IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Metaphor is awesome but it would’ve been even better with a solo. I wish someone could dig that out from some archive somewhere.

After more listens it's not as bad but it's still bad. The only part I kinda like is the second part of the chorus I think, with the ''join the fight for our lives'' lyrics, there it's pretty good and the guitar lead is nice. But the beginning part of the chorus just sounds awful, I don't like the tone of the vocals at all. Intro and outro still beyond garbage.

However, it must also be said that in the interview Björn himself talked about how In Flames is a business, how he doesn't miss having a day job and wants In Flames to be big enough they can decide to have a tour any time if they feel like it etc. So since he wants to make money with IF, playing more mainstream music must not be that disgusting to him. :p

Still, Nordström quite possibly was right when he said "you shouldn't have too much Anders in the studio" or something like that.
I don't think thay they're making more money right now.

From that Siren Charms interview:
Gelotte praises the [singer?] and contradicts In Flames at any point in their turn. On the contrary, "experimenting with things," as Gelotte calls it, and combining metal effects with Fridene's own musical ambitions are what he thinks is what makes us "In Flames".

- It gives the music its own color, its own dimension, and this is a very interesting blend, even a collision.

I think Bjorn sums up what makes In Flames In Flames to me here. It's metal — in whatever form but usually with harmonized leads — mixed in with Anders' weirdness. I can't really imagine the band without him. He's not a great singer, but tbh I don't know if I would be nearly as interested in the band if they had, like, whats-his-name from Amaranthe. You'd get better vocals, sure, but you'd lose so much of the character of the band. To me that's pretty important.

Didn't Anders take an interlude that Bjorn wrote for Siren Charms and turn it into "Through Oblivion"? I mean, I love that track, so I'd really have to give Anders credit there. I think he has great ideas, but they don't always translate smoothly into a metal context. But that's part of the charm for me. It's when it all gets filtered through a producer like Howard Benson that the appeal and uniqueness is lost.

It's when it all gets filtered through a producer like Howard Benson that the appeal and uniqueness is lost.
I would agree. Initially I was very disappointed by SC but it is aging well.

Also, I do wish for IF to keep pushing the envelope. Vocally, musically. That’s a good sign that Anders keeps stretching himself. Maybe Bjorn should do the same. But to me generic pop songs are not pushing the envelope, not weird, not unique.

. I can't really imagine the band without him.
Many people couldn't imagine the band without Jesper back in 2006 and here we are.

Anders work has always been heavily influenced by the producers. So maybe we could say that IF would not be the dame without them.

Something interesting I came across on YouTube:

Siren Charms, completely instrumental. Apparently it was officially released like this in some kind of special edition.

I'm going to listen through it now, but first thoughts are that the guitars in the In Plain View chorus sound really cool when not being smothered by Anders' vocals.

Damn the guitars and dead eyes sound fucking good too.

Did an In Flames music video retrospective this evening. Only the first video for each album.

It's been fourteen years since I got into this band and I still have no idea what's going on with the "Ordinary Story" video.

In Flames' music videos vary so much in quality. Hoping for something decent from one of the two new songs. I'm assuming they will put out a video for both. I hope they do.

I'm also looking forward to the press release when they announce the album to see how they describe it, like with SC they immediately talked about how it was recorded in 6 weeks in winter in Berlin and how it added a "sadness" to the record, and how with battles they described it as "confident" and "colourful" as it was recorded in LA. if the tone of the 2 songs we've heard is anything to go by its going to be thematically similar to SOAPF, but with a pop-ier approach and worse lyrics. Either way, except from the choir chants (please, not another whole album of them) I'm enjoying the new songs a lot. I Am Above is genuinely quality, and the Chorus of (This is our) House is really good IMO (not the high pitch bit, the bit starting with "join me in the fight..."

Last edited:

I had no idea they even had a video for Ordinary Story. Back then there was no YouTube and people had dialup. Downloading the song itself took 30 minutes alone haha.

Damn, I have never seen this special edition artwork for Battles before. Looks awesome.

SpecialEditionBoxcover.jpg

Reactions: Ilias7
Definitely better, should have been the actual album art. Can't stand the battles artwork. Really liked the siren charms stuff Blake did though (not just the cover, all the insert and singles art too). The stuff for this album is really good so far too