IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Wouldn't mind Clayman with a competent singer, although they need to find a way to get some agression and heaviness into the music in place of missing growls.

Wouldn't mind Clayman with a competent singer, although they need to find a way to get some agression and heaviness into the music in place of missing growls.

Best way would be to have one of the guitarists, bassist or drummer add some supplemental growls here and there. Let the majority of the song have clean vocals, but then maybe a verse, a breakdown or a couple of lines in the chorus where there are some growls. Pretty sure Jesper can't growl, no idea if Euge or Alex can. Have they replaced Peter on bass yet? If not then I would be searching for a bassist who can also do basic growls to fill this role.

Lmao, I don’t know about *morally* bankrupt. It’s just a band.

Fuck, I’m going to join the realm of disaffected former IF fans, aren’t I? Battles wound up being to me what Reroute was to the old guard.
Battles is the new sound. The Breaking Benjamin sound. It’s the hip new shit from 2013. You will learn to like it man.

Honestly Karma is the weakest track on the Cyhra album. Initially it was cool but it’s such an IF rip off and I don’t like anyone ripping off anything even it’s themself. They can do better. So I hope this new album is obviously different and based on what we know I think it will be. I really doubt Euge is going to help write a rip off album.

Battles is the new sound. The Breaking Benjamin sound. It’s the hip new shit from 2013. You will learn to like it man.

Ugh, and it’s the *new* BB sound. I used to listen to BB in high school. Loved their first three albums, but their fourth was so self-indulgent and self-important, and basically the entire hard rock/radio metal scene followed that exact sound, and here we are.

One of the main reasons I’m still on the IF train is because I like seeing people jump on and then jump off, repeating infinitely. I can outlast them all. But I still overall like the band and believe they are capable of good things. They’re just aiming at an audience with whom I don’t find much common ground.

I think it's harsh to call Karma a rip off. I mean, it's just typical Jesper sound, which he created himself anyway. There's no direct riffs or melodies taken from any old IF song, although there may be a similarity in sound. I mean, to me that's no different to calling Clayman a rip off of Colony or Whoracle a rip off of TJR, because they happen to have similar sounds. Hard for Jesper to be 100% original and at the same time bring back those awesome melodies that we all remember and love. In fact I'd say practically impossible.

Karma is a 9.5/10 for me, I love it. Great energy, solid production, decent lyrics and nice vocals - although I can understand people preferring to hear harsher vocals in that type of song. Personally I think Jake sounds fine, but some people would prefer to hear melodeath vocals there instead I guess. I can't see how those kinda vocals would work for the entire song though, only really the chorus.

Karma is one of the weakest songs on album, but still a good track.

Pretty much the only department they've fucked up on thetwhole album were electronics. They feel so cheap and random.

Also, the drumwork must be among the best I've heard in recent times. So tasteful and detailed with some really unortodox ideas (almost latino) for metal. Can't help myself comparing it to the last two IF albums that have the most mind-numbing patterns ever with zero style and feel behind the drumset.

Ok ok, I’ll walk that back. The intro/outro is a rip off, and the transition to chorus like 1:27-1:39 is straight out of the classic In Flames playbook. But overall the song is better than I remember. I need to spin this whole album again.

Closure was my favourite track off LtM and still is. 10/10. I love everything about that song. Seriously, the difference between Closure and ANYTHING off SC or Battles is so huge it's practically on a seperate scale of quality.

Damn, FB comments for (This is Our) House are starting to get a bit vicious now :D

upload_2018-12-14_22-23-29.png
upload_2018-12-14_22-24-13.png
upload_2018-12-14_22-24-54.png

Obviously these idiots don't understand EVOLUTION.

