IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

There is a guy on Youtube named Mostrio Monotam who uploaded IAA and House yesterday, but they were removed of course. In the comments he claimed that he had a private link with two more new songs. He said that he will upload them on a different account, so he won't get 4 copyright strikes on the same youtube account.

There is a guy on Youtube named Mostrio Monotam who uploaded IAA and House yesterday, but they were removed of course. In the comments he claimed that he had a private link with two more new songs. He said that he will upload them on a different account, so he won't get 4 copyright strikes on the same youtube account.

Hmmmm. That’s very interesting....gonna be scanning lots over the next couple weeks then

XDD

Damn, I have never seen this special edition artwork for Battles before. Looks awesome.

SpecialEditionBoxcover.jpg

The artwork is now significantly better than the music it represents :D I mean, if you bought Battles purely based on this album art, would you expect to be hit with stuff like The Truth, Here Until Forever, Like Sand, etc? No denying the artwork is cool but it doesn't do a good job, imo anyway, of actually portraying what the album represents. It's just cool artwork for the sake of being cool artwork. Like most of IF recent output it has no depth or purpose behind it.

In Flames to support Within Temptation in north american tour.

I was about to ask if Within Temptation are seriously more popular than IF, but I just checked their wikipedia and clearly I haven't been tracking their progress over the past few years. Collaborating with Xzibit and Dave Pirner :rofl: okayyy then, never mind. I'm surprised IF haven't got a rapper in yet to spit a few verses on one of their songs tbh. They don't seem to like collaborating much within the band unless it's a hot female vocalist to do a few verses. Fair enough I guess.

Also having listened to Siren Charms instrumental a few more times over the past couple of days, Rusted Nail is actually a really good song instrumentally. SOAPF-ish intro, uptempo opening with a guitar solo bursting in right out of the gate - the song then slows down, unfortunately, which is where Anders vocals would normally come in to fuck everything up - chorus is good too, as well as the solo near the end. Production and vocals screwed up what would otherwise have been a really solid track. I guess that can be said for basically every song on the album, but still, it sucks. Listening to this album without vocals made me realise how great it could have been if the verses hadn't been dedicated to showcasing Anders' inadequate singing abilities, the guitars had been higher in the mix and the production in general had just been much sharper.

Oh, also, Monsters in the Ballroom is a track I hate from the normal version SC, but I actually really like the instrumental version of the song. I think it's that awful singing Anders does in the chorus that makes me want to slam my head through the desk whenever it comes on normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid
Yep, lots of good stuff going on in Siren Charms. I have verified this, and have confirmed it to be true.

I can see how Monsters could be a track one could hate. I’m a fan, personally, and I love that chorus — one of my all-time IF favorites. I get some David Bowie vibes from it (and tbf I think Anders is just fine in that chorus, although maybe not so much in the verses. I’ll take that over auto tune though). The way the synth and the guitars blend together in that chorus is like sliding into a jacuzzi.

Reactions: Ilias7
That's no Jacuzzi I want to be getting into :D kidding, it is a good sound. A shame the vocals over the top make it so hard to hear.

Anders' vocals genuinely do ruin Siren Charms for me. Not just because they don't sound good to me, but because they drown out and bury some really nice guitar work, particularly in the choruses. Plus you can tell a lot of the songs are structured at verse level to be slow and basic so that the vocals can carry everything, which is BS. They managed to blend the instruments and vocals just fine on previous albums so I don't know why on SC they seemed to find it so difficult.

Damn, completely missed the new leaks from a couple of days ago. My first reaction was typing "In Flames House" into google... well, not sure what the fuck did I expect the results would be haha.

Anyway, listened to it now a few times, and started reading through the reactions, but stopped around page 73, because you guys are cancerous. First of all, I envy all of you whose biggest issue are the song titles and them being generic. That's some grade A nitpicking, but oh well.

As for the song, it's like 4 different ideas in one. Some good, some... not so much.

- The intro and outro are weird. Weird, because Battles did choirs pretty well. I loved The Truth and the choir ending of Here Until Forever, so I don't understand how or why they messed them up here. I guess the outro is so-so, as it's still a more creative ending than just fading out, and it will be cool in the concerts.

- The voice changes every 3 seconds make this song really hard to listen to. Again, I'm really glad that Anders is also a fan of Trent Reznor, and adores him for successfully combining the weirdest shits in his songs, but for the love of god, leave it to him. The whole pre-chorus part of this song is what I expect many bands do in various forms as demos, move on to other songs, revisit it a few weeks later and click delete track. Celldweller had an amazing voice commentary series about how he made his songs, dating back from the very first demos up until the (almost - am I using parentheses right?) final version and it was really educational, even if I'm never going to make any music. So, I totally get how you can find this crammed up first 50 seconds cool and groundbreaking, I would never fault any artist for that - but keeping it this way is just a mistake. Imagine a "normal" In Flames song, which we all consider at least decent, and add the robot voice here and there. Boom, some will like it more, some will hate it. That's how you do it. That's how you did it with The Truth. Most people here seem to hate it, but I thinkas time passes, it's the best song from Battles alongside IMR.

- The guitar work is nice. I don't like the drums. The "na na naaa" melody the guitar makes during the chorus is great. I also dig the basic riffing, much stronger than on Battles, and it's not Björn's fault that Anders is not supporting it. Well, I take that back: it's everyone's fault for matching that riff with that vocal. Fucking cut one of them and take it into a different song. You literally pay people to understand the basics of making a record. There are always a bunch of riffs and choruseslaying around, switching dongs day to day.

- If my review were to end here, I wouldn't be disappointed. Battles had songs like Underneath my skin or what the fuck. Do any of you remember it? I know I stopped listening to that piece of uninspiring shit after my second whole listen of the record. You keep throwing around the title of the "worst IF song", but the truth is, it belongs to such songs which you don't even remember because it's not even B-side material.
Anyway, the actual sad thing is that the fucking chorus (or at least the "This is the time..." part) is 10/10 in my book. It gives me Trigger-like chills, and it must be pretty fucking cool to singalong live. But the rest... again, you PAY people to see this.

At least this will be decent live, but we are definitely kept in the dark about how the record will sound. It can go either way boyz (and scene girl).

Oh, and the album artwork is cool. I guess my only complaint about the titles is that there is no new Jester song. How can you put a guy with a Jester mask on the cover and do a Jester song? Hello?!

Holy shit, I actually hate this ending. I was about to press Post Reply when it come to that again. It reminded me from WTWE, which is the worst song off SC. Man, I fucking HATE that song.

slave has a new favorite video lol :rofl: