Jeff seems to have soured on a Nevermore reunion

Bździgniew;11046453 said:
To be honest, I think Broderick and Attila would be the best replacement for Jeff imaginable. Sucks to see the soap opera unfold as we write, though.

Completely disagree. They're both amazing guitarists, for sure. But if we're talking a new NM album, we're primarily talking songwriting, not technical abilities. I'm definitely sold to the idea of Calvert&Smyth writing new NM songs. Broderick&Vörös, that would probably not fit the theme nor the atmosphere.

No arguing here, but remember, at best Tim can only contribute songs and maybe squeeze in recording time, but he sure can't tour. So two guitarists are needed. And I think Broderick might want to prove something. He never contributed to Nevermore musically. Although from what I've heard of his new band he's overplaying even worse than Loomis.

As for Smyth, I'd love to know what changed since this: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/nevermore/713515-so.html

I remember that thread. Things have cooled down since, and probably Smyth isn't a no go anymore. If they talk now, that means something can happen, why would you want to know more than that?

I would love to see them coming on this forum and telling things about it.

Oh, and having the new album recorded&mixed by Neil Kernon is a must.

EDIT: Why I don't really care that Calvert can't tour? If there's a new Nevermore album, there's probably not going to have a euro tour, or a really small one. So I guess I won't be able to see this live.

It means Warrel will need two people for the live shows even if Tim writes the whole damn album. Nevermore live with one guitarist doesn't work very well. Here's proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvert isn't a presidential pilot!

Pretty sure he can find ways to make time for some touring. And Smyth could too. Wouldn't be the first time some guys in a band have a job or other band commitments.

Jesus lol

I'd love to hear NM without Jeff, honestly. The guitar work in every album since DHIADW sounds the same...but that's not a bad thing, either. I love all their albums, but I'm just tired of that sound. I want to hear something different from NM.

Well you're in luck then. Sanctuary reformed and has already released a new album!

Please, stop pretending that Jeff wasn't integral to the Nevermore sound. I know it's the trendy thing to do around here now that he's gone, but there is no Nevermore without the Jeff/Warrel combo. There's just isn't.
Even if Warrel wants to "continue the band", it's going to be in name only, so what's the point? Calvert/Smyth combo would be interesting, but the chances of that happening are about as high as Jeff quitting Arch Enemy tomorrow to rejoin.

Plus, all the nonsense about how the band would sound better without Jeff just means you either never liked the Nevermore sound to begin with, or you're just full of shit.

Agreed. I think the frustration is simply because Jeff got repetitive when left to his own devices and really needed a good partner to push him the way Calvert and Smyth did. Also, seems like people don't dig his 7 string sound and would prefer he went back to six. Can't say I disagree. One of my favorite post-DNB tracks is "Create the Infinite" and it's a 6 string tune.

And I still find it hard to believe Warrel would make such a snap decision based on a video. Hopefully they talk when Jeff gets home from the tour.

really surprised at the Arch Enemy hate, but then again, looking at the crowds they play to, I'd say you guys are in the minority. Now In Flames? That's a disappointment.

Gonna be real funny if Blabbermouth picks up on this thread. I won't squeal but with all the lurkers, who knows.

really surprised at the Arch Enemy hate, but then again, looking at the crowds they play to, I'd say you guys are in the minority. Now In Flames? That's a disappointment.

Not trying to sound ultra underground, tr00 or anything, but when has that actually accounted for taste? Anyway, I would listen to Arch Enemy all of the time if not for the Wicked Witch vocals.
Then again, look at how many people said that didn't like Nevermore because of the vocals? Some people just don't like singing, because it's not screeching or gurgling into a mic (that's heavy!).

Maybe this is the issue some have with Jeff?

"The majority of Death Metal bands from the U.S.A are so generic, they all sound perfect. It is fast and technical but there is no substance. Bands forget about emotion when they strive for perfection. You should be driven by your intuition and not just be concerned with shredding on your guitar. Perfection is boring and uninspiring."

Yea I agree. There is no Nevermore without Jeff. There isn't even Nevermore without Van, in my view. Don't get me wrong, if somehow they got Curran or Tim or Steve or even Pat or any fucking combination of those guys back in the band, I am sure it would kick ass. But Jeff is iconic. A Jeffless Nevermore just isn't the same.

I do like some newer AE, but the whole "hot" female front woman is such a joke to me. Maybe I'm too much of a purist. I have nothing against women in metal bands, but this is just too forced. When Angela left I was really hoping that was the end of an era and they'd find a better singer. But nope, coincidentally, each time they needed a new singer it just happened to be a pretty, petite, fit, young lady with lots of make up. Go figure. Blah.

that Nevermore clip with just Jeff playing isnt that bad. It lacks a little, but still comes across good.

I am one of the ones that doesn't mind Jeff's 7 string sound. I think it is really good.

Arch Enemy is hard to listen to. The vocals are such a put off. I like that style vocals from time to time, it just sounds like pure crap with them. Maybe they will sound different with Jeff contributing. maybe not, though.

Their best albums were with another guitar player contributing, The others, not disrespecting Jeff's abilities suffer quite a bit from the "sameness" factor.

This thread is explicitly about Jeff saying "Nay" to a Nevermore reunion. So the whole question is whether Nevermore without Jeff is interesting or not. I would say no like many here, except for the Calvert/Smyth combo which I think would still be Nevermore and probably awesome.

After all these years I never thought I'd hear a new Sanctuary album, and it was awesome. As much as I like Loomis' playing, I'm excited to think of hearing a new Nevermore album no matter who plays guitars and drums on it. I know it's going to be good. Please make it happen. Thanks for all the killer music.

I don't think Van has been ruled out of another album either. We're all aware of his unfortunate family issues.

Jeff was great for Nevermore, but Murphy/Calvert/Smyth all had their hands on the best NM records. There could Nevermore without Loomis.

Smyth was the perfect piece for the 7 string era and Murphy/Calvert were equals for poe/dnb. I had assumed Jeff was the writer behind most of my favorites but until looking in the inserts did I realize those 3 were behind them for most. Any combination of those three would put out a fresh, devastatingly good Record behind Warrel.

It's obvious Nevermore is Warrel's baby and would make sure any new album would kick us square in the teeth.

Murphy contributed to PoE? I thought he was just a touring guitarist for DHiaDW.

Interesting how no one here wants to consider Broderick.

Murphy contributed to PoE? I thought he was just a touring guitarist for DHiaDW.

Interesting how no one here wants to consider Broderick.

It only lists Pat O'Brien for PoE in the booklet. I thought it had been assumed for almost the last two decades that he was the co-writer on that album. Broderick is one of my favorites too, but I can't see him joining Nevermore on a permanent basis after getting some of that Megacash. Plus, I would rather he go back to Jag Panzer.