Is there anything TRULY EXCITING going on in metal these days?

Ugh. I'll stick to uploading my own stuff from now on since the internet is full of fail. Glad you like it though, cheers.

I was listening to it under "Recently Added" instead of my regular library, hence the warped order. I'm loving every second of this, though (NOTE TO SELF: listen to Vittra more often). I love it when a black metal band isn't afraid to venture into major keys every now and then. Metal this good is exactly the reason I started this thread. Re-downloading that Caina now.

Master's Hammer - Mantras

This album is simply out there, but what do you expect from these guys. There's electronic (dance?!) parts in some songs such as Bodhi. Really bizarre. Really fucking amazing.

Well, you are now 2 for 2. I LOVE the dance production/aesthetics that show up at times. Also the lead guitar lines. Now listening to "Ganesha Mantra" -- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??? I don't know, but I love it. Hasn't this band been around for a while? I know I've heard their name many times before. Is their earlier stuff anything like this?

Metal, you say? Why Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit!

n8lg7mqs7426nu0ys4hw.jpg

Master's Hammer has been around since the early 80's, but before Mantras the last thing they put out was in '95, and i'm not quite sure that counts since it was more of a "fuck you" album to Osmose.

"Ritual" has been mentioned on RC quite a bit in the past (1991 album), so that's likely why you remember their name (if not from elsewhere). It's quite different from Mantras, but it is excellent in it's own right and has a deserved reputation. Master's Hammer have always had their own style and vision - it's definitely worth a listen at some point.

Ritual is one of the best black metal albums ever. So it The Jilemnice Occultist for that matter.

Furthermore, there is a lot of gay in this thread.

Vittra: yeah, that's the one. I think I saw it a bunch of times in a local record shop and always wanted to buy it but never got around to it (Muse and Franz Ferdinand must have been releasing a lot of albums around then). Listening to this Caina now, loving it. You have to admit, though, that if MOJO and Pitchfork were reviewing this kind of thing then no one here would be paying any attention to it (are they?).

On a totally unrelated note, Pitchfork just gave the new Gorillaz 8.5/10. Say what you will about their demeanor/style, they get things right about 70% of the time and are fairly expansive as far as the genres they cover (while, of course, totally ignoring metal).

Furthermore, there is a lot of gay in this thread.

You are a tough dude.

You are a tough dude.

This is clearly the message I was attempting to convey. With that said, I don't think talking about metal evolving into an amorphous and unrecognizable blob by clashing with other genres is what constitutes "truly exciting" developments in the metal genre. But we don't listen to metal here in RC anyway, so it's understandable that that is what takes up the bulk of the discussion.

On a side note, I have nothing to contribute because we are not exciting by the same things.

With that said, I don't think talking about metal evolving into an amorphous and unrecognizable blob by clashing with other genres is what constitutes "truly exciting" developments in the metal genre. But we don't listen to metal here in RC anyway, so it's understandable that that is what takes up the bulk of the discussion.

the amorphous and unrecognizable blob

it is

you

With that said, I don't think talking about metal evolving into an amorphous and unrecognizable blob by clashing with other genres is what constitutes "truly exciting" developments in the metal genre.

Not what I said. It's GOING to happen, no matter what anyone says/thinks. Especially with the internet being pretty much the driving force behind music these days.

I guess everyone has been dancing around the question: "What IS the next step for metal?" A totally new sound that no one has ever dreamed of before? Which seems like it would be the only alternative to amalgamations.

Also, I don't necessarily consider an "unrecognizable blob" a bad thing. Kinda has to do with metal's infantile desire to segregate itself from the rest of the musical world, am I right?

Side note: the metal parts feel out of place on this Caina album.

black winter day why don't you listen to the sorgeldom track i posted a few posts back

it's amazing, like branikald meets slowdive

EDIT: here's something else, not available on youtube but it is here instead

http://www.myspace.com/whirling

if you like VED BUENS ENDE or VIRUS (NOR) or BERGRAVEN. it's not 100% original but it is a style that is seldom explored

Also, I don't necessarily consider an "unrecognizable blob" a bad thing. Kinda has to do with metal's infantile desire to segregate itself from the rest of the musical world, am I right?

I said that the clashing of genres as seen in a lot of newer 'metal' bands today is not a 'truly exciting' development in metal, not that it's a bad thing. My point was simply that it's not really an advancement of metal in the same sense that the birth of thrash metal as a result of the marriage between metal and punk was. At least it isn't yet, and I don't really think it ever will be.

I said that the clashing of genres as seen in a lot of newer 'metal' bands (putting 'metal' in quotes here. check me out.) today is not a 'truly exciting' development in metal, not that it's a bad thing. My point was simply that it's not really an advancement of metal in the same sense that the birth of thrash metal as a result of the marriage between metal and punk was. At least it isn't yet, and I don't really think it ever will be.

opinion duly noted can the thread continue now

you have to realize that the mostly linear development hard rock -> heavy metal -> speed metal -> thrash metal -> death metal stopped in the same second that a blaze in the northern sky dropped and turned METAL BROTHER against METAL BROTHER so you're talking about something that is meaningless

Erik: will listen as soon as Mourner ends and I finish this goddamn paper and email it to myself and eat lunch and generally get my shit together. :)