorus; if he can deliver that energy live it would be bonkers.

Shot at the chorus:

My god! I don’t need you, I won’t wait for you to come around
My god! as the pain inflicts, I know I’ll bleed, I’ll bleed for (love?)

WE
We’ll never be
YOU
Are (-‘nt?) close to me
This is the feeling that I have been waiting for

The solo is nothing exceptional, but it's shocking how this song is really unfriendly to the new audiences. Battles was all about jolly good choruses, very easy strong structures, every song was like a wannabe radio and live hit. The second half of this song is not too much for the faint hearted. Nothing brutal, sure, but if you don't dig metal at all, you won't enjoy ~40 seconds of metal music without any vocals whatsoever.
Didn’t realize it was that long but you are right. Honestly it doesn’t feel that long. And most people know what a solo is. Maybe they realized they were better off leaning back on their metal roots. We’ll see what the rest of the album looks like.

Also if you don’t like metal music at all, In Flames should just raise a middle finger to that person.

I wonder if it's too late for them to come back to metal. Or if the album is goilg to be as metal as this song. The mix of cleans with screams in the chorus is nice. But I still don't like it.

Last edited:
I will be going to their show this Friday. Usually hang out with them after the show for a bit to grab a few drinks. Any questions I should ask??? Lol.