Is this music a fad

The_Isle

Jun 11, 2005
Sydney, Australia
This is not addressed to people personally as much as what you think will happen with scene on a larger scale. Do you think the music will go out with the times? Will things like wacken still draw big crowds in 10, 20, 30 years time?

Nevermind whether you yourself are a diehard supporter who will listen to something like what you listen to 20 or 30 years from now (if even you will)
do you think that in that much time something will continue to exist that resembles what exists right now and will there be new blood.

*edit: notice nowhere do I mention the word "metal" because I know it's not hip to use that word :D

i dont think its going anywher. 25 years and a crapload of evolution. metal isnt going anywhere. its gonna keep changing but keep its roots. if that makes sense. im drunk
~gR~

I think metal will be around in some form or another for many more years regardless how good or not it is.

I think the more commercial end will continue to "evolute"... and by that I mean use more commercial elements of music in their own "sound". The underground will keep it underground but, of course, the bands will rotate. As the "third wave of black metal" grows older a new "wave" will start with some cool new style of black metal, same with all the other genres.

The hardcore fans will stay the same and new ones will be gained. I don't know if people will actually grow out of it. If so then metal was more of a fad for those "fans". But I think extreme music is more of an aquired taste and cannot really be a "summer fad". Metallica, Pantera, etc. yes, it can be very trendy because it is much more commercial. But the extreme end is much harder for mass ears.

I think extreme metal will continue to be around in a similar form as it is today. Things can't get too different and if they do, there will most likely be a counter movement to get them back to the old style.

Whatever style is popular will rotate with the fads, like it has in the past.

I see myself 80 years old, sitting on a rocking chair on my front porch, wearing a Burzum shirt and saying, "Goddamn kids don't make black metal like they used to. Back in my day..."

unknown said:
I see myself 80 years old, sitting on a rocking chair on my front porch, wearing a Burzum shirt and saying, "Goddamn kids don't make black metal like they used to. Back in my day..."

:kickass:

I can't really see music with such a large following, with such power and strength dying out anytime soon. There's too much hate in the world for metal to die.

Just think some Finnish rock festivals (Ilosaarirock etc) which all started small, but has grown bigger and bigger for the past 25-30 years. Same is with the scece, maybe 'operators' (i.e. people) will change, but The Thing still goes on. Ilosaarirock is good example in that sense, that majority of the people who work at the planning HQ, were not even born at the time of the 1st festival (thou some might have been put into start there.) Yet the good atmoshere of the festival has been present all these years, no matter that the people who put it all together has changed many times. I would like to think that the metal scene should be the same, also in the future.

I predict that metal will gain a larger fanbase in the future due to the times, where violence in the news and popular media allow youth to acclamate to violent-sounding music, and thus be more accepting of metal and more willing to try it out.

Zephyrus said:
I predict that metal will gain a larger fanbase in the future due to the times, where violence in the news and popular media allow youth to acclamate to violent-sounding music, and thus be more accepting of metal and more willing to try it out.
Already happened with rap music, and who gives a fuck about people being more tolerant about "harder sounding music". That's not what metal is about.

Metal will never die. See Black Sabbath for details (literally, conventional methods don't work, they cannot be killed)

It might get a bit more popular, it certainly got my attention.... I went from liking rap since I was 10 and I never in a million years imagined myself listening to metal, I hated the stuff a few years ago, and now that's all I listen to.

Metal's got a lot of life left. Amazing albums have come out in recent years that would have never been predicted in the '80s or early '90s. Surely we'll be surprised and pleased at the creative bands that come along in the next 20 to 30 years.