Introduce Yourself - the n00b thread

Old member here, but with a new username. My old username was "BludDisorder". However, I did not really post much with that username so I doubt anyone would reconize me.

burzum avatar, very cool, off topic but do you know anything about a new album, ive had a hard time getting into them, but for some reason im anxious to hear something new

Some of this thread is like an Opethaholics group.
Noob- My names Rupert, and I love Opeth
Forum- Hello Rupert
Noob- I have listened to Opeth non stop for months
Forum- *claps*

Since I'm here anyway, I might as well say a few words here.

I've been lurking for a few months now, but never could really be arsed to sign up. Now, after a few beers I thought, what the hell...

I've been listening to Opeth for a few years, pretty much since BWP. I got the SE, but didn't really get it at first. I liked The Funeral Portrait on first listening, but didn't really get into the other songs. I guess it's pretty much a "standard" death metal song, so to say, dunno why I liked the song instantly. It wouldn't be my first choice from the album nowadays.
So I put the album aside for a few months. I wasn't really into death metal anymore at the time, at least, that's what I thought. Maybe I didn't really want to listen to it anymore, because I thought I was getting too old for it, or something. Now I realize that's bullshit. You're never too old for some good metal! :headbang:

Anyway, I started to appreciate the rest of the album too, and, of course, wanted more! So I bought D&D and GR. I really like all those albums.

Problem is, when you start with BWP, it's kinda hard to get into the earlier albums, because you're really spoiled, production wise. I like MAYH and SL, but the first 2 albums are hard to get into... I like the songs, but the sound kinda ruins it for me atm. Maybe that'll change soon, but we'll see.

Anyways, that's it basically... Cheers!:kickass:

I've been here off and on, mostly browsing and not posting too much... so I thought I'd say hello! I've been into Opeth for a while now, and the new album is great. Currently addicted to 'Burden.'

Yeah I'm a n00b.

Been listening to Opeth since Deliverance came out. Favorite album would have to be either Blackwater Park or Damnation. But I like them all (except Orchid, I just haven't been able to get into it).

Hello everyone, another forum and metal n00b here. Stillness7 didn't want to post a whole welcome the n00b thread in the right forum...
I've been listening excessively to Opeth for about an year, they are my favorite band, and so on. BWP would be my favorite album. Lulz at in_my_time_of_disease's post!

Does anyone remember the Mikael Akerfeldt and Martin Mendez headbang animated avatar? I have been trying to find it as I saw in on this site a long time ago but can't find it.

Oi, Tom Vou here.

Opeth is currently my favorite band, i've been into them for about a year. my brother had all the albums and when i realized how great they were i burned them all on my itunes. A funny story about my opeth experience was when i was on a plane to visit my cousin, my brother broke out the ipod and turned on some ghost of perdition. I hate flying and when i listened i told him to turn it off because i was afraid god would bring the plane down because we were listening to something Satanic... only now do i realize how wrong i was and how it isn't satanic at all, just very heavy and dark, which kicks ass(now i can reflect and see that the metal gods would have kept the plane aloft :lol:). well im also into between the buried & me, the misfits (danzig era), dead kennedys, NOFX (im pretty into punk if you cant see), bloodbath, slayer, strapping young lad, dillinger escape plane, (most things of this nature), and the classics of course: acdc, floyd, metallica, etc.

I love the new album, and i also very much like GR and MAYH. I wont go into my favorite opeth songs as there are to many to mention.

I look forward to perusing and contributing to the forum

Oi, Tom Vou here.

Opeth is currently my favorite band, i've been into them for about a year. my brother had all the albums and when i realized how great they were i burned them all on my itunes. A funny story about my opeth experience was when i was on a plane to visit my cousin, my brother broke out the ipod and turned on some ghost of perdition. I hate flying and when i listened i told him to turn it off because i was afraid god would bring the plane down because we were listening to something Satanic... only now do i realize how wrong i was and how it isn't satanic at all, just very heavy and dark, which kicks ass(now i can reflect and see that the metal gods would have kept the plane aloft :lol:). well im also into between the buried & me, the misfits (danzig era), dead kennedys, NOFX (im pretty into punk if you cant see), bloodbath, slayer, strapping young lad, dillinger escape plane, (most things of this nature), and the classics of course: acdc, floyd, metallica, etc.

I love the new album, and i also very much like GR and MAYH. I wont go into my favorite opeth songs as there are to many to mention.

I look forward to perusing and contributing to the forum

Funny story

Ghost Reveries is pretty Satanic actually :heh:

Welcome to the forum.

hello everyone,im new here,i was googling forums about opeth and i found this one to be great so i thought that i'd join:D

Hey, Sav here. Decided facebook wasn't good enough for my discussions of all things Opeth. Got into them a few years ago when my mate got me Still Life as a pressie. Before that I'd only heard Deliverance - and was interested. After that I became a bit of an addict and own everything cept for the Roundhouse Tapes. The only thing about Opeth is that I'll never get to see "THE" lineup live ( unless they have a reunion ;) ) since I got into them a bit too late, but Axe and Fred are doing pretty well so far.

Other music: Dream Theater, Inflames (early), Dark Tranquility, Iced EArth, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, CoB, Turisas, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Bloodbath (haha) and tons of other stuff.

I don't know if I've done this before or not, but I started posting regularly about only a month ago or so so I think it's OK for me to introduce myself.

I'm 23 and first listened to Opeth circa 2001 when BWP came out, but at that time I didn't really care about them. I think I've been listening to them regularly since 2003 or something.

How much do I like them? Well, I'm not a really avid music listener, not one of those guys who listen to music 15 hours a day and can list the discography of 150 bands. I regularly listen to 10 bands or so, but before I became an Opeth fan it used to be much more. Why? Because now that I know Opeth so well, I can notice how simple other bands are and can't stand the formulaic simplicity they all follow. Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Solo/Chorus/Outro? I'll pass, I hate choruses and songs built on them. Since I got what Opeth was about, I've been mostly listening to "bizarre" bands like, say, Lykathea Aflame, Sunn 0))), Voivod (Voivod's music makes me uneasy) etc. I used to listen to a lot of In Flames (and still maintain that up to and including Clayman their music were some of the best metal ever recorded) but I now hate them due to reasons above.

I suppose this is the place to introduce myself. I was first turned on to Opeth by a friend in '05 who suggested Damnation. I was blown away by that CD, but didn't give the rest of their stuff a chance as I wasn't into the whole Death Metal / Cookie Monster Vocals thing. I was always more of a metal / progressive metal / symphonic metal fan. Stuff like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nightwish etc etc. Despite the fact that Damnation quickly became one of my favorite CD's ever, it took me until 2007 to take a chance on Deliverance. Again...blown away! Anyways, long story short, I now own all of their releases except for Orchid (I'm going to get it pretty soon) and quite frankly, I consider Mikael Akerfeldt an absolutely brilliant songwriter and arranger. And not only have I grown used to his death growls, but I've grown to appreciate them as well. It's hard to say what my favorite albums are, as each is very unique. But the ones that I seem to listen to the most are Morningrise, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Watershed. I love thier contrasts between light and dark, brutality and frailty, good and evil. I also love the complexity of their arrangements and the fact that they never seem afraid to go out on a limb and attempt new things. Anyways, greetings from a self proclaimed Noob. :)