Is Slipknot metal?

is slipknot metal?

• yes

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • no

Votes: 68 55.3%

• Total voters
well dont go over the top debating this, we all know that already, i think the point some people are making is that they don't consider Slipknot metal, but more of a joke.

i think the reason some of us are ''angry'' or whatever is because to them (and me i suppose in a way) slipknot gives metal a bad name (in their opinion of metal of course and everyones deffinition is gonna be different) , i mean its annoying that if i were to say i liked ''metal'' people instantly put you into a catagory of those annoying little 12 year olds, i mean its not the end of the world and i dont lose sleep over it but thats not the point.

Originally posted by Lee_B

It IS metal and your comment about the poprock from before is nothing short of idiotic. I'd like to know what exactly isn't metal about Slipknot?

If Slipknot isn't metal then what is? What does that make Manowar, the self-proclaimed "Kings Of Metal" who aren't even nearly as heavy as Slipknot?

Being metal isn't anything to do with how popular a band is. It is, fudamenatally, about heavy guitars and heavy riff-driven music, which Slipknot have by the truckload.

They may well be really popular. They may well dress like clowns. They may well have a fan-base of 12 year old kids. But they're metal none the less. Fact. The more you argue the more foolish you'll make yourself look.

When I was 12 me and all my pals were all wearing Iron Maiden shirts. They were the Slipknot of the early 80's! Are they not metal either?

Lee B

Metal requires complexity, and melody. Take that away, and you're left with hard rock.

Originally posted by Pieguy

Metal requires complexity, and melody. Take that away, and you're left with hard rock.

wich is what i have been saying since i first heard korn in 94. Its just heavy alternative rock. I agree that not every heavy riff is metal, it also has nothing to do with popularity, is just a certain song that puts slipknot to mainstream than to metal ( by mainstream i mean nu-metal but since its not new ( its been around for what 8 years?) and not metal ( its just weird alternative rock stuff with way more distorsion and agressivity ). If some metal bands and some mainstream bands end up sounding close its entirely logical, since any alternative rock fan can pick up some metal as influence but still do alternative crap. When i listen to korn and all the bands they spawned, i heard elements from metal, from grunge and from alternative rock. In equal parts, so its just a new genre on its own. Slipknot is part of that new genre on its own, it would pass as metal shure, but only if its roots were on metal, but since they are not well its obious than they are not metal, they sound didnt spawned from nowhere, and they major influence are mainstream rock bands who are not metal either, so its just a coincidence that slipknot resembles metal sometimes.

Misanthrope ( over explaining )

better right a letter to darkthrone telling them they're only 'black-hardrock' and not black metal...

seriously, they are metal...if you cant deal with it then i would suggest that you are so totally pathetic that you should be killed for sport...so some metal is crap, deal!

Metal is aggressive music with heavy guitars and intense drumming right? Slipknot has very heavy guitars, VERY intense drumming and is VERY aggressive.

So you may not like them, but technically speaking they ARE Metal, can't deny that...

there's probably more metal bands out there WITHOUT melody, i dont know where you got that definition from.

and come on, if slipknot were an underground band, there is no way you'd say they werent metal.

download the song "People = shit", HOW can you say thats not metal?

Originally posted by phon1c
there's probably more metal bands out there WITHOUT melody, i dont know where you got that definition from.

and come on, if slipknot were an underground band, there is no way you'd say they werent metal.

download the song "People = shit", HOW can you say thats not metal?

I've never heard a metal band without a lead guitarist.

Not true. I can accept that some bad mainstream bands/albums are metal. For example, Metallica - Metallica.

Because it's not metal. It's nu metal played a little bit faster, with a thrash metal wanabe singer.

The argument that Slipknot is not metal is as stupid as the person (can't remember exactly who it was... Misanthrope perhaps?) who said Pantara wasn't metal just because they USED to be a glam band or whatever... So fuck'n what... Tastes change... But anyways, if you want to get technical, nobody can claim to be pure metal because metal hasn't ALWAYS been around... Opeth is REALLY a dark-classical/jazz band or whatever... Genre's are fuck'n stupid and everybody should just shut the fuck up and enjoy their music instead of getting all bent out of shape because somebody disagrees with your ignorant opinion... Slipknot is metal... or not... Who gives a flying fuck?!?

I've never heard a metal band without a lead guitarist.

Not true. I can accept that some bad mainstream bands/albums are metal. For example, Metallica - Metallica.

Because it's not metal. It's nu metal played a little bit faster, with a thrash metal wanabe singer.

HAHA! I guess Rush is no longer Progressive Rock because their new album doesn't have leads... MUHAHAHAHA! Your ignorance is amazing!

metal is a damn large category....

slipknot isn't neoclassical (read: complex/dynamic). in the traditional sense of the word "metal" (read: loud, aggressive), they fit the bill, because they are

a) loud
b)aggressive

the fact that they mix in jazz/nu-metal (read: groovy) with their death/grind influences doesn't mitigate their "metalhood"

"punk"? :err: are we talking about the same band?

Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat is awesome... especially 'gently'. I own the 'self titled' one, and it's got a few decent tracks on it...

It is by no strech of the words 'amazing' or anything, but it is okay.

What exactly is your BEEF with this band? It can't be because of the 'riffs are simple' thing, because 80% of you listen to Katatonia, and THEY are not complex, or even METAL. ... And while opeth are progressive (...they have long songs :rolleyes: wow, that's progressive), they are not complex or technical at all.

It can't be the vocals thing, because you all listen to opeth, and opeth's growls are hideous...!! And slipknot's screaming is decent, and the clean singing is pretty good.

...And those of you who have said 'i haven't heard their first one, but i've heard the POPULAR one, so they suck', tell me, do you have the same mentality towards Megadeth, or Metallica? In that Load sucks, so obviously all their first albums suck too??

You're a bunch of fools, and this thread is proving it.

I presonally don't like Slipknot too much, aside from MFKR, and i don't see how you people can listen to the CRAP you listen to and say that slipknot is crap, when the only thing really different with slipknot is the popularity...

Get over yourselves you elitist assholes.

I like Iowa. I don't know what genre it is and I don't care. It's good for me to listen to when I'm angry.