Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

paranoid 8/10
sad wings 9.5/10
reign in blood 9.5/10
master of puppets 8.5/10
ride the lightning 8.5/10
epicus doomicus metallicus 9.5/10

helpful i know

paranoid 8/10
sad wings 9.5/10
reign in blood 9.5/10
master of puppets 8.5/10
ride the lightning 8.5/10
epicus doomicus metallicus 9.5/10

helpful i know

What albums do you rate as 10/10 metal albums if none of these? I'm asking because I'm sure I've seen you say that you consider RiB to be one of the pinnacles of the genre and you've not given it a 10.

If you go by that standard I don't think Sad Wings of Destiny really is up to the task either. I don't think many people not into metal and/or Priest would recognize even a single song from that album if they heard it.

Victims is basically the one song that solidifies it as a classic. The heavier songs really aren't anything special for 1976, even if they are often very good.

I've expressed my opinions about MoP quite a few times on this forum. I consider it to be a consistently average album that has a few peaks here and there. A major step down from Ride the Lightning imo.

If we're adding Ride the Lightning into the mix then I'd give a 9/10.

Step up, actually. I mean RTL is awesome but songs like Trapped Under Ice and Escape are so below what that band was capable of during that period. MOP has every single song a 10/10. Not a bum note to be found.

Battery kicks ass. It doesnt matter if I like songs on RtL more compared with it, the song is still good.

10/10 for ride the lightning

and wtf eternal metal, it's still a classic. think about how you enjoyed it before it was played out.

I already acknowledged it as an undisputed classic on the previous pages. I thought that this was a preference/enjoyment rating? Im not going to be full of shit and say I like Paranoid, when out of choice I dont listen to it anymore. You cant tell me in the only one here who has an emotional relationship with the music they listen to. Bump my rating to an 8 if you take away War Pigs and Iron Man.

i've never heard such twattery regarding battery

I used to adore the song as a kid but it's kinda lame to these ears now. The vocal melody is Manilla Road-tier and the riff is pretty repetitive, and the chorus is longer than the fucking verses and seems to repeat forever. Probably the second worst song of their first four albums, ahead of only The Shortest Straw. All the instrumental parts are great though.

I'm not an aging biker, although I did grow up in the 70's, so my ultimate choice would be Paranoid. As far as the Metallica debate, RtL edges MoP only because of Leper Messiah. To me, the weakest track from their first three albums.

Escape is entirely meh. Trapped Under Ice, however, is not far behind the better tracks even though it's a bit basic. I'd definitely take it over half of MoP.