It´s too bad...

prman

May 8, 2007
...that the most active threads on a band forum are the threads that are not actually related to the band.

Yeah, it's been 6 years since they released an album, and I wasn't even fond of PL

What's the latest on SX anyway?
I think Rullo had some health problems and recovered?
They played some shows?
Writing new stuff?

As usual, there's not much on the horizon (that we know about).

I believe Rullo has recovered or is close to being fully recovered. Thank God!

They've played a couple shows in Europe and South America over the past 6 months.

As far as new music, who knows. I'm sure Romeo's writing, but with Russell doing Adrenaline Mob, I doubt we'll get another album in the next year or two. Until which time, this forum is pretty much dead. On to MaidenFans I go...

Devin Townsend used to be very active on his forum, before the whole DTP thing took a flight. It was really nice to have him around, he's not an Portnoy-esque egomaniac. It was almost as if he was hiding from 'public life' on his forum.

Now, the PR team has a lot to answer for, however.

As far as I can tell Symphpny X has no PR team. A single person posting stuff occasionally on their facebook or here on the forum doesn't really count. And please don't take this the wrong way because I REALLY appreciate all the hard work Jax puts into Symphony X, but I feel the problem is with the band members themselves more than anything to do with the people working with them.

eyeballkid said:
Eh, I don't think that's true. Smaller bands, maybe. Egomaniacs like Dave Mustaine and Mike Portnoy, maybe, but I'd say most bands stay quite far away from fan forums.

I don't see what's so difficult in putting an hour or even 30 minutes a day to interact with fans or have some type of online presence.
The most recent examples of this is Matt Barlow opened up a facebook account and he takes the time to make a post a day or even reply to some comments every now and again. He even has a youtube account where he posts old nuggets of information about Iced Earth and other types of videos.
Another recent example is with the band Intervals. The guitarist/brainchild of the band, Aaron Marshall, replies to people on facebook, posts, and even has an ask.fm page where you can and ask him a question and he will reply to it.
Another great example of a band that is in similar size and popularity as Symphony X is Seventh Wonder. The bassist of the band, Andreas Blomqvist, frequently posts and replies to posts on their forum right here on Ultimate Metal.
And dude, it's not even new, small, or indie bands that do this. William Shatner is a regular on the social media website reddit. He frequently comments on the r/startrek subreddit and people love it. http://www.reddit.com/user/williamshatner

I can go on and on with tons more examples. Interacting with fans on social networks is easy, free and extremely crucial with smaller bands. Of course it takes time, but setting aside a few minutes at least every day can have a really positive impact with your fans.

It doesn't even have to be daily. Weekly or even monthly would be fine as well.
I agree that bands don't have any obligation or anyhting to do this but as CantoX points out, it's relatively easy and cheap and very rewarding for the fans.

Im a little bit disappointed to hear that they are unlikely to release new music in the near future, Ive been getting tired of listening to the same old albums over and over. Need some fresh Symphony X tunes......And about the Band-fan interaction.....the keyboardist of Power Quest interacts constantly with us on his forum. Thats another example of a band interacting with fans on their band forum.

And I agree, if only romeo or russell would drop by to talk here.....even once in a month would be better than nothing.

Though I agree that the band should be more interactive, I mostly think they should have a PR team. Other than some few people who happen to love talking with fans about every single detail, like Devin or Andreas, I don't think artists should be visiting their own message boards for any reason other than making an announcement. Most bands have PR and Marketing people posting as them on their Twitter/Facebook/etc. accounts.

Obviously, it's a different story with independent and unsigned artists who are usually younger and have a better grasp on technology. But, honestly, for bands to be debating with online fans could be a major timesuck.

Obviously, it's a different story with independent and unsigned artists who are usually younger and have a better grasp on technology.
Mr. Steve Williams(keyboardist of Power Quest)has been doing it since 2002 and it was never because his band was "unsigned" or "independent", and the Power Quest forum is right here on Ultimate Metal. So its not exclusive to those young artists or whatever, actually theres not even a single issue with a band communicating with the fans via band's forum, I assume the members of Symphony X simply cannot find the time to do it, not because they do not want to or because their "grasp" on technology is bad.

i used to think "bands should just be able to do their own thing, and release music whenever they feel like, and not worry about what their fans may think" kinda thing, but with SX, it really is a shame to see them be so quiet. maybe we should just accept that they've run out of gas or whatever. the magic days are over, and there are other bands to discover who release great music as well.

It can still be done. I mean, Dream Theater has embraced social media very late in their careers. MP handled that but after his departure, JR, JP and JLB have been very active (even more this past couple of weeks with the new album coming out).

I hope they do. I would love to know a bit more behind the scenes in the Symphony X camp.

Romeo strikes me as a guy who thinks all this social media shit can fuck right off. I think he even said something along those lines (except he's a gentleman and wouldn't swear).

I have no idea what he keeps himself busy with though.
Maybe he has picked up some exercise training.
Maybe he's writing a rock opera.

Michael LePond is a bit active over facebook, but he does it mostly on a "personal" way, he doesn't talk about the band much.

With this said, there is plenty of bands out there, famous and very famous, having a decent activity over social media, not necessarily using PR teams or so. Some of them have someone taking care of the "official" communications, but the members usually have their own account and interact with fans.

Maybe they're just not social media types. Shoot, when I was a kid, the only time you'd get to talk to a band member was if you could find your way backstage. Since I don't have the legs or ass for it, I never got to talk to any of my favorite musicians. Greg Howe at a music store and Lita Ford at a record shop are about my only memories. I was able to get a certain person with the right legs and ass to get me a Mick Mars autograph once, way long ago...