IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Production sounds similar to battles to me, just with better guitars. Drums are still soulless and probably programmed

7/10

I'm enjoying this song. Not their best but, after 24 years I'm not expecting their best. Just good songs. It has agression. It has energy.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same here.

I'm expecting an album better than Battles.

Let's be honest thats not setting the bar high, Battles was a complete mis-step by the band, far too commercially orientated. One or two good songs are on there (see Drained, The End, Wallflower) but too many are overly produced, low effort tracks with aweful production and mixing

Reactions: eochaid
At the time I thought the album was real good I remember, but holy hell, has my opinion changed. Through My Eyes is unlistenable, the poor tone, the aweful transitions between riffs and sections of the song, the cut up "protect" in the pre chorus that still makes me judder, the mixing favoring vocals so much, and the obnoxiously loud guitar solo. No wonder they've never played the song live, it's not their proudest moment.

Edit: my point being it sounded forced, the heaviness, and that they, or Howard, tried to bury it in the mix. I Am Above sounds like its heavy but that they actually want it to sound heavy, with the deep growls, and with just how well the song fits together (except perhaps the final 30 seconds which is a bit odd)

Children of Bodom announced their new album Hexed, but no single yet. It will be released on March 8th, just like I, the Mask ( if this spanish website was correct ). I'm having a hard time trying to understand Nuclear Blast's marketing strategy...

I read some about the CoB album, apparently Alexi was real fucking pissed about the album release delay, they planned to release it this fall but it got pushed back to March for some reason, and they didn't get a really good explanation from NB, seeing as it's pretty much the same situation for In Flames supposedly releasing the album in March, must be something going on behind the scenes at Nuclear Blast and nothing to do with any band decisions. CoB's new album art was real fucking cool though IMO.

Also don't get your hopes up to high guys, I Am Above might be the highlight of the album. Hopefully not but it's the same producer as on Battles so it's not gonna be some mindblowing difference. But if I Am Above is an indication of the albums sound in general that's not bad news at least.

Q1 2019 could be really fucking good though, got Soilwork, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Children of Bodom & Devin Townsend releasing new albums. Some of the albums I know I'll love/like, others hopefully doesn't suck.

Also don't get your hopes up to high guys, I Am Above might be the highlight of the album. Hopefully not but it's the same producer as on Battles so it's not gonna be some mindblowing difference. But if I Am Above is an indication of the albums sound in general that's not bad news at least.
I don't have high hopes. I just like this song. The rest of the album... we'll see when the time comes. Stillm I hope this album will be heavier. They also had repeated producer in SOAPF and SC (Roberto Laghi, who also heped in the production of ASOP), and we can agree that both albums are very different.

Children of Bodom announced their new album Hexed, but no single yet. It will be released on March 8th, just like I, the Mask ( if this spanish website was correct ). I'm having a hard time trying to understand Nuclear Blast's marketing strategy...
If both dates are true then I don't understand what they're doing. The fact is that both releases will be near in time. Which doesn't seem like a good selling policy.

Let's be honest thats not setting the bar high, Battles was a complete mis-step by the band, far too commercially orientated. One or two good songs are on there (see Drained, The End, Wallflower) but too many are overly produced, low effort tracks with aweful production and mixing

I prefer to set the bar lower and potentially become positively surprised than expect too much and end up disappointed. :p

If you play a Battles song after I Am Above you can clearly hear the production is far clearer on the newer song. It sounds flat and kind of muddy on Battles. I didn't really notice it at the time.

The FB comments are pretty funny :D some guy - "please don't ruin this with some pop emo chorus".

Anders:

trollface-quest.png

Can't wait for bodom album as well, going to be a good week for releases, with While She Sleeps dropping their new album march 1st

I'm sure people in here are talking about that music video teaser, and I don't want to read reactions just yet. But I would not be surprised if the guy turns into Anders. Seems like something they'd do. Like the oddly funny reveal that Bjorn was one of the serial killers/monsters in the "Save Me" video.

Edit: Okay, couldn't help myself.

LOL @ "please don't ruin this with a pop/emo chorus". Has this guy even heard, like, the majority of In Flames' discography? I think a lot of people just like setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm sure people in here are talking about that music video teaser, and I don't want to read reactions just yet. But I would not be surprised if the guy turns into Anders. Seems like something they'd do. Like the oddly funny reveal that Bjorn was one of the serial killers/monsters in the "Save Me" video.

Edit: Okay, couldn't help myself.

LOL @ "please don't ruin this with a pop/emo chorus". Has this guy even heard, like, the majority of In Flames' discography? I think a lot of people just like setting themselves up for disappointment.
Yeah at the last part man I don't know if people are literally retarded or something cause I always see the same type of people asking for them to go back to oldschool sound again. I get that people want them to return to that sound but I mean if it's not clear by the last 15 years worth of music that they're not going that direction again whatsoever then I don't know what to tell them.

Also funny when you see comments saying ''This sounds like old in flames'' or something like that on newer songs (saw few of those comments on the I Am Above teaser clip for example), I wonder if those people are newer fans and mean that Come Clarity means old IF or if they honestly think it sounds like early IF.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
Yeah at the last part man I don't know if people are literally retarded or something cause I always see the same type of people asking for them to go back to oldschool sound again. I get that people want them to return to that sound but I mean if it's not clear by the last 15 years worth of music that they're not going that direction again whatsoever then I don't know what to tell them.

Also funny when you see comments saying ''This sounds like old in flames'' or something like that on newer songs (saw few of those comments on the I Am Above teaser clip for example), I wonder if those people are newer fans and mean that Come Clarity means old IF or if they honestly think it sounds like early IF.

I think there are multiple definitions of "old In Flames" at this point, yeah. When people say it sounds like old IF, I'm guessing they mean mid-2000s IF. Seems to me that SOAPF introduced a whole other "generation" of IF fans, so much so that the 2000s era fans can't really be considered "new" anymore, and everything released in that decade can be considered "old". It's been ten years since ASOP, after all.

Or maybe it just refers to the last IF album you really liked.

Who can say? In Flames is a Rorschach test.

You've gotta have in mind that, for some people, old IF means soapf.

What we call the "old" In Flames would probably be considered ancient to most fans these days :D a fair portion of IF fans won't even have been born when the likes of Lunar Strain or TJR were released.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor