Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

It's the least thrashy song and not even too far removed from what Motley Crue was doing around the time, but it's still a catchy as fuck anthem.

Whiplash is prob the worst off the first four imo

Battery fucking rules, HBB you need to have a sit down with yourself after that one.

Shortest Straw really isn't that bad and contains one of my fave Hammett solos.

Duh Duh Duh Duh DAH duh
Duh Duh Duh Duh duh DAH
Duh Duh Duh Duh DAH duh DAH
x1000

It's not a terrible song but it's like Hetfield is trying to sing a speed metal riff or something. It easily has some of the laziest songwriting of that period.

I agree that Shortest Straw isn't bad, it's just not great. The main riff is kinda dorky, silly-groovy in a way that probably influenced dumb shit like 90s Megadeth.

Hammett's solos in general on the first four albums are way underrated on most metal forums.

I'd say that "Jump in the Fire" and "Escape" are the weakest songs on their respective albums, but they're still enjoyable.

Escape I think is pretty easily Metallica's worst song up through S&M. Jump In The Fire though is one of the best tracks on KEA.

As for thread topic I agree with The Butt on Paranoid & Powerslave. will never be a perfect consensus, but they are likeable from metal fans of all kinds.

Rust in Peace isn't really a thrash metal album, and it shits the bed with Dawn Patrol and the title track, but I agree that the first seven have some of the finest metal songwriting in existence.