Katowice 10th June 2004 (live review)

Sopel

the crestfallen
Jan 4, 2002
southern Poland
sopel.webd.pl

review from my mate (hel@zmierzch.net)

I knew it should have been a good show. Despite of many doubts - whether being in Poland for about eight times, recording in our country two DVDs, they had been playing as in their best years, I was convicted, that Anathema will give us all the best what they only could at 10th of July 2004 in Katowice. And now I admit, I wasn't dissapointed. But, from the very beginning...That day, wheather in the Katowice welcomed us a little bit weary - it was raining all the time and the atmosphere was so soporific - quite british- it may be said:) Traditionaly I neglet the support, cause I wouldn't like to criticise anyone there - but, for sure Delight didn't excited general enchantments. Anathema started to install beside aplause of the crowd few minutes after 20, it lasted a moment before they accustomed to Mega Club - in this time we could hear improvisation of Metallica's Enter Sandman and one Nirvana's song (kill me, I forgot). The main set, started from acquaintance melody - Alternative 4 intro. Every time I saw their live performance I wanted to hear introduce like this - Shroud of False! And club had covered in noise of sounds playing by Englishmen. Curiosity - someone from the end screamed " listen not sing!" which made everyone laugh including the band. Next we have to hear Fragile dreams, and indeed it was. Maybe it used to be a tradition of Anathema's concerts, but from the other hand it's not neccesery to change something which is so good. I was a little wanting after two numbers from their last longlplay - Balance and Closer. It seems for me that in Cracov they were better - may it was technics fault who didn't provide a sound properly ( so firmly at background of the rest was Les keybords), but also Vincent had problems with singing high tunes in Balance lines. It wasn't so good. But it's only next example that nobody is perfect in spite of few fans (grouppies?:) thought that day otherwise. Might be noticed certain dependence - namely Cavanagh brothers likes to chains song in "double" way - so the next couple was Pressure and Release from A fine Day to Exit. Seemed that this album, as it many opionions, is the most difficult in receiption in group discography, rather not increased such a big rapture. (However the crowd were singing along with Daniel and Vincent all Pressure chorus) Just Forgotten Hopes forecast what will be next... And happened a lot - epitaph Inner Silence and One Last Goodbye. For many people this two songs are attened and worship as the most beautiful in whole history of the band, and that night hit in Mega Club with much power and emotions. Yeah, it was unusual emotionaly and moved performing, even sent shivers down my spine. In my opinion exactly for moments like this it's worth seeing their concerts even for several times, exactly it's why their shows have sens. Anyone who saw Anathema that night for the first time, for sure had believed in while in magic bringing out of that sounds. But no more calm, from loud-speakers drains pulsation Empty melodies(!) Maybe the end misunderstanding with Duncan Patterson? I don't think so, but fact that Anathema played this song was surprising not only for me. Whatever,the crowd before the stage was quite big. Empty, next Judgement and Panic. Weird energy! It was time of impression that temperature in Katowice could taken the zenith - it was very hot inside. After few quickest songs, time for calming down again and cool kindle heads - Temporary Peace and Flying. It's wonderful affair when everybody gathered that warm June night were singing along chorus with Vincent - "feels like I'm flying above you" - yearn from throats of all filled the club. Proud sons of albion feels very well in Katowice, and their words that they enjoy coming back here are not only a courtesy, they had verify in facts. In the next part of performance auditionary heard also the most classical numbers from old albums - Sleepless (Serenades), Angelica (Eternity) or immortal Dying Wish from Silent Enigma. Also there wasn't lack of covers - this time it was Orion retrospected earlier Metallica and Comfortably Numb - Cavanagh's inspiration Pink Floyd. Before 23 it was after the concert. As always polish fans had time to make a few words with Englishmen, to make a photo etc. It's quite important cause testify that between fans and the band there is no any barriers, they are the same people as we all. To sum all, although few faults (though organisation that day was even good - strange ;), weird heat inside and tiredness (huge clench) it was really good evening. Anathema proved that they had easy to find with live shows and expose great fuck off for all those who said that is nonsene to go several times on the same concerts. Ok, it's fact that setlist is not changing very often but pleasure of seeing they live performance is always the same. I really enjoy that I could be there by following time, and I hope it was not the last

Anyone who saw Anathema that night for the first time, for sure had believed in while in magic bringing out of that sounds.
That's sooo true. I took my girl to that gig, she had never listened to anathema before and while they were playing One last goodbye she was like 'Oh fuck....' :)