Just got Morningrise

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
I got Morningrise today and I'm just listening to it now - first impressions are :- it's a lot more like black metal than anything from MAYH to Deliverance (no real death grunts); not many heavy riffs - more technical licks; a very loud bass (which I dont like so far, especially on the first song - Death had a bass sound like this on a song I think on Individual Thought Patterns and I didn't like it then either), productions not as good as their later stuff. Overall not as heavy guitar wise as anything else I've heard from them.
This is just my first listen to I'm not saying it's shit, just giving first impressions. I've heard a lot of Opeth fans say this is their best album so I'll keep listening to it, but it'll have to be good to be better than Deliverance or Blackwater!!
I'm such a noob... :loco:

Jerkface said:
You just got Morningrise now?? Where the hell have you been the last 7 years?? Watching MTV I'll bet.

No I've got hundreds of metal cds but they're all by older bands like Maiden, Death, Motorhead, Anthrax etc. I'm not a newbie to metal I've been listening to it for 14 years - it just took me a long time to discover Opeth! Let's face it, not many newer bands can come close to classic Maiden, AC/DC or Metallica. Opeth are one of the few.

Reactions: DE
TakinTheMusicBack said:
No I've got hundreds of metal cds but they're all by older bands like Maiden, Death, Motorhead, Anthrax etc. I'm not a newbie to metal I've been listening to it for 14 years - it just took me a long time to discover Opeth! Let's face it, not many newer bands can come close to classic Maiden, AC/DC or Metallica. Opeth are one of the few.

*searches for thumbs up emoticon*

*fails*

*grunts*

*reps you*

DarknessEternal said:
*searches for thumbs up emoticon*

*fails*

*grunts*

*reps you*

Cheers mate! Must be the only site around with no thumb-up emoticon!
:tickled:

BTW My copy of Morningrise has a bonus track "Eternal Soul Torture" which is like a demo of a young death metal band (which it is I gather) - is this song on all copies of the album or is it a new thing? Good song, horrible sound quality though!

Eternal Soul Torture is an old Opeth demo, or something. I haven't heard it, but it's got parts of Advent or some such in it. The general consensus is that the song is atrocious.

Supermoi said:
The more you listen to Morningrise, the better it gets.

so true......You will find it goes through every emotion known to man and although it might take awhile to get use to it, you will learn to love it and admire it alot more as time goes by.

the first time i heard the first part of the first time i listened to the cd i knew it was going to be my favourite, and it still is :D

TakinTheMusicBack said:

I was wondering how someone could be so stupid as to even insinuate that Blackwater Park or Deliverance could hold a candle to Morningrise, then you said you liked Maiden, AC/DC, and Metallica... after that it all made sense. You have no taste. The best part of Morningrise by far is the bass, and when Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck. It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much. It's very much progressive death.

AC/DC are boring, same template for every song, only saved by the massive rock guitar sound. its still just a few overdriven chords. they had their moments though.

i don't get into formulaic rock that well...
btw, don't use a phrase like 'lets face it'.

morningrise is good

LuminousAether said:
I was wondering how someone could be so stupid as to even insinuate that Blackwater Park or Deliverance could hold a candle to Morningrise, then you said you liked Maiden, AC/DC, and Metallica... after that it all made sense. You have no taste. The best part of Morningrise by far is the bass, and when Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck. It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much. It's very much progressive death.
Oh yes i agree very much.When they lost their bass and drummer they lost their magic.Opeth is not a bad band and the still make good music but its not like anything they did on Orchid and Morningrise.And i find 90% of all Opeth fans having very bad music taste.Most here actually listen to pop and nu metal anyway.