JRT12's Stinnett Guitar build

STINNETT

Bad / Nationwide
Dec 12, 2005
USA
www.stinnettguitars.com
Action is oficially kicked off on JRT12's guitar - and after speaking with him, we both though it would be a cool idea to cover the build with a thread right here.

Seeing how this is just beginning, there's not much to show yet - but there will be in the coming weeks.

Today I've selected the wood for the neck laminates. These are all from the same board and there is some great flame in them - especially considering that they're rough and totally dry. Going to look killer with some finish!

100_2143Large.jpg

100_2144Large.jpg

Speaking of necks, this one is going to get a bound ebony board with offset dots - and also I'm going to add carbon fiber rods. They will increase the stiffness and ensure that there are no dead spots anywhere on the neck.

More pics soon.

Fuck yeah man, are you planning on making it a natural finish again, or some sort of dye? Also, how exactly does one do binding (especially on a neck), anyway?

And I spy an inquisitive golden nose! :D

This one will get an oil finish, undecided yet on whether I will stain the body first. I've got to get some sample pictures together for him to check out.

You bind the fretboard by simply machining it a little narrower than it needs to be and gluing the binding material on there before it's fretted. Black plastic in this case.
It makes for more work when fretting, but it's worth it.

This one will get an oil finish, undecided yet on whether I will stain the body first. I've got to get some sample pictures together for him to check out.

Have you tried staining wood with red wine? I saw some jazz boxes that were stanied with merlot and it looked amazing. Maybe if you have a little trim wood left over you could try different stains on it.

Ah, coolness - black plastic on an ebony board, though? I would've gone white, personally, but it ain't my guitar! (sadly :erk: )

Haha, giving it the smell test :D

Well, I wanted the benefits of the binding without it being very noticable - to stay in keeping with the understated design of the guitar. You won't notice it until you handle it.

Well, I wanted the benefits of the binding without it being very noticable - to stay in keeping with the understated design of the guitar. You won't notice it until you handle it.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what benefits do binding provide apart from the obvious asthetics?

No fret slots (or visible fret tangs) on the sides of the neck!
To me, that's as much about feel as it is looks.

One could remove part of the fret tang and fill in the slots so that ithey were smooth and invisible, but if I'm going that far I'd rather just use binding.

No fret slots (or visible fret tangs) on the sides of the neck!
To me, that's as much about feel as it is looks.

One could remove part of the fret tang and fill in the slots so that ithey were smooth and invisible, but if I'm going that far I'd rather just use binding.

I agree with ya.... The guy that built my guitar told me about this also....

Keep this thread updated. I'm fascinated with this stuff. I'm still kicking myself about missing your introductory offer just by a month or so. Grrrrr. :)

I know this isn't nearly as interesting as actual woodworking pics - but I thought I would show you guys the 3D model I've done of this guitar.
I do 3D design for a living, so it was only natural when I got into luthiery to design everything in 3D and produce some detailed plans before I ever cut any wood. I think this helps me to build far better guitars.

These have some approximate wood textures overlaid - the mahogany I'm using is not that color! :lol:

view-1.jpg

view-2.jpg

view-3.jpg

view-4.jpg

with a Floyd? One word.....WANT! Ebony fretboard? I've never played ebony, except on my bass...but have always wanted one. How is the tone/feel in comparison to rosewood and maple? (just curious) I'm a big fan of maple fretboards.

with a Floyd? One word.....WANT! Ebony fretboard? I've never played ebony, except on my bass...but have always wanted one. How is the tone/feel in comparison to rosewood and maple? (just curious) I'm a big fan of maple fretboards.

Having guitars with ebony, rosewood and maple boards, I'd say maple sounds much brighter than ebony and rosewood is kinda in between. I like all of them. Ebony feels and sounds just very smooth and "round".

The general consensus is that maple is the brightest / snappiest, with ebony a little ways behind, and rosewood being the softest and thus smoothest sounding of the trio. I pretty much agree with that, but I think the differences can be pretty subtle, soundwise.

Maple is usually laquered, so ebony obviously feels totally different. It requires no finish, just a little oiling now and then to keep it from drying out, so it has a really smooth, natural feel. I don't think it sounds tremendously different from rosewood - maybe a bit brighter, a little more attack. It's much denser and harder, so that's to be expected.