Reactions: eochaid
Some good emo lyrics (Cyhra - Dead to Me)

What more can a man do than do the right thing, right?
I came to the crossroad while my mind wondered
Where would I be?
What would I become?
The mask is burning
The heart aches from the path of errors
I'm infected through addiction, and I live a life
But my sanity belongs since long to evil
To whom it may concern:
Live, with a notion
To scars that you can't see

But I, I will come out stronger
And in the long run, a winner
Over my greatest fucking enemies
You are all dead to me.

———————-
The acoustic guitar interludes are awesome in this song. Melancholic, thoughtful. This is the kind of thing I’m looking from Jesper. I don’t want him to copy the musical style of In Flames. I want him to bring some spirit back to the music. He did it in this song.

Last edited:
Cyhra? Mehh, I would prefer Anders farting (which he does on some parts of This Is Our House) any day. Some nice guitar riffs and thats it. You guys bash In Flames for even song titles but when Jesper does the same things, you're just masturbating to it which I find weird. I don't have anything against Jesper (well maybe a little bit) but its just weird.
Just checked lyrics for "Inside a Lullaby" from Cyhra (nice song title, not generic at all) so this part from that song:

"So this is why I cry when I'm asleep
I am fragile I feel weak
Without you I feel hollow
I'm alive
I dream with open eyes
When darkness turns to white
The moment when your life's inside a lullaby"

OMG SO EMOTIONAL!! If Anders had this lyrics on the new one, I don't know what you guys would even write. If "I Am Above" was millennial (as some of you guys said) I don't know what this is.

The thing I can't take is that you guys being hypocrite pussies. Sure you might not like the new direction of the band but when the Jesper's band does it, you just can stop sucking up.

Closure was my favourite track off LtM and still is. 10/10. I love everything about that song. Seriously, the difference between Closure and ANYTHING off SC or Battles is so huge it's practically on a seperate scale of quality.

You might wanna check "Three Days Grace - World So Cold". Totally the not same song. Looks like TDG might be your favorite band huh? :D

Well we can't help if you are deaf.

First, sure, Cyhra has some cringy lyrics as we've all pointed out when we reviewed the album, but not to the level of newer AF output. Second, the music, songwriting and singing is good enough for me to look beyond that. Third, it's comical that you bash Cyhra but then defend IF when they do the same yet much worse

So that leaves us with the only rational expl. - you are a fanboy. :)

I mean lets forget all the other elements of the music and say that you are behind a dude who can't sing to save his life, and who puts his voice through a 1000 effects on every song just to hit the right note, but against the guy who can properly sing both on album and live. Ok, Andurz screams fine, Jake doesn't, but we don't have to scream or growl right? We are evolving, we don't want another TJR, we are experimenting and breaking new ground, right?

Sorry, but there is just no reason to criticize almost traditional IF musical background with a very competent singer. What are you against, actual singing, IF sound, or both?

Reactions: mindd and DE4life
There's that internet law that eventually every discussion on the internet will involve the Nazis in some way, right? I think we should establish another law that says, whenever an edgy IF fan on facebook complains about how IF is edgy in a different way now, one of them will eventually post December Flower.

I love it. Honestly, these people are the incels of music. They live in their highly distorted worlds, and feed off from the pure hateful and twisted minds of one another. Many people are either dumbasses or just have some fucking stupid thoughts in general, but you can't talk about these things in public, because the majority of the population is still sane, so you have to shut up. But man oh man, when they find the other retards on the internet, they are so happy to unleash. :D

I just love how IF could either not release any more records, or make a polka song album next (whichever you find worse for their fame), and they would still be able to tour until the end of Earth, if it wasn't for them dying of old age eventually. 90% if not more of the concert goers have no idea about these idiots, especially not about this board.

It also reminds me of fans of cult hits, like Star Wars or Star Trek. Your average person goes to the movies, enjoy themselves, and go home. But you know those fuckers who will write an essay about how that one Jedi held his lightsaber in this way, but everyone knows that he is a Jedi Sentinel, and they don't hold their lightsabers like that, because it's what the Guardians do, and this was established 7038 years ago in the senate with a vote of 70 yes and 13 no, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Sometimes I get upset about retarded, vocal minority views on the internet (like this, or the ultra liberal stuff, or the incel stuff), and need some real life experience again to make me understand that no one gives a shit about this. They put in the music, the movie, or whatever, if they like it, they like it, if they don't, they don't.

Cyhra? Mehh, I would prefer Anders farting (which he does on some parts of This Is Our House) any day. Some nice guitar riffs and thats it. You guys bash In Flames for even song titles but when Jesper does the same things, you're just masturbating to it which I find weird. I don't have anything against Jesper (well maybe a little bit) but its just weird.
Just checked lyrics for "Inside a Lullaby" from Cyhra (nice song title, not generic at all) so this part from that song:

"So this is why I cry when I'm asleep
I am fragile I feel weak
Without you I feel hollow
I'm alive
I dream with open eyes
When darkness turns to white
The moment when your life's inside a lullaby"

OMG SO EMOTIONAL!! If Anders had this lyrics on the new one, I don't know what you guys would even write. If "I Am Above" was millennial (as some of you guys said) I don't know what this is.

The thing I can't take is that you guys being hypocrite pussies. Sure you might not like the new direction of the band but when the Jesper's band does it, you just can stop sucking up.

You might wanna check "Three Days Grace - World So Cold". Totally the not same song. Looks like TDG might be your favorite band huh? :D

So you prefer a guy that's unable to sing. It's a strange choice. It's almost as if you're denying reality on purpose. Just like one of those religious fundamentalists.

Last edited:
Reactions: DE4life
Says IN FLAMES singer Anders Fridén: "This album is really a special one to us. Since our last record, 'Battles', we've established our own annual festival in Sweden and have been touring non-stop worldwide, creating an even stronger bond with our fans. You could say it was a big part of our inspiration for this album. It's been such a long journey that just keeps going and growing. We feel extremely thankful for that, and for the support that makes it possible. We dedicate our 13th album, 'I, The Mask', to our fans who allow us to keep making music and playing it every night. IN JESTERHEADS WE TRUST."
Lmfao.

I think we should establish another law that says, whenever an edgy IF fan on facebook complains about how IF is edgy in a different way now, one of them will eventually post December Flower.
Someone asking for December Flower is just like someone from your generation saying they want Take This Life or The Quiet Place. I wouldn’t go any farther than that.

Here’s the big difference. Cyhra hasn’t been putting up teaser images with the cringiest lyrics as the only information about the album. In Flames purposely chooses that shit to represent the whole album. Look at the comments on instagram, even hard core fans were jokingly asking why the lyrics were so emo? When you put your lyrics first and foremost that’s all people have to go off. Better would have been 5 second teaser music clips. I don’t know what they are thinking sometimes.

After the singles dropped we judged the music by the music. Music is #1.

He literally talks like a cult leader. It's a bit weird really.

In his defense, he’s the frontman and he’s basically expected to be doing and saying things like that.

Whilst IF and Cyhra do both have some cringy lyrics, the difference to me is that at least Cyhra feels sincere. It might be a little immature at times, but I feel like the lyrics on LtM came from the heart. IF lyrics always come off as being fake, targeted towards an audience rather than coming from themselves as artists.

Obviously the other big difference is the music behind the words. It's been said before, but people would care far less about IF lyrics if Anders could sing, but he can't and that just makes things even worse. Add in what is usually pretty basic and boring guitar/drumwork and you end up with far more of a focus on the lyrics than there should be.

"I Am Above" is a really good example of this. Yes we all thought the lyrics were embarrassing when Anders put them on Instagram, but once we heard them being growled well in the song (and the track is actually pretty good, too) nobody gave a shit about the lyrics being lame anymore. Bad lyrics only compound shitty music. If the music and vocals are good then you can ignore bad lyrics.

Reactions: eochaid