IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Haha, don't tell me you haven't heard it yet! That Pendulum album is pretty fucking great in general, so I'd advise you to listen to it all. My dissappointment was huge, when I listened to the older Pendulum records after that, and they all stinked. :(

OK, this might be one of the best songs Anders & Björn duo made! Loving every part of it.

Yup. One of the best songs of the modern IF era, together with 2-3 SOAPF songs. The energy in that song is amazing. In terms of energy alone I think it is their best song since the Colony album.

I listened to pretty much every Pendulum song after that and none of them were very interesting to me. Really wish that they went further in this direction after ASOP. They had a chance to truly redefine modern metal.

But in terms of composition how much did IF really do? I bet not much. They contributed like two riffs and some vocals. That’s all we know for sure. The Pendulum dude probably structured the rest.

Anyway, the energy is off the charts, amazing song.

Last edited:
Haha, don't tell me you haven't heard it yet! That Pendulum album is pretty fucking great in general, so I'd advise you to listen to it all. My dissappointment was huge, when I listened to the older Pendulum records after that, and they all stinked. :(

I heard it hundred of times actually but realized it just now. :D I consider myself as a Pendulum fan, I listened all of their albums and I like them. I call this song an IF song cause when you listen other songs on that album (Immersion), they have nothing common with this one. Anders said in one interview that Pendulum guys wanted to do an IF song so they contacted.

But in terms of composition how much did IF really do? I bet not much. They contributed like two riffs and some vocals. That’s all we know for sure. The Pendulum dude probably structured the rest.

Anyway, the energy is off the charts, amazing song.

If that's their best and it's not even their own song...

It was Björn who came up with the song and bass was recorded by Peter. If you listen to that album you can see that it is IF song. I rather call it Self vs Self (ft Rob Swire). :D

Okay good to know. I actually do want to believe, and I have always considered an IF song. Good example of what collaboration can achieve if the elements are right.

It was Björn who came up with the song and bass was recorded by Peter. If you listen to that album you can see that it is IF song. I rather call it Self vs Self (ft Rob Swire). :D
Then what about the song with Steven Wilson? Is that a Porcupine Tree song?

eochaid I basically agree with your logic but by those standards Battles is not an IF album either because of the producer involvement. To me Pendulum was acting the same as a producer.

You people seem to know a lot about the story of the song.

You know that IF appears as guests musicians... I would not dare call this an IF song.

This track is a collaboration with Swedish death metalers In Flames, who have been a favourite of Pendulum lead singer Rob Swire since high school. Swire told The NME January 16 2010: "Me and Gareth (McGrillen) have been talking a lot about doing a track with proper metal vocals. It's melodic and leaning towards a death metal-style. We experimented with that style of guitars on the live version of the Coldplay track we did ("Violet Hill"), but this is much heavier."

Unless, of course, you're saying that IF are guest musicians on battles.

I meant that all the songs on that album is in the same vein except for that IF song. I have listened that album over and over again so thats why I'm saying this. Give it a chance, I'm sure you will agree with me:D

I have heard that album. Included the SW one. Maybe you're not that familiar with his work.

They wantes to make a metal aong. Called IF and made a collaboration. Of courae it has an IF vibe since it seems that's what they wanted to do.

There's not a big difference between both songs, except for the use of metal guitars and a different singer.

There's not a big difference between both songs, except for the use of metal guitars and a different singer.

Yeah you're right. There's no big difference between Eminem and Metallica too, except for the metal guitar and singers of course. :D If you know Pendulum, I'm pretty sure you know that there's no Pendulum song that come close to Self vs Self. If that song didnt had Pendulum title, people wouldn't even know cause it sounds like IF, not Pendulum.

Well since it's a co-production it is hard to judge whose song is it, so it's just easier to treat it as both bands'. The most similar song is probably Dead End. It could've been called Lisa Miskovsky feat. In Flames.
Like what IF? CC IF? SOAPF IF? Battles IF?

I don't know how IF does sound...
That's the beauty of it =)

Reactions: eochaid
Well since it's a co-production it is hard to judge whose song is it, so it's just easier to treat it as both bands'. The most similar song is probably Dead End. It could've been called Lisa Miskovsky feat. In Flames.

That's the beauty of it =)

It's a colaboration. It's quite clear in the credits. Pendulum feat. In Flames.

You know, lately you don't sound like yourself. Maybe you should change your name :p

Credit goes to the person who paid the $$$. Pendulum handed IF money to collaborate. So Pendulum takes main credit.