Is Opeth the best metal band at this moment?

So are they?

• YES

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • NO

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Can't tell / maybe / not now but in the future they will be

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • The Lord of the Rings Kicked Ass

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
Ultimately, I'm just interested in your take on the aesthetic questions. Even when dealing with wholly subjective questions like artistic value, it is always instructive to get a glimpse from other perspectives.

I agree. And I think you misread the tone of my other post. I was not being fractious as you seem to think. I don't mean to prove anyone wrong of anything. I was offering to discuss (vs argue) generally about aesthetics and particularly about your post on Opeth's music. This doesn't in my mind equate to mortal combat.

I'll see what I can do, but not now. (this topic has gotten nauseating enough for tonight)

Originally posted by E V I L
I agree. And I think you misread the tone of my other post. I was not being fractious as you seem to think. I don't mean to prove anyone wrong of anything. I was offering to discuss (vs argue) generally about aesthetics and particularly about your post on Opeth's music. This doesn't in my mind equate to mortal combat.

I'll see what I can do, but not now.

I knew exactly what you intended, though I did find the backhanded slap at me rather distasteful.

Originally posted by Armageddon's Child

I knew exactly what you intended, though I did find the backhanded slap at me rather distasteful.

considering your posts, the fact that you have called people names ("twit" among other things), and that you criticized my correct use of diction...

Originally posted by E V I L

considering your posts, the fact that you have called people names ("twit" among other things), and that you criticized my correct use of diction...

I criticized your rather pretentious use of an archaic term in taking a backhanded slap at me. The girl I called a twit acted like one, making long-winded and ultimately unfounded accusations against me that were ultimately based on her inability to distinguish between two VERY DIFFERENT PEOPLE (myself and RogTheFrog). I will continue to call a spade a spade and a twit a twit, if you don't mind.

I criticized your rather pretentious use of an archaic term in taking a backhanded slap at me. The girl I called a twit acted like one, making long-winded and ultimately unfounded accusations against me that were ultimately based on her inability to distinguish between two VERY DIFFERENT PEOPLE (myself and RogTheFrog). I will continue to call a spade a spade and a twit a twit, if you don't mind.

That's nonsense. "Infantine" is less pretentious than "curmudgeonly" and about half the words you've decided to use so far. It's also used by many folk besides me. We're also talking about a difference of a single letter.

There's a fine line between being peevish and being childish (if there is a line at all). You've been peevish (in a childish manner) disrespectful and dismissive since the beginning. Another trait of being childish is the lack of self-criticism. Apparently, you're blind to your own actions. You should check them out and assess yourself with a more honest eye. Being informed (or not being informed) does not excuse you from being decent.

I do mind.

AC, I seem to remember you referring to various individuals as "kid" and even "junior".

If that's not insulting then I don't know what is... Well, I do, but you know what I mean.

Forgive me for not being able to distinguish between two argumentative, negative people who made their board debut in the same thread. Trust me, now I can tell you two apart.

Toxicity is better than BWP... so @ the moment System of a Down is a better metal band. This might be a temporarary state of affairs until the next albums come out, but judging by the inverse correlation between the quality of Opeth albums and time, things are not looking too hopeful...

devilfinger.gif

Originally posted by Wolff
Toxicity is better than BWP... so @ the moment System of a Down is a better metal band.

Quite bold Wolff, don't back down if you're attacked on this one (as if you actually would). :lol:

Opeth may not be the best metal band but they are certainly my favorite.

well this sure was quite an interesting read!

well, ignoring the abusiveness of both sides and sticking with the points presented.... heres what ive got to say (as useless as it will probably be.... ) ->

there are many different things to judge music on (originality, song structure, emotion, imagery, etc) and no band will ever be a master of every field. People will connect with some music, understand it fully, while others may just see it as a "bunch of riffs", or "just some noise", but the point is that its only once you see what the music is really achieving (once u connect with it and feel it for yourself) that you can really judge how good a certain band is. So probably the best thing you can do in a situation where you dont love some music, is to listen to people who do love that music.

Armageddon's Child raised some interesting points about opeth, and i can see how someone who only 'likes' opeth would say those things. I don't nescesarily agree with them, but what im saying is that i can see how those conclusions could be drawn from someone who didnt fully appreciate the music. I also can see how i do the same with Nile and similar, i have reasons why i think they arent as good, but i realise that those reasons are only important to me, to a Nile fan the points i could make would be dismissed in an instance.

i have a lot more to say on the subject, but damn it my brain has stopped working.

so i basically think that opeth are one of the best, i also realise that they have their flaws (as ALL bands do) but i believe any flaw is unimportant and far outweighed by brilliance (which i say because no band comes even close to Opeth in MY OPINION, Opeth acheive everything i want and do it perfectly and i know many people agree. And that is whats important isnt it? its not how they achieve, but what they achieve). Hence i conclude that this thread is (as stated right near the beginning) based solely on personal tastes/opinion, with plenty of intellectual 'backing up' of opinions but it all means nothing really. Still an interesting read though!

there is only Opeth, at this time.

Who is the best or who is the worst? Opeth is or Opeth is not...one could never prove because this is all based on opinion and opinion only and one cannot argue opinion...only facts.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose

Who is the best or who is the worst? Opeth is or Opeth is not...one could never prove because this is all based on opinion and opinion only and one cannot argue opinion...only facts.

If only more people understood that basic truth...:err:

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
well this sure was quite an interesting read!

well, ignoring the abusiveness of both sides and sticking with the points presented.... heres what ive got to say (as useless as it will probably be.... ) ->

there are many different things to judge music on (originality, song structure, emotion, imagery, etc) and no band will ever be a master of every field. People will connect with some music, understand it fully, while others may just see it as a "bunch of riffs", or "just some noise", but the point is that its only once you see what the music is really achieving (once u connect with it and feel it for yourself) that you can really judge how good a certain band is. So probably the best thing you can do in a situation where you dont love some music, is to listen to people who do love that music.

Armageddon's Child raised some interesting points about opeth, and i can see how someone who only 'likes' opeth would say those things. I don't nescesarily agree with them, but what im saying is that i can see how those conclusions could be drawn from someone who didnt fully appreciate the music. I also can see how i do the same with Nile and similar, i have reasons why i think they arent as good, but i realise that those reasons are only important to me, to a Nile fan the points i could make would be dismissed in an instance.

i have a lot more to say on the subject, but damn it my brain has stopped working.

so i basically think that opeth are one of the best, i also realise that they have their flaws (as ALL bands do) but i believe any flaw is unimportant and far outweighed by brilliance (which i say because no band comes even close to Opeth in MY OPINION, Opeth acheive everything i want and do it perfectly and i know many people agree. And that is whats important isnt it? its not how they achieve, but what they achieve). Hence i conclude that this thread is (as stated right near the beginning) based solely on personal tastes/opinion, with plenty of intellectual 'backing up' of opinions but it all means nothing really. Still an interesting read though!

Wow, someone who actually GETS IT! This is a purely subjective question (or at least effectively subjective).

Wow, someone who actually GETS IT! This is a purely subjective question (or at least effectively subjective).

Exactly... as pointed out in the first page by Despot and Hoser. Glad you came to an understanding, finally.