Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

You've got to be shitting me, dude. Battery itself is a classic song. Much stronger than TUI and Escape. Total no-brainer.

Trapped Under Ice is a quintessential speed/thrash song, that riff (originally from Impaler of course) has been copied so many times ranging from Possessed's Death Metal to Helloween's Ride the Sky, and the intensity is incredible. Escape I love for the wonky drumming and sweet melodic chorus.

I don't deny that Battery is a classic, but it's one that gets old, much like Iron Man.

Actually you're wrong about that. Trapped Under Ice was written by Dave Mustaine, the riff is original.

No, you're thinking of Am I Evil. Trapped Under Ice was written by that black Jamaican guy who played in Metallica before Mustaine.

Your standard for a 9/10 must be quite low. Eye of the Beholder and The Shortest Straw are both serviceable, To Live is to Die has some good ideas considering it is a slapped-together tribute, and The Frayed Ends of Sanity is pretty cool, but none of those are 9/10s. More like 7/10s.

AJFA is pretty messy and/or repetitive on the face of it, loads of transparent gestures toward Serious Music in the absence of actual compositional intelligence - you can tell they were desperate at this stage of their careers to appear more clever and ahead-of-the-curve than they actually were. i still love it though, it has such an original sound and atmosphere and a number of really strong passages.

It's no more repetitive than Master of Puppets (some of those songs drag on for an eternity) from what I remember. I'm listening to AJFA now to see what my opinion of it is these days.

it's one that gets old, much like Iron Man.

Glad I'm not the only one that isn't huge on "iron Man". I don't even think it's due to overplay either, it's never been one of my favourites on the album.

Last edited:
Your standard for a 9/10 must be quite low. Eye of the Beholder and The Shortest Straw are both serviceable, To Live is to Die has some good ideas considering it is a slapped-together tribute, and The Frayed Ends of Sanity is pretty cool, but none of those are 9/10s. More like 7/10s.

As always, feel much better about my opinion when I know you disagree with it.

AJFA is pretty messy and/or repetitive on the face of it, loads of transparent gestures toward Serious Music in the absence of actual compositional intelligence - you can tell they were desperate at this stage of their careers to appear more clever and ahead-of-the-curve than they actually were. i still love it though, it has such an original sound and atmosphere and a number of really strong passages.

Metallica was compositionally self-smart, that's all you really need in metal.

Master of Reality
Vol.4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All
Rust In Peace
Countdown To Extinction
Youthanasia

Songs are 4,5 minutes to long.

When did I join ANUS?

ehh that post wasn't very anusy, and i should know lol. you don't have to be a self-appointed nihilistic eco-terrorist or whatever the fuck to feel that overcomplicating or over-repeating for the sake of it doesn't equal good songwriting. metallica were obviously more compositionally savvy than most metal bands, they just bought into their own hype a bit too much by that point i think. feels weird to be saying this when i'm normally the one defending AJFA on here but there ya go