Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

In that case

Paranoid 10/10
Sad Wings of Destiny 8/10
Reign in Blood 10/10
Master of Puppets 10/10
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 9/10

Epicus is just about my favorite album and RiB is more of an 8/10 for me in terms of enjoyment, but Slayer's had greater impact. Outside of Sabbath, there are no doom metal albums I'd give a 10/10. It's an objectively less-essential sub-genre of metal.

Epicus is just about my favorite album and RiB is more of an 8/10 for me in terms of enjoyment, but Slayer's had greater impact. Outside of Sabbath, there are no doom metal albums I'd give a 10/10. It's an objectively less-essential sub-genre of metal.
Do you mean that in the sense that it's probably the oldest sub-genre and is already inspired from the very first metal band so it innovated less? I can see that.

It doesn't have to be that way simply because of age, but retrospection ultimately limits its creative potential. Psalm 9, Epicus, and Saint Vitus S/T are probably the objectively best and most original spins on Sabbath.

I rated in terms of personal taste, not in any influental or objective scale. I thought the point was to see if peoples actual tastes aligned with the supposed classic status of the album.

Reactions: Baroque
In that case

Paranoid 9/10
Sad Wings of Destiny 9/10
Reign in Blood 8/10
Master of Puppets 10/10
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 9/10

I think this really needs to take into consideration what has had a truly lasting effect not just in the genre itself, but on the world. An album most PEOPLE are aware of and consider excellent, not just an album most metal fans are aware of. So, my gravest apologies to Candlemass, who are slightly more under radar than the others.

Paranoid 10/10
Sad Wings of Destiny 8/10
Reign in Blood 9.5/10
Master of Puppets 9/10
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 6/10

Reactions: Baroque
Paranoid - 10/10
Sad Wings of Destiny - 10/10
Reign in Blood - 9/10
Master of Puppets - 7.5/10
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - 9.5/10

I think this really needs to take into consideration what has had a truly lasting effect not just in the genre itself, but on the world. An album most PEOPLE are aware of and consider excellent, not just an album most metal fans are aware of. So, my gravest apologies to Candlemass, who are slightly more under radar than the others.
If you go by that standard I don't think Sad Wings of Destiny really is up to the task either. I don't think many people not into metal and/or Priest would recognize even a single song from that album if they heard it.

So MOP is the undisputed classic, but GMD voted RTL as the best Metallica album in the Top Thrash Albums series.

Okay.

In that case, let's add RTL to the list.

Paranoid 10/10
SWOD 10/10
RTL 9/10
MOP 9/10
RIB 10/10
EDM 9/10

Thus far, it seems like we all agree on Paranoid and Reign in Blood

Edit: Never mind. EternalMetal just killed Paranoid.

I agree with the first part about it being Slayer's claim to fame, especially in the wider metal community. Those who deny The superiority of Hell Awaits are obviously objectively wrong, though.

I have a bit of a bias towards Show no Mercy, but I think I can agree that Hell Awaits is Slayer's distinct sound at its compositional best. I wouldnt go so far as being indisputable about it being the best though.

As for the influence on death metal, and extreme metal in general, I don't really agree. I tend to hear more influence from Hell Awaits in most of the extreme metal I listen to than RiB. Especially the the warped song structures and riffing styles from Hell Awaits. Take a massively Slayer influenced band like Morbid Angel for example. I'm pretty sure that going in to Altars of Madness they were listening to far more HA than RiB.

To me RiB was more symbolic of pushing the boundaries of thrash to make things even faster and more extreme, so I think its influence could be seen as more of a change in ethos than simply just a musical influence. As for MA, you can see how they tightened some of the ideas up from the pre-RiB Abominations of Desolation album that eventually appear on Altars of Madness that I cant help but feel was influenced by the more straightforward and aggressive approach on RiB. Considering that they already laid the groundwork for their sound before RiB was even released, id have to concede that it is a primary influence, but the polishing up of their sound for AoM and distancing their sound even further from thrash was definitely RiB influenced. I wont deny the Hell Awaits influence though, which is probably one of the bigger influences in their jam sessions that led to the initially rejected AoD.

For Puppets it even goes beyond thrash; they influenced prog metal bands (Dream Theater, FW circa No Exit, Confessor, etc), they influenced melodeath (the melodic approach in the Puppets bridge or Orion on a whole have definitely been imitated), with that album (and RTL) they really pioneered a more elaborate and BIG songwriting approach that most other bands weren't doing.

Good point. I tend to focus on Metallica's influence as being the catalyst to thrash metal, but what you describe is probably the larger chunk of their actual musical influence.

I guess ill bite. This is based on enjoyment since that is the point of rating these albums:

Paranoid - 6/10 - dont kill me, I just cant stand Iron Man or War Pigs any more. They are anthems for aging bikers who grew up in the 70s as far as im concerned.
Sad Wings of Destiny - 9.5/10 - Not 10/10 because I think Stained Class is stronger.
Reign in Blood - 9.5/10 - I think ive already said enough about this one.
Master of Puppets - 8/10 - Possibly a generous rating for me these days, but my overexposure to this album as a kid was my fault.
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - 10/10 - I hate giving out perfect scores, but this is about as good as doom gets imo.

Reactions: Phylactery