Jazz

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Does anybody else listen to Jazz? I like mostly guitar based Jazz, but am open to most other kinds.

Pat Metheny
John Schofield
Bill Frisel
Doyle Dykes
Miles Davis
John McLaughlin
Al DiMeola

There are others, but we'll see if anybody else likes any of this stuff.

Fusion is the damn shiznit... amazing solos in this stuff, I love bass solos heaps........ it's just fuckin insane, although I don't have a large Jazz collection... time to look through dads CD's....

Originally posted by DarkNoise
I love smooth Jazz, but unfortunately I don't know any names. All I know is that our band's drummer has a few Jazz CDs that are compilations that I really like. Crazy stuff, I love it. Can anyone recommend me some really good smooth jazz at all? So I know what to get exactly.

Like I said, I am a fan of guitar based Jazz. I also seem to favor the smoother sounding stuff. However, I am not opposed to a little of the funkier stuff as well.

Here is a good starter list for smooth guitar Jazz:

1) Pat Metheny (everything is good, but he plays styles ranging from solo acoustic to experimental noise). I'd recommend anything from the Pat Metheny Trio. My favorite is probably "We Live Here".

2) Bill Frissel (everything), my favorite is "Nashville", it is a little on the blue grass side. He is an amazing guitarist.

3) Al Di Meola (anything), my favorite is "Orange and Blue"

4) Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"

5) Buckethead "Colma", you have to get this one. He is considered a heavy metal guitarist, but this album is all smooth acoustic stuff. Amazing.

For something experimental, get Pat Metheny "Zero Tolerance for Silence". All the supposed "experimental" rock and metal you have will pale in comparison. This album is nothing but electric guitar, but it is very original.

actually i aint into jazz at all but some weird styles like freestyle jazz and free jazz are quite funny. especially if you play them yourselves fust for fun.

MAhavishnu Orchestra!!!!!
Billy CObham and John McLaughlin are amazing together.

Frank Zappa too!!! Especially the Mother's of Invention stuff.

MIles Davis Bitches Brew is phenominal.....Pick up the 4 cd box set, it's worth it!!

Mahavishnu Orchestra is definitely something that all metal fans could come to enjoy. How many 70's jazz-fusion bands use excessive distortion and double bass? Only Mahavishnu, as far as I know.

my favorite jazz players are patittucci,pastorius and miles davis.I think those guys are really good,or were,only patitucci is alive now.oh yeah and victor wooten.man that is some awesome bass playing

Yeah, I've gotten into a lot of jazz/fusion lately. I have come across some rare live shows of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Thelonius Monk, Jaco Pastorius, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc. Great stuff.

My brother let me borrow his tape of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Pablo De Lucia "Friday Night In San Francisco"...amazing acoustic guitar work.