Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

I can't even imagine thinking that Master of Puppets is the one album that deserves to be called an absolute classic.

Reactions: CiG
I don't think anyone has disagreed with Sabbath. It's not my personal favorite but I think we can all agree Black Sabbath - Paranoid is an absolute classic. I mean, look at the track list: War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom... So many quintessential, classic metal tracks.

I can't even imagine thinking that Master of Puppets is the one album that deserves to be called an absolute classic.
It's only like one of the most revered metal albums ever. If we can't agree that Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood are absolute classics of metal then there is no way everyone here is going to agree on anything else.

Neither one is even the best album by the band that made them in many people's eyes, so most people won't agree on that. As I said earlier, I can't imagine thinking that particular album is the one absolute classic anyway. There are too many other albums that I see as plainly better.

Reactions: Phylactery
Neither one is even the best album by the band that made them in many people's eyes, so most people won't agree on that. As I said earlier, I can't imagine thinking that particular album is the one absolute classic anyway. There are too many other albums that I see as plainly better.
A lot of people here prefer Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy to their later material but generally concede that Reign in Blood is a classic also. This is why I suggested Reign in Blood. South of Heaven is my fave Slayer album but I'm happy to concede that Reign in Blood is the absolute classic that most people here would agree with as I love it almost as much.

Most people here prefer Ride the Lightning to Master of Puppets. For me they're pretty much tied but I'd happily take either as the agreed on absolute classic. But it won't happen though because theres no way everyone here is going to agree on anything ever.

In summary, this thread is pointless.

Well gee golly it's a bunch of disagreement. And here I thought I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Shame on you Elric, you were obviously baitin for a debate. The Hall of Fame thread accomplishes the task you seek more precisely, by elimination.

My vote goes to Paranoid.

Paranoid is definitely the obvious pick, considering it was probably the number 1 influence on metal as a movement. I definitely acknowledge it's status as a classic even if I cant listen to it these days due to overexposure.

As for Master of Puppets, its also undeniably a classic given how much it influenced the development of the thrash scene. Then again, the ball was already rolling after Kill em All and Ride the Lightning, so MoP's popularity was probably more due to Metallica already becoming a prominent name in music than it truly being a ground breaking achievement much superior to RtL (I prefer the rawer and slightly less refined RtL). Id still handily give the influential edge to MoP.

Ive always viewed Reign in Blood as being Slayer's claim to fame, and thus probably being their most 'classic' album. I think this album was the biggest influence on death metal given it's sheer intensity. I agree with Satanstonail except for SoH which im not a fan of (I prefer SnM and Hell Awaits).

Venom's Black Metal for it's influence on black metal also deserves a mention in this thread. I probably prefer the slightly less influential albums that are Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales or Mercyful Fate's Melissa/Dont Break the Oath, but all are classics to me.

Well gee golly it's a bunch of disagreement. And here I thought I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Shame on you Elric, you were obviously baitin for a debate. The Hall of Fame thread accomplishes the task you seek more precisely, by elimination.

My vote goes to Paranoid.

Yeah, this isn't the same thing as the Hall of Fame since it's about specific albums and it isn't a democratic forum.The Hall of Fame does not round up even the bands that every person here likes, rather the ones that the most people like.

I was genuinely curious to see if there was even one album that everyone can agree on, although now I'm skeptical that there is. Paranoid is probably the closest thing, but I'm certain that some people here don't like it for whatever reason since some people here don't even like traditional heavy metal.

Ive always viewed Reign in Blood as being Slayer's claim to fame, and thus probably being their most 'classic' album. I think this album was the biggest influence on death metal given it's sheer intensity. I agree with Satanstonail except for SoH which im not a fan of (I prefer SnM and Hell Awaits).

I agree with the first part about it being Slayer's claim to fame, especially in the wider metal community. Those who deny The superiority of Hell Awaits are obviously objectively wrong, though.

As for the influence on death metal, and extreme metal in general, I don't really agree. I tend to hear more influence from Hell Awaits in most of the extreme metal I listen to than RiB. Especially the the warped song structures and riffing styles from Hell Awaits. Take a massively Slayer influenced band like Morbid Angel for example. I'm pretty sure that going in to Altars of Madness they were listening to far more HA than RiB.

Venom's Black Metal for it's influence on black metal also deserves a mention in this thread. I probably prefer the slightly less influential albums that are Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales or Mercyful Fate's Melissa/Dont Break the Oath, but all are classics to me.

I agree with everything you've said here, including favouring Mercyful Fate and Celtic Frost.

As for Master of Puppets, its also undeniably a classic given how much it influenced the development of the thrash scene. Then again, the ball was already rolling after Kill em All and Ride the Lightning, so MoP's popularity was probably more due to Metallica already becoming a prominent name in music than it truly being a ground breaking achievement much superior to RtL (I prefer the rawer and slightly less refined RtL). Id still handily give the influential edge to MoP.

For Puppets it even goes beyond thrash; they influenced prog metal bands (Dream Theater, FW circa No Exit, Confessor, etc), they influenced melodeath (the melodic approach in the Puppets bridge or Orion on a whole have definitely been imitated), with that album (and RTL) they really pioneered a more elaborate and BIG songwriting approach that most other bands weren't doing.

So based on what everyone has said, here are the obvious candidates: Paranoid, Sad Wings of Destiny, Reign in Blood, Master of Puppets.

So let's test it. Grade these albums on a 10 point scale. (I would suggest that if one of these albums doesn't get lower than 8/10 from any members, then we all agree it is an absolute classic).

Paranoid 10/10
Sad Wings of Destiny 10/10
Reign in Blood 8/10
Master of Puppets 7/10 (RTL would get a 9)
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 11/